Javelina Hunt

jdmason480

Beginner
Jul 23, 2005
Going out on the San Carlos Indian Reservation next month hunting javelina. Taking the Winchester Model 88 .308 with open sights.

Ballistic tip, combined technology or Partition?

I only have 165/168 grains on hand. :(

I was going with the BT's but wanted other opinions. What about shot placement? I thought I would go for a neck shot behind the ear if given the opportunity.

the 165/168gr BT will work just fine. You will have nice rapid expansion at the front, with plenty of lead behind it to push it through. Good Luck!

I thought I would go for a neck shot behind the ear if given the opportunity.

Why? You may want to have him mounted. They are small animals just slightly larger than a coyote and are easy to kill. A shoulder or heart shot will work just fine.

I use my .223 AR-15 with 65 gr. soft points or my 22-250 with 55 gr. soft points.

Good Hunting!!!

Bob

I took these two a few weeks back here in Texas.

javboth-640.jpg

I have had a few of mine mounted. They make a nice rug too!

IMG_0280.jpg

javelinacrop.jpg

Bob,

Those are some excellent mounts that you have pictured. You have given some excellent advice in this instance, as well. Javelina are not hard to kill.

Thanks for the advice and the cool pics. I'm looking forward to the hunt.

I wasn't thinking that they would be hard to kill, but was more thinking of meat destruction since they're so small anyway. I don't know if they're palatable having never eaten one. I figure that there's only one way to find out.

Back