Is there an all-around perfect cartridge???

Thats not a very fun question only one rifle :( . Elk is going to be the biggest criter I'll hunt so my 7mm RM is what I would pick but you still need a good rimfire :) .

300 win (or any of the 300's) seems to be the best bet. For me probably the 7mm rem mag.

buckfever":1e08u0dg said:
Thats not a very fun question only one rifle :( . Elk is going to be the biggest criter I'll hunt so my 7mm RM is what I would pick but you still need a good rimfire :) .

Ohh...and I agree. I have about 4 rimfires so I understand. You got me good as I was talking bout big game only!! :grin:

Woody- What 3 animals and distances were they shot from? Thanks! This caliber has my attention.

quickdeath":1450owpu said:
hey guys,,,my voice,,,338 win mag for all north america game species,,,it'll drop anything you aim it at in it's tracks,,,has a 12 gauge 3 inch kick,,,and has velocities almost up to 3,000 fps with a 215 grain bullet depending on the rifle , load,powder,and primer,,,my bet,,,,put a POLL up for the cartridges mentioned,,,hands down,,,338 win mag,,,,thank you,,,joe :shock: :shock: :shock:
.....................................Dear Joe (quickdeath)........No doubt and as you mention, the .338 Win. Mag. will certainly DO ALL of the above. It is a very fine cartridge!! I do like your enthusiasm for the .338 caliber; "hands down" as you say, or in your words a clear winner assuming a poll were taken. My guess is that there is a great chance own a 338?? But a "hands down" winner though???................I think you`ll find this very interesting. Please go to "gunblast.com" and from their home page, click on "archives" and then scroll down until you see a Jeff Quinn article written on the .375 Ruger African dated Feb. 6th 2007. Listed toward the bottom of that article are about 20 chronographed re-loads using bullet weights from 200 gr. to 300gr.............As Jeff states, the .375 Ruger with the right bullet, is just as flat shooting as a 270 Win. and even flatter shooting than the 30-06!!........Even though the 338 bullets have a higher BC, if you were to calculate the realistic 100 to 300 yard (average liklihood for most hunting distances) down range capabilities for both the 338 Win. and the 375 Ruger for velocity, energy, bullet drop etc., I think you will be pleasantly surprised!..............Seems to me that the .375 Ruger will not only do what the 338 Win. can do, but maybe do it a little better??............The 338 Win. a clear "hands down" winner??? That would be an interesting poll AFTER the members review that 2/06/07 Jeff Quinn article and the reload velocities for themselves!.............

YoteSmoker,

Three whitetails this past season in Va. The doe was shot at 30 steps. 7 point buck shot at 120 yards running. The 8 point was about 75 yards in thick cover. The bullet hit a small tree and still hit the deer! But the hit was a gut shot. Had to track that deer unlike the other two that was bang flop. This was going to be my Elk rifle but i like so much the .270 stays in the safe.

For the one gun, its it is the 30-06 hands down. Now 300rum's are not the lest bit nessassry for 100-200-300 yards shots.

And for a two gun do all it would be the 270win and the 35 whelen. Deer out to 400 yards the 270win and for bigger game out to 300 yards or anything up close the whelen.

Because 400 plus yard shots and brown bear are specialized type of hunting not all round and cartridges that it requires are not all round. So lets define all around as 98% of the game taken at 98% of the actual distances that the game was taken. Hate to brust ones bubble but the guy who feels its a must to hunt deer and elk with a 300mag at say 200 yards and less, Doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool around

tjen":3i98w8rg said:
For the one gun, its it is the 30-06 hands down. Now 300rum's are not the lest bit nessassry for 100-200-300 yards shots.

And for a two gun do all it would be the 270win and the 35 whelen. Deer out to 400 yards the 270win and for bigger game out to 300 yards or anything up close the whelen.

Because 400 plus yard shots and brown bear are specialized type of hunting not all round and cartridges that it requires are not all round. So lets define all around as 98% of the game taken at 98% of the actual distances that the game was taken. Hate to brust ones bubble but the guy who feels its a must to hunt deer and elk with a 300mag at say 200 yards and less, Doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool around
...........................................Ya know though!! The .300 mags along with their max. performance capabilities,,,CAN,,,also be loaded down to 30-06 levels & below for hunting where 200 yard or less shots may be the ticket on deer and elk!! Right? Can they not?...........Yes! They are un-necessarily powerful at 200 yards or less, very true. But a 30 cal. mag reloader, such as myself, can very easily adapt by using different powders and adjust accordingly.........So when somebody says that the 30 mags. are un-neccessarily powerful for whatever at X range, they aren`t taking into account the reloading adaptability, versatility or any options that a reloader has............The 30 mags are just `06`s on steroids, but the steroid dosage can be reduced!!!...Great versatility there wouldn`t you say???......The sharper tools in the drawer use our reloading versatility!!!

I like to hear everybodys info,ideas,and stories and try to respect their opinons since they are fellow hunters and shooters. Who cares if you use an 22-250 or an .50 cal to shoot a deer? Who cares if you use a slingshot or a mini-gun to kill a groundhog? As long as you are SAFE and have FUN who cares what you use? Could I have killed those deer with a .270? Of course! I have killed alot of deer with my .270 but there was not alot of bang flops even with well placed shots. The 300 RUM was a new rifle that i could end up using on a dream elk hunt and i wanted to get use to it. Can you kill an elk with .270? YES! Do i want to go on my dream elk hunt with .270? HELL NO! I do not want to be one of those stories i have heard where a well placed shot didn't anchor a prize bull and it got away. Being in bear country hunting elk with a .270 really does not give me a warm fuzzy. The only tool in here seems to be you tjen!

I shot deer with a 338 win mag and used 200 gr bt because I felt like it not because I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and the deer was only at 50 yards what do you think of that tjen :lol:

There " can't " be 1 perfect rifle / round... if there was, we'd all have one gun in our safe and bored as all get out because all our reloading is completed. I can't say I'm a big caliber fan....myself, anything over the 7mag range is BIG. With that said, my 300RUM reaches cannon status in my books, but if your not a reloader, the 300RUM and Remingtons three power level ammo has to rank right up there?????

Antelope_Sniper said
I think the deer died. I also think it had very moderate meat damage, and was verrrrrrry good eating.

1. All deer dead. :shock:
2. less meat damage with 200 AB than 130 BT.
3. All this talk of dull tools and big scary rifles makes me hungry and want to fire up the grill for some backstrap :grin:

m1aggie01":3ux4kwh5 said:
buckfever":3ux4kwh5 said:

Ohh...and I agree. I have about 4 rimfires so I understand. You got me good as I was talking bout big game only!! :grin:

Always a rimfire!! :mrgreen:

Big squeeze
A very good point as to reloading I took the question as for just standard ammo.

woodsy
re read my post I state my diffention as to alround which didn't include big bears or 400 yard shoots. It was the 30-06 I selected. And be fair you picked from my two gun catagory and that would be the whelen for bear country and hands down the whelen over any 300mag for them.

Did anyone see the side by side test barns bullet company did useing the 180gr 308 tripple shock at 30-06 and 300ultra mag velocities? The same bullet at 30-06 velocity out penitrated the same bullet at 3100fps. So think about that when having to face down a big bear the 06 not so bad is it?

Have good great conversing guys. :grin:

I agree with the idea that one gun would be boring. It's funny, but all of my rifles are my favorites. Im gonna throw my 2 cents worth in and go with my 7mm mag. Load it for what you want and go. :wink:
I will also say that I just got a 300Rum. I have not been hunting with it. But, the idea of the Remington power level loads in an interesting one, to me. A 30.06 a 300 Win Mag and a 300 RUM all in one... we shall see.

Tray, you are going to love your 300 RUM. Personally, my "powerlevels" for that round would be 150gr AB and 200gr AB. The 150's are not too bad to shoot, but the 200's let you know they are there!

I didn't attach the smily face so maybe my post seemed harsh in stead of tung in cheek.

I just see some merit with the guy woods hunting with a 300sav where shots only range out to 200 yards and more likely the would be only 40-60 yrads. Same with the guy shooting a 338lapua shooting long range say 300-500 yards or so.

Most of my hunting gets to with in 200 yards of the game and more offend to less then 70yards. So I have drifted to medium calibers at medium velocities for outstanding DRT performance with out excessive damage to my next meal...meals. Its that most posts about cartridges that have MZ over 3100fps read like there the best thing for 0-500 yards and I find they realy only excell at what they were designed for 300plus yards shots.

But may be more important is most hunters who can hunt different game in different places also have because they can afford them lots of guns not just one gun. Most of the one gun hunters I have ment in my travels just use a 270win/30-30/30-06 because for their area one of these will do it all. :wink: So I still stand by my pick for the 30-06 as the best gun for 98% of all N. American Hunting :roll: :)

Antelope,

+1 on the 200grainers out of the .300RUM.... Not sure why, but the H1000 seems to be even worse....

Back