Oversize Nosler Brass

Whitesheep

Beginner
Jan 6, 2015
After loading about 4 boxes of Nosler .280AI brass over the years I ran into a problem with a recent batch. While at the range working up long range DOPE, 20 rounds from the same brass batch of 50 would not chamber by about 1/4". This was obviously not a seating depth issue as confirmed after measuring COAL to ogive.

After measuring everything it turns out the diameter right below the shoulder was about 0.004" to big. I neck size only for this rifle and neck turn. Running the bad brass partially through a FL .280 die did the trick, but should I need to do this?

Midway is sending me a body die that I guess I need to run all new brass, even Nosler, through before loading. Is this normal practice for those of you who use Nosler Box brass, not bag brass? With other brands and Nosler bag I size brand new brass.

What am I missing about "Fully Prepped, Ready to Load?"

Since you said you had used Nosler brass previously and this is your first issue using this particular brand of brass is it possible that maybe that specific lot or batch fell through the cracks in the quality control department?

Hi 6.5-sWv - exactly what I thought. It will be good to have the body die, but I'll just run everything through the body die before neck turning just in case. I have two boxes unopened purchased during a sale that I haven't tested and probably will not need for a couple of years.

Back