Interesting article and got me thinking...

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
Ya know,
This article got me thinking...
Which bullet had taken more whitetail...the Remington
core- lokt or the old Winchester super x power point?

My gut wants to say core-lokt at least around here.
Growing up here (western pa) Green box was littered everywhere. Hills, Ames, Kmart, etc..(no walmart yet) and many Hardware stores...all seemed to have Remington Core-lokt ammo on the shelf.
The power point stuff might have been there too but I just feel like green was more dominate than that goldish/red box.

Maybe it was opposite in other areas ??

Anyways....

Here's the story

Remington Core-Lokt here.
The 300 Savage, 308 Win and 30-06 were plentiful with the 180 gr RNCL bullet

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_112337625.jpg
    IMG_20210627_112337625.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 4
I don’t remember either of those specifically but I do remember the red and black frontier boxes of ammo-I think by hornady although I don’t know what bullet they were loaded with-and back then I don’t remember it being a big conversation. But I was young so maybe I missed some of that banterDCB42805-577C-4286-B591-0AF0A0D112EF.jpeg
I did like the rem. Core lokt for several cow elk from .270 and .30-06 rifles

Last edited:
A friend has picked up an old box of 250 Savage for me. It is marked ...Herters (y), Wonder who loaded THOSE???? No idea on the original question. When I was a kid, Winchester shot shells seemed to be more common, but then model 12's were the shotgun model of the day. CL

I'd guess Remington or at one point Remington-Peters. After all they had the slogan "Deadliest Mushroom In The Woods".

As a kid, it is Winchester that I remember being on the shelf at home, for the big rifle, the 22 and the shotgun...do not really recall what was on the shelf at the store.
I know when it came time and I was buying the ammo for myself, it was Winchester and Federal.

Ya know...

The more I thought about this
it has to be core-lokt...

Example...
Growing up when you seen Weatherby ammo it was genuine Weatherby with the Tiger on front...

But....
I remember an Ames had Remington core-lokt in 300 wby in the little glass case.

It really stuck out to me because you'd only see Wby ammo in WBY mfg boxed stuff and only at genuine bigger gun stores but low and behold there was a couple boxes of Core-lokt 300 WBY I recall at my local Ames.

I'd also say Remington thunderbolt were the top rimfire round too. They were everywhere and lots of them.
Sub 10 dollars for a brick. My how times have changed.
Yellow jacket, Vipers, and so on and so on.
They loved doing that promo horseshit too with golden bullet and a dust collecting tin. That was later on though...

I'm confidently saying Core-lokt was #1 in ammo sales

image.jpg
The box says” made in Sweden “and “ultra velocity soft point”image.jpg
Interestingly the “grain” is not stamped on my box (bought as a collection item) and you can see the price handwritten on the box

@ firebird..

That's the Weatherby box I was speaking of

Nice!!!

A friend has picked up an old box of 250 Savage for me. It is marked ...Herters (y), Wonder who loaded THOSE???? No idea on the original question. When I was a kid, Winchester shot shells seemed to be more common, but then model 12's were the shotgun model of the day. CL
Does the box say where it was made? I have five boxes of Herter's 7x57 Mauser brass, brand new brass that says , "MADE IN SWEDEN" on the box. Took me quite a while but I learned that back in the day when Herter's was going great guns, that brass was made by Norma.
Paul B.

I haven't actually seen the box. Friend and I are far apart, but that makes sense. Back when Herters was big, Norma ammo could be found on the shelf too. All my 6.5 Jap brass is Norma and at probably 60 years old. CL

Back