Is H4831sc too fast for 7mm RUM?

Buddy

Beginner
Jun 21, 2006
I've looked for some reloading info on 7mm RUM using H4831sc, 160 gr Accubonds, 175 gr A-frames and 175 gr X bullets but came up empty. I did find a few online but they were for lighter weight bullets, 150 gr and lower. H4831sc is the slowest powder I could find within affordable shipping/hazmat rate that I am willing to pay. Is H4831sc too fast for 7mm RUM heavier bullets?

Buddy":2ry3gg1z said:
I've looked for some reloading info on 7mm RUM using H4831sc, 160 gr Accubonds, 175 gr A-frames and 175 gr X bullets but came up empty. I did find a few online but they were for lighter weight bullets, 150 gr and lower. H4831sc is the slowest powder I could find within affordable shipping/hazmat rate that I am willing to pay. Is H4831sc too fast for 7mm RUM heavier bullets?

Buddy, I would say it is on the fast side for the 7RUM. Maybe not ideal, but I would imagine you could still get useful speed out of H4831. Maybe not full power loads, but you should be able to come into good velocity. I would see if anybody could run you a QL for the H4831 and see where it falls out. I see Hodgdon has data for IMR4831 but very little for H4831 concerning the RUM. Good luck. Scotty

It might be fine for 120's, but is way too slow for bullets in the 160-175gr range.
Like RR I shoot WC860, and WC872 in my STW with these heavy bullets.

Buddy,

You need Retumbo!
160 gr AB.
7mmRUMLoadWorkUp001.jpg

JD338

Ridge_Runner":2qcx3ysp said:
have gotten almost the exact same MV with wc872 and a 160 ab, and its 5 bucks a pound.
RR

Thanks RR!
Good to know.

JD338

CAhunter":s4m0nqlt said:
JD that's a great load. Mind sharing the specs?

This is a warm load, work up.

7mm RUM
160 gr AB
94.0 grs Retumbo
R-P case
Fed GM215M primer

Avg MV 3319 fps
ES 76
SD 31
Accuracy .789" from a M700 LSS

JD338

Santa: Can I get powder for $5.00 a pound. :)
Man, living on the mainland has its bennies
Russ

Ridge_Runner":28z5dn2z said:
http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html
here is some cheaper slower burning powder.
RR

Man, those are unreal prices RR. Hard to go wrong with their prices as well. Might have to look at giving it a try.

Jim, that 7RUM load is pretty unreal. What a thumper of a cartridge. Scotty

RR,

Thanks for posting. It has stimulated me to look for surplus powders that I can pick up in Canada.

No kidding, has me rethinking for the 338 RUM too.

JD338

beretzs":2d1hf3dw said:
JD338":2d1hf3dw said:
No kidding, has me rethinking for the 338 RUM too.

JD338

I hate when that happens. It always comes out to a lighter wallet!

Its only money. :mrgreen:

JD338

Ridge_Runner":4hzbs9a3 said:
have gotten almost the exact same MV with wc872 and a 160 ab, and its 5 bucks a pound.
RR

The sad thing is I bought a ton of WC872 for my .30-.378 IMP. and STW's about 15 years ago for 1.00 or less a pound with no hazmat at that time.

Thanks everyone who replied. I thought it was a bit too fast for the 7mm RUM using heavier bullets, just thought I'd ask just in case someone uses it for those weights.
How about Alliant RL22?
Alliant lists a couple loads online using Rem. 24" bbl and Speer 160 & 175gr SPs. It only lists 1 charge, it doesn't say if it's the starting load or if it's the maximum load. Right now it's the slowest powder I can get until maybe Feb. with reasonable shipping rates.
Shipping from the lower 48 states may be pretty high or the seller may not ship to AK like most gun powder dealers that I've read about. To give you an idea I tried ordering 4 lbs. of powder and a couple bricks of primers from an Anchorage, AK dealer and they wanted $250 for shipping and hazmat fee. It only cost me less than $50 for shipping/hazmat fee from the dealer that I bought the 3lbs H4831sc and 2 bricks of primers. Right now the slowest powder the dealer has is the RL22. Anyone use this powder with the 7mm RUM with heavier bullets?
Thanks again.

The charges listed on the Alliant site are maximum charges. E.g., the maximum charge of RL22 with a Speer 175 grain SP is 85 grains. With a 160 grain Speer SP, the maximum charge of RL22 is 87 grains. ReLoder 22 will certainly work; a slower powder (e.g. RL25, Retumbo, IMR7828) will likely give you better performance. Remember to give yourself a goodly margin of error by dropping back in charge and working up.

Back