Increase trigger pull?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So, I have cubital tunnel syndrome, which causes pain and numbness in the elbow and fingers when it flares up. As of late the loss of feeling in the fingers happens more often, and is more severe. I have difficulty "feeling" how much pressure I'm putting on triggers, I think I may be better served by upping the pull weight a smidge for more feeling and dexterity, especially with my hunting rigs. I'm trying to put-off the surgery I need until the fall, ( after hunting season, of course ).

I understand wanting to put off surgery, but the loss of sensitivity may necessitate addressing the deficit sooner rather than later. Keep us posted as to the progress.
I’m doing my best to hold off, but spending all day gripping a steering wheel only exacerbates things. Doc says I’ll start dropping things soon, then I’ll have no choice but to go ahead in. Right now the Immobilization braces work well to relieve the symptoms, but those are a nighttime thing. I walk around looking like I want a hug 😂

Don’t think I would mess with any of your triggers since you plan on getting surgery. You’re experienced enough to know that when you move your finger from indexed to trigger the gun is going to go off. For you it’s just a little more of a “surprise break.“ Never really liked that description. Good luck with the surgery, I’m not sure I would put it off as much as I hate the idea of missing a hunting season.

Don’t think I would mess with any of your triggers since you plan on getting surgery. You’re experienced enough to know that when you move your finger from indexed to trigger the gun is going to go off. For you it’s just a little more of a “surprise break.“ Never really liked that description. Good luck with the surgery, I’m not sure I would put it off as much as I hate the idea of missing a hunting season.
Well, it’s not so much missing hunting season, which is a big deal, but because I left for a year and come back, I lost all my vacation. I won’t be eligible for more time off until I’m back for a full year in September. Unless I want to take unpaid time.

Understand the wanting to wait account of the work rule but don't put off so long as to cause permeant damage. One of my cousins did that with carpal tunnel surgery and when he finally had it done it didn't cure all of his numbness or pain. Wish you the best. Dan.

Understand the wanting to wait account of the work rule but don't put off so long as to cause permeant damage. One of my cousins did that with carpal tunnel surgery and when he finally had it done it didn't cure all of his numbness or pain. Wish you the best. Dan.
Yep, don't want lingering effects. I have to go back friday and see what the Doc says. Hopefully I can wait 3 months, but if not, I guess just go ahead and get it done, and take a medical leave from work. After all, we don't pay short term disability insurance not use it.

Man hope you get it all fixed up. Don't let it get too far would be my advice but I say that knowing I'd probably tough it out myself and let it get farther than it should. Don't do as I do, do as I say. Hope it all goes well with great improvement. Don't want to have to deal with that if it's possible to correct it.

Don't wait. It's not worth it.
A few years ago I started having problems with my back. With no warning I would just fall, and fall hard. With the fall a sort of paralysis would set into my left leg. I went to a Dr. and he said I had a stenosis in the lower back and it was serious and I shouldn't wait to have something done. But I'm a tough old bird and put it off. Of course the symptoms got worse until I went for a second opinion which pretty much mirrored the first. This time I didn't put it off again. The doctor said I had waited way to long and there was no guarantee he could fix my problem.
So a year ago this June I went under the knife and spent a week in intensive care then 6 weeks in a physical therapy hospital. I still can't walk without a walker and things are not looking too good right now.
Looking back I know I should have had the surgery ASAP. Maybe things would have turned out better.

A few years ago I started having problems with my back. With no warning I would just fall, and fall hard. With the fall a sort of paralysis would set into my left leg. I went to a Dr. and he said I had a stenosis in the lower back and it was serious and I shouldn't wait to have something done. But I'm a tough old bird and put it off. Of course the symptoms got worse until I went for a second opinion which pretty much mirrored the first. This time I didn't put it off again. The doctor said I had waited way to long and there was no guarantee he could fix my problem.
So a year ago this June I went under the knife and spent a week in intensive care then 6 weeks in a physical therapy hospital. I still can't walk without a walker and things are not looking too good right now.
Looking back I know I should have had the surgery ASAP. Maybe things would have turned out better.
This aging business ain't for wimps; that's for sure. Perhaps you should have had surgery sooner, but that is speculation at this point. You did have the surgery, and it does appear to have relieved the stenotic condition. Now it is a matter of regaining what has been lost. I pray you recover fully, and soon.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

JD338

Life is too short to put off something and suffer in the process!
Get it done now, and get back to the pursuits you love that much sooner!

Back