Insulted by Mule Deer?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
It's general deer and bear season here in Washington. I was sitting on a ridge, glassing for mule deer and had also noted bear tracks & scat nearby.

A large doe, two yearlings and a young forked-horn 2x2 buck walked past me, maybe 25 yards away. I had my rifle, and a 44 mag revolver. The deer were quite aware of me. They milled around a bit, then bedded down, maybe 30 yards from me! I think they knew that my tag only allowed me to take a buck with at least three points, and decided to insult me!

Lucky Bucky - he knew he was too small for me to shoot.

The big doe seemed fascinated when I dug the camera out of my pack but was quite comfortable bedding down just a few yards from me.

The 5" 44 magnum S&W 629 with Altamont grips and a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight. It rides well in a "sourdough pancake" holster by Simply Rugged.

Also had the 6.5 Creed, a Bergara with a carbon wrapped barrel, set in a Boyds laminated stock and topped with a nice 3-15x Leupold. Not convinced that I need a carbon wrapped barrel, but I'm growing quite fond of the rifle. It's accurate and easy to shoot well.

So, it's been pretty amusing hanging out with the little deer family for a couple of days now. I think they've become my new friends, but I really keep hoping Lucky Bucky's big brother will show up!

Regards, Guy

Great pictures and story Guy. Love the rifle even if it is chambered in the 6.5 Man Bun! :LOL: We have a Boyds wood laminate on my son's Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington. They are fantastic stocks and are rock solid and strong. I had it pillar and glass bedded, and the checkering done on it by someone not far from home. I know Boyds does checkering on their stocks and you can order it. I can't tell if you have checkering on it or not? Looks like it might be smooth. Beautiful looking combination of everything on your rifle!!

Great pictures and story Guy. Love the rifle even if it is chambered in the 6.5 Man Bun! :LOL: We have a Boyds wood laminate on my son's Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington. They are fantastic stocks and are rock solid and strong. I had it pillar and glass bedded, and the checkering done on it by someone not far from home. I know Boyds does checkering on their stocks and you can order it. I can't tell if you have checkering on it or not? Looks like it might be smooth. Beautiful looking combination of everything on your rifle!!

Thanks!

This Boyds stock is smooth, but it was received with their aluminum pillar bedding and the barrel is free-floating just as ordered from Boyds. I've become quite a fan of the Boyds laminate stocks and sometimes wonder if they supply the laminate stocks found on many production rifles...

Guy

You had quite an experience.
That’s awfully close to our Maker being in beautiful scenery surrounded with some of his creatures, at peace.
It’s beats last minute farming before winter hits in Mississippi, that I’m sure of!

Back