Join the 6.5mm club!

jtoews80":3e12qu3l said:
I've been out of the 6.5mm's for a month, since I traded off my savage 264 on something else. However, after 10 months waiting for a stock and having the barrel sitting on the bench looking oh so lonely, I go pick up my 6.5 RUM today. I think I scerwed up on the twist, but we'll have to see. It's a 1-12" 30" barrel that may not like anything heavier than 120's, but with that much powder it's hard to guess what it will do. If it handles 130 AB's I will be very happy for 3-400 rounds.

JT.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark, as I haven't run the numbers, but 130 gr. AB's might be iffy.
I'm thinking the 125 gr. NP would do ok, and there really wouldn't be enough difference as far the critter knowing, out to around 4-500 yds. Beyond that range, then the boattail designs have some advantage with higher BC.
What velocity would you expect from the 130 gr. AB? I could run it, and see where the GSFI is at with it. Might give you and idea what to expect up to a point.
But then again, i guess it kinda depends what your intended use for it is?,,,as in big game hunting, or more so a Var/Targ rig,.

Dave

jtoews80":19ju4pv7 said:
I've been out of the 6.5mm's for a month, since I traded off my savage 264 on something else. However, after 10 months waiting for a stock and having the barrel sitting on the bench looking oh so lonely, I go pick up my 6.5 RUM today. I think I scerwed up on the twist, but we'll have to see. It's a 1-12" 30" barrel that may not like anything heavier than 120's, but with that much powder it's hard to guess what it will do. If it handles 130 AB's I will be very happy for 3-400 rounds.

JT.

jtoews, what MV ya shootin, and BC of the 130, I run the stability factor and give ya a good idea if they'll fly from the 12 twist
RR

Holy smokes! A 6.5 Ultra Mag, I would shoot 100gr NBT's about 87,000fps and be happy as a lark for all 50 rounds that the barrel lasted.

You must keep us updated

The barrel was a prefit and my local gunsmith that mainly mounts scopes and cleans rifles can't seem to get the barrel on tight enogh to headspace. I had this problem with him before, so I just need to send it to a more seasoned smith, but they're all booked up and we have a postal strike happening too. SO, IT sits. I can still put up some pics, probably later today.

JT.

Talked to the gunsmith building the 6.5 WSM for me. He just got the barrel yesterday and has one more build to get done before he screws it on and does the finish work!!! Brux must really be back-logged on their barrels right now. Looks like I will have it in time to do load work before the summer is over :grin:.

That's great news Joel. Looks like Retumbo is a winner in my 264wm. Speed and pressure wise if seems to be doing well. Still a little finicky for my taste but it should be good when it is done. Scotty

Back