It's Finally Done !

Gunner46

Handloader
Jan 12, 2015
This started as a dream, way back during Desert Storm. Finally made it come true yesterday. My 338 Fed project is now alive!

It's a Ruger American Wolf, that started as a 308 Win. I sent it of to JES for the re-bore. Talk about turn around? From Ohio to Oregon, and back, job done inside of 3 weeks ! As Jessie wrote in his return note "She looks good".

While it was away, I had a chance to pull down some killer OT at work, so the next step was ordering a Leupold 2x7x33 from Predator Optics.

The barreled action got back and UPS had destroyed both the trigger shoe and the tang safety....I mean Destroyed ! Someone really had to bang that package pretty hard, several times.

Spilt milk, keep the eye on the prize. Here is where a friend on another forum steps up to the plate and knocks it out of the park by hooking me up with Jack Keister Custom, Harrisonburg, VA. A few calls, a check for some earnest money up front, and TA-DA, a complete trigger/safety assembly at my door....when Ruger wouldn't touch it without a complete restore back to original factory condition ( including a mandatory replacement of the barrel).

I've dubbed her "3B". Bulls, Bears, & Boars.

Now, it's range time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Assuredly handsome! The 338 Fed is an excellent cartridge. Although mine has only taken one moose thus far, I have no doubt that it will work well whatever the game. Yours will undoubtedly put a grin on your chin each time you pull the trigger. Congratulations.

That is a fine looking rifle (y) I am sure looking forward to your range report & a few more photos :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Be sure and try some TAC and that 160 TTSX! I use a LEE FCD on mine too. I have a Ruger Hawkeye SS. My SIL used it for mule deer with the 185 TSX factory load. His buddy has a Tikka and used the same ammo on a nice bull elk same year. Good luck to you Pard. Oh yeah, Woodleigh makes a 200gr PP bullet for 338 Federal velocities, should be a real killer! I have yet to try the Speer 200 HC, but I have some ready to go. They claim its a good one, and of course, the Nosler 210 should be awesome. I'd also like to try some Hawk 200gr round nose if I could get them to make some with the thinner jacket. Their present 200RN has a .035 jacket, same as the others used in magnums,338/06,etc. Doc likes the 200 Nosler ETIP

Powder around here is hard to find, unless your looking for the typical '06 class stuff. I did find some 8208 though. Otherwise I'm stuck with the short stock I have on hand, Varget, RL-15, and 4064. Bullet wise I've got the good ol' 200gr Speer HC, 210 PT's and both 180 & 200 AB's.

I'm sure one of those dozens of combo's will at least get me hunting....for this year, at least.

(Not sure why half of the stock came out looking gray & the other half green. It's all green background)

IMR 8208 XBR can produce some fine rounds in the 338 Federal. I can wring slightly more velocity out of the cartridge with some other powders, but the 8208 is still a fine powder for the cartridge. The three that you have on hand will produce some fine rounds, without a doubt.

Dr Mike: Tell me which powders you get better velocities with, please. I have a local shop (well, not That local, but it is on the way to the range) that carries the most powder anywhere in the area. They just may have some I've not considered.

Gunner46,

In addition to IMR 8208 XBR, I've had excellent success with A2495 and A2520 in a variety of bullet weights. W748 is always a sleeper for accuracy, though I do see better velocities with other powders. I'm waiting on a shipment of A2230 right now to do some work with lighter bullet weights. I have a good supply of TAC, but I haven't tested it yet. It was a favourite of John Barsness, and I do respect his work. Undoubtedly, I will be testing this shortly. In summary, at this point, I lean more heavily to A2495 and IMR 8202 XBR with a rather wide range of bullet weights.

...couple other good candidates might be LVR & CFE 223, which seems to be a lot more available around here than most other powders...

Back