Inconsistencies with .277 140 Accubonds when seating

bowhuntrrl

Beginner
Nov 1, 2004
I'm hoping NOSLER responds to this. I was doing some reloads today and noticed what may be a problem. After determining what COAL I was going to use, I set my seating die, and proceeded to load some rounds. I was looking for a COAL of 2.830". I loaded some up and then proceeded to check them with my vernier. They ranged from 2.827 to 2.835 yielding a difference of .008". I was measuring of course from the polycarbonate tip. Is it the tip causing these differences, are are the ogives that much off ?? I've never had this problem before, especially with BTIPS or any other Nosler bullet. Could this be a bad batch ????

The tip to base lenght varys in most bullets, and plastic tipped ones seem to vary more then others in my experiance. Try purchasing a Stoney Point or Sinclair comparator and I think you`ll find the lenght to ogive is with in 0.001 / 0.0015" max of each other even though the tip to base varys by your 0.008".

Measure some of the bullets before you load and you will find Ol' Joe to be correct. Tip of bullet to base of case is needed when magazines boxes determine your length and not ogive to lands.Rick.

These guys are good. Yes tip lengths can vary in plastic tip bullets as well as standard bullets. I've loaded match grade bullets and had varying COAL. When I checked with my RCBS Precision Mic the length to ogive was within .001". Other factors can be if you have a compressed load or varying neck tension due to case neck thickness. And though theoretically these factors can make a difference in accuracy and performance my main criteria is:
1. Is the load safe?
2. Does the load function reliably?
3. Does the load meet my performance needs?

Back