Brandy & Gunbroker...

cloverleaf":w7rnhrfy said:
I don't know.... you've been giving the '06 some good workouts and press....maybe its time to do that with the 7 MAG? :) . You know already there isn't much the big 7 cant do with authority. In a #1? Well that should be a fun one to experiment with. Didn't you have a Winchester "coyote" in 7mag once upon a time? Maybe you need a 7Mag to keep it all in balance. CL

Years ago I hunted mostly with the 7mm Rem Mag. This photo is from 19 years ago, Wind River Range, Wyoming:
aJJqZOkl.jpg

I had a couple of different 7mm Rem Mag rifles, and I liked the cartridge tremendously. I thought of it as quite similar in capability to the 30-06, and used it accordingly. The big bull fell to a single 175 gr Nosler Partition, at about 180 yards. I'm sure a 30-06 with a 165 or 180 gr Partition would have been equally effective.

I'm hoping that I'll really enjoy the "new" 1S, I was really after a Number One that would have a bit less shove to it than the 375 does, not so much after a 7mm Rem Mag. I'm pleased about the cartridge though. In my book, it's a winner.

With the Thanksgiving holiday coming up, shipping, etc... I don't expect to see it for another week. And no - I don't think that it will have exceptional figure to the wood - that didn't seem to be the case from the GB photos. Am just hoping for another good Number One, with which to hunt from time to time. Thinking that it might prove to be an excellent rifle for my every-other-year Wyoming hunt... :)

Guy

Congratulations Guy. The 1S is pretty nice and it sounds like you found a good one. 7mm Rem Mag is a nice cartridge. Stock up on RL22.

JD338

JD338":2huedi13 said:
Congratulations Guy. The 1S is pretty nice and it sounds like you found a good one. 7mm Rem Mag is a nice cartridge. Stock up on RL22.

JD338

I just happen to have three pounds of RL22 on hand... (y)

That became my favorite powder for the 7mm Rem mag long ago, after H870 wasn't available.

Guy

Guy what grain of bullets are you planning to use in your new 7mm?

Got some great accuracy from RL22 and the Hornady 175 grain Interlock from a rebuilt Savage 110 a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filmjunkie4ever":1qmkpfvs said:

Got some great accuracy from RL22 and the Hornady 175 grain Interlock from a rebuilt Savage 110 a while back.

I bought two boxes of 160 gr Partitions, thinking they should work out just fine for mule deer, bear and elk.

Thought about the 175's, as I'd used a 175 Partition on elk long ago, but no need for that much bullet weight from this rifle.

Also picked up a box of 140 gr Rem factory ammo, 'cause it was on sale and I was in the gun shop.

I sort of doubt that I'm going to do a lot of target practice with this rifle, likely just work up a good load. Sight it in. Practice a bit before hunting season and call it good. Not a high-use rifle like my 308 "Green Machine" has been with thousands of rounds through it.

Guy

Congrats Guy! I think the 1S is the best looking/handling of all the number 1's (wow, a play on letters! :)) Well "now you have " to plan a Safari! At least a Plains Game, with a few long range Namibia Gemsbok & Springbok thrown in, oh yeah, there is a big "Farm" South or East ( I get turned around 'down under", Southern Cross all that) for the Black wildebeest and Blesbok!

You will read ( if you haven't already) about the accuracy issues of Number 1's, but there are "many" really fine gunsmiths who know how to accurize them now, along with trigger options. Besides...isn't that all part of it? You may end up with a Benchrest Quality Sporter! :) Good luck to you Pard.

Thanks. I have to admit that I'm getting a little nervous. Sent the money order a week ago and the seller, across the country, told me that he hasn't seen it yet.

Hopefully he receives it today.

Guy

Guy Miner":1oxmhmt4 said:
filmjunkie4ever":1oxmhmt4 said:

I bought two boxes of 160 gr Partitions, thinking they should work out just fine for mule deer, bear and elk.

Thought about the 175's, as I'd used a 175 Partition on elk long ago, but no need for that much bullet weight from this rifle.

Also picked up a box of 140 gr Rem factory ammo, 'cause it was on sale and I was in the gun shop.

I sort of doubt that I'm going to do a lot of target practice with this rifle, likely just work up a good load. Sight it in. Practice a bit before hunting season and call it good. Not a high-use rifle like my 308 "Green Machine" has been with thousands of rounds through it.

Guy

You aren't kidding Guy. The 160/175 Partition sure is a ton of bullet for the 7 mag. Plus, you can't beat the easy speeds with todays powders you can make from it. The 26" barrel just makes it even better. You thinking you'll put a 6X on top of it in the future?

Guy,
Congratulations! It should be a hoot working up a load and getting her dialed in!
V/R,
Joe

Pics or it didn't happen Guy ;) when it arrives it will be neat to see how it all shakes out for you. Considering the prices of No 1's these days sounds like you got a great deal on a lightly used rifle.

gerry":2oq0yjxc said:
Pics or it didn't happen Guy ;) when it arrives it will be neat to see how it all shakes out for you. Considering the prices of No 1's these days sounds like you got a great deal on a lightly used rifle.

I'm guessing end of next week, maybe a little later. This whole thing is moving slowly, but it's moving.

Guy

Photos tomorrow I hope. The rifle showed up at my local dealer and my goodness!

The grain is straight and nothing spectacular. There is some nice figure near the butt pad.

The metal is flawless! This 20 year old rifle appears nearly flawless - as the seller indicated. He said he'd bought it, shot it a very little bit, then cleaned it and put it away... Well, it looks and feels like a brand new rifle!

I'm very pleased. Since my plans for next year center on mule deer & antelope hunting, I think I'll concentrate on developing a 140 gr load vs the 160 gr bullets I purchased already. Am thinking a 140 at 3200+ will be a dandy combo for mule deer or antelope.

I popped a 1970's 3x9 Leupold on it tonight, just for the heck of it. May well end up using something different, but for right now, at least it has a scope.

Regards, Guy

Guy I have been looking at the lighter 140s to mid 150s for my 7mm lately as a deer/antelope/sheep focus rifle. The 140 grain AccuBond, 150 grain E-Tip and new 150 grain AccuBond especially have got my attention. The Nosler #8 claims just under 3250 fps with a 24” test tube for those 150s.

Curious to see which 140 grain load you end up with.

A 140 grain bullet launched at 3200 fps is a deadly mule deer/antelope load. Should be fun to see the final product. Looking forward to the pictures.

That would be a screamer with 140s at 3200+. Makes for an easy shooting rifle as well. If you ever decided on it, the 6x36 with LR Dots lines up beautifully with bullets in the 3200 range.

Rifle sounds great though. Can’t wait to see how it shoots for you.

DrMike":wlhzc1xy said:
A 140 grain bullet launched at 3200 fps is a deadly mule deer/antelope load. Should be fun to see the final product. Looking forward to the pictures.

That's what I'm thinking, similar velocity to my 25-06, but with a bigger bullet... (y)

Ive related many times that Dad had great success with 130 Gr speers. 140's should be right in there too! Lok forward to your load development. Have fun! CL

Guy, I think you made the exactly right choice for a scope on that rifle. Over the years I, (as I'm sure probably you) have run the riflescope power range from end to end. When I bought my ridgeline .300 Mag I had a 3X9 Kahles sitting in my gun cabinet looking for a home and it subsequently went on and has proven to be perfect for my needs. It's light, the right size (doesn't overpower the rifle) and I can spot my bullet holes at 100 yards with it. I think you'll be very pleased with your choice!

Time to time I name a rifle...

This one might have to be "Brandy." :grin:

LOL! :grin:

I couldn't remember what had happened to my 7mm Rem mag dies, ammo and components. I used to use the 7mm Rem mag often. Tonight, poking around in a seldom used closet... I found a box in the back corner. A heavy box.

Yup! (y)

Dies. Brass. Bullets. Loaded ammo. ALL 7mm Rem Mag! :grin:

150 gr Barnes TSX
160 gr Sierra SPBT Gameking
160 gr Nosler Partition

Loaded 175 Sierras & 175 Nosler Partitions...

One box in particular brought a smile to my face. It was dated Sept, 2000. It contained 19 cartridges, all with the 175 gr Nosler Partition and old H870 powder. I didn't recover the fired cartridge case from that Wyoming elk hunt. :mrgreen:

Only trouble - none of the loaded ammo or re-sized brass chambers in the new Ruger. So - no big problem. I can size the brass again, perhaps tighter. I can pull the bullets. And I do have a bag of brand new brass as well.

Had been trying to figure out if I'd sold the 7mm stuff, or perhaps given it away. NOPE! It's been here, waiting for a new rifle.

Sorry - still haven't taken any photos of the new rifle, nor have I had it to the range yet. I am however well stocked on 7mm Rem mag components. Glad I didn't order a new set of dies. The ones in the RCBS box are labeled 1973.

Yup, I'm pretty happy!

Guy

Back