It's Coming! 300gr 338 AB

Hodgdon lists right around 2400 or so with a few different powders and the 300gr SMK. I would imagine that would shoot clean through alot of animal, plus, it would have a pretty decent trajectory as well, for at least 300 yard shooting.. I might have to give them a try.....

Nosler Facebook has some picts of the new 300gr 338 AB post firing/expansion picts. Real cool! :twisted:
Scott

muleman":1vig8yij said:
Nosler Facebook has some picts of the new 300gr 338 AB post firing/expansion picts. Real cool! :twisted:
Scott
Dang! Those are looking awesome! 3 blocks of ballistics gel....now that's some decent penetration! Can't wait to run a few of these down the pipe.

DrMike":17kl7h1z said:
3 blocks of ballistics gel....now that's some decent penetration!

Decent penetration doesn't begin to describe what is going on.

Mike, I was looking over the data available for the 300 grain SMK, thinking I should be able to do something similar with the 300 AB, I just might have to goof around a bit with them. Looking at a ballistic computer they seem to be fairly capable and still retain a pretty useable trajectory, even if they are started at 2450-2500... I imagine they should really penetrate well. Pretty excited to jam some of them into jugs.

Bottom line is that this is a lot of mass with great momentum. That spells penetration.

SJB358":mj35brtp said:
DrMike":mj35brtp said:

Mike, I was looking over the data available for the 300 grain SMK, thinking I should be able to do something similar with the 300 AB, I just might have to goof around a bit with them. Looking at a ballistic computer they seem to be fairly capable and still retain a pretty useable trajectory, even if they are started at 2450-2500... I imagine they should really penetrate well. Pretty excited to jam some of them into jugs.

27" of penetration in the ballistic gel is indeed impressive.
Run the numbers with a .720 BC and you will see the down range performance. The .720 BC is conservative too.

JD338

SJB358":by06j7x9 said:
DrMike":by06j7x9 said:

That's like a 35 Whelen with 250's and it will shoot flatter than that, and maintain more energy!

nvbroncrider":2f8ehj3r said:
That's like a 35 Whelen with 250's and it will shoot flatter than that, and maintain more energy!

Your right there buddy. The 338 starts to really pull ahead with the heavier bullets. I have an excellent load using the 275 Speer at 2650. Pretty high BC (.446) and they hold accuracy really well out to 400. I imagine they would do okay further out, just haven't had a chance to mess with em.

jmad_81":ndky7b32 said:
:twisted: I think I see a big 338 in my future....again!

Same here Jake! I am thinking that Savage might be just the ticket..

The 338 Federal will scratch my itch for a while. Of course, I won't be shooting the 300 grain AB in this cartridge. I likely will focus on the 200 grain AB, the 200 grain E-Tip and the 210 grain Partition.

Back