Info on Nosler 6.5mm BTs

pacer97

Beginner
May 11, 2007
Can any one tell me if the cup used to make the 120 6.5mm BT is the same as used to make the 100 6.5 mm BT. Thanks Alan.

i doubt it, the 6.5 120gr ballistic tip is a pretty tough bullet. and much longer than the 100gr.

baltz526":10baicta said:
i doubt it, the 6.5 120gr ballistic tip is a pretty tough bullet. and much longer than the 100gr.

I agree.
I`ve read on more then one board where posters have found the 120 gr BT to be tougher then its same wgt counterparts from other companies, and a better choice when used on deer. The 100 gr as stated is shorter and I believe designed for "Varmite" use.

Thanks for the replies, I guess that an AccuBond at about 110gr. would be nice if Nosler is listening. Thanks again Alan.

I checked Nosler's home page, and both the 100gr & 120gr are listed as "Ballistic Tip Hunting" bullets. Viewing the cutaways shown, and comparing that to the "Ballistic Tip Varmint" cutaways on that page, it is clear that both the 6.5's are heavier constructed (with a thicker jacket base) and designed for hunting purposes. Of note, Nosler doesn't list anything larger than 25cal in the "Ballistic Tip Varmint" section.

Here is the link:

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=5&t=6.5mm

dubyam, I was looking at the same and came to the same conclusion. Just not sure if at higher muzzle velocity from my 260rem the 100gr. will do the job on white tails at 200+ yards, the only distance you'll get a standing shot in my area of Alberta.

pacer97":v2nue9cn said:
dubyam, I was looking at the same and came to the same conclusion. Just not sure if at higher muzzle velocity from my 260rem the 100gr. will do the job on white tails at 200+ yards, the only distance you'll get a standing shot in my area of Alberta.

They should do just fine unless you bust them in the shoulder at 10 yards. Even if you do that my records indicate they are not going too far.

Thanks POP ; I think i'll give them try and see if 260 bdl ss likes them. With any luck Nosler will make a lite 6.5mm AccuBond the 130gr. in the 260 is to slow unless 10 yards away .

Rating:
Date Posted: 7/15/2005

Review:
I have used these extensively out of a .264 WinMag for crop damage deer kills in bean fields. Shots are generaly long. Accuracy is very good with groups running 1/2" or less. I have dropped most deer in their tracks with this bullet. One did blow up on a shoulder at 224 yards from a starting velocity of 3300fps.

That was my review on the 120 but have killed probably another 50 deer with it since then. I have identified 3 totaly different 120grs. The blow up was with a older one. More later. Bad storm fixin to hit us!!!!!

The 6.5/264 Ballistic Tips are not varmint bullets. The jackets are different as well between the 100gr and the 120gr. The impact velocity range on a BT is 1600fps min and 3000fps max.

reflex264":2b1k4x3r said:
Rating:
Date Posted: 7/15/2005

Review:
I have used these extensively out of a .264 WinMag for crop damage deer kills in bean fields. Shots are generaly long. Accuracy is very good with groups running 1/2" or less. I have dropped most deer in their tracks with this bullet. One did blow up on a shoulder at 224 yards from a starting velocity of 3300fps.

That was my review on the 120 but have killed probably another 50 deer with it since then. I have identified 3 totaly different 120grs. The blow up was with a older one. More later. Bad storm fixin to hit us!!!!!

I tried your loads with the 120's from my 264 Sendero II.

3285 at 1/4"
3350 at .65"

they rock!

Yeah and you forgot to send me the rifle for extended testing too!!!!!!!!!!! Did you lose my address or something??? :lol: Looks like you have a shooter on your hands. Now back to what I was saying before we bout got blowed away :shock: : The 6.5 ballistic tips have went through several changes. The current ones are the toughest. I have boxes of each different model. The solid base ballistic tip is the one that blew up. I have some early solid base 120s also as well as current ballistic tips. All are very accurate. The smallest group I have ever shot from any rifle was from the 120gr solid base ballistic tip from my .264. You can cover the group with the end of a pencil. I have killed numerous deer (maybe 150? but lost count) with the 120s. The farthest was 620 yards with bunches over 300 yards and have to rate the new one as a great performer. I am going to carry the 130 accubonds in the .264 this deer season to get some more data base filler. When do we get pics of your new toy?? reflex264

The 120 gr BT is also the bullet to use in the 6.5JDJ. :grin:

JD338

The 6.5/264 Ballistic Tips are not varmint bullets. The jackets are different as well between the 100gr and the 120gr. The impact velocity range on a BT is 1600fps min and 3000fps max

Sorry Nosler, I stand corrected.
I`ve no idea why but I`ve always considered the 100 gr BT as a smaller game/varmite instead of deer sized bullet style. I guess I`d better double check your bullet recommendations and not try to rely on my memory....... :oops:

This is a deer shot with one of the solid base/ballistic tips not to be confused with the present ballistic tip or solid base. These bullets acted like a very big varmit bullet. This deer is laying like we found it. Both legs broke, rib cage split and everyting in the rib cage destroyed. Chest was blown open. Haven't had this kind of thing happen with the newest ones. range was 275 yards. reflex264

bulletdamage.jpg

reflex264

Wow, you could field dress that deer with a spoon. :lol:

JD338

The 120grn B-tips continue to work fine on elk here out of a youth Model 7 .260 Can't imagine the 100 grainers not working for deer.

Powerstroke":287fknik said:
The 120grn B-tips continue to work fine on elk here out of a youth Model 7 .260 Can't imagine the 100 grainers not working for deer.

Powerstroke

Have you recovered any 120 gr BT's from elk?
What is your MV and shot distance?

JD338

JD,
I have yet to recover a spent round... range from about 100yds to 350 yds.
I've never used a Chrony, always look for what groups the best and use it. I'm at work at the moment, but believe 38gns of N-140 & CCI BR's

Back