Join the 6.5mm club!

Well, I am officially in the 6.5 mm club with my new addition.
Remington 673 Guide 6.5 mm Rem Mag.
JDPictures017.jpg

JD338

Okay JD, what did you have to trade off or do for the wifey to get that?

Nice rifle it is my friend!!!! But am more interested in how bad you caved into the wifey..... :lol: I am happily married, I know how it works..... Lol..

Not everybody married the Saint of all Gun Owner wives, like Mrs Fotis... :wink:

Rod

JD338":1bo2k2me said:
Well, I am officially in the 6.5 mm club with my new addition.
Remington 673 Guide 6.5 mm Rem Mag.
JD338

Very cool rifle Jim! Scotty

Very nice Jim,,,wish they made that in a a lefthand,,,,or do they. I haven't researched it, but I like it.

Onesonek,

The 675 is no longer made.

Jim,

Welcome to the club (officially).

he lied, how else ya think he got by with it, and stay happily married, been happily married for 20 years, its just how its done!
RR

nodak7mm":1ub022so said:
Okay JD, what did you have to trade off or do for the wifey to get that?

Nice rifle it is my friend!!!! But am more interested in how bad you caved into the wifey..... :lol: I am happily married, I know how it works..... Lol..

Not everybody married the Saint of all Gun Owner wives, like Mrs Fotis... :wink:

Rod

I told my wife 25 yrs ago that owning guns is like golf, ya can't play the game with just one club. :grin:

Of course, she plays the same on me with jewerly, shoes and purses. I guess ya got to have a new pair of shoes to go with the new outfit. :cry:
She has a SAAB Turbo Convertable the she loves but the car payments limit my gun fund. You know the saying, "When mama's happy.....". :lol:

JD338

I have got to find that humor column/article on buying just parts.. Fits the married man to a t....... Lol..

Congrats on the new toy Jim. (Hint, sell my boat or riggers so I can get a new toy)..

Rod

Heres my 264 Win Mag, mint early 80s model XTR w/24" bbl, newly mounted Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 w/BDC reticle, scope-level, Weaver tactical 6 screw picatinny low rings with weaver tactical 20 MOA picatinny base, trigger down to around 2lbs. Shoots 95g vmaxs with H1000 at 3400fps into 1 MOA out to 600. Still tinkering with the 140g AMAX, but I think I"m about to give up on those and start loading the 120g NBTs.

65bz8w.jpg

The left group of 3 is the 95s, and the right 2 shots are 95s, the 3rd missed the paper by 1" looked like the group on the left basically, this was at 625 yards.

vi0bc1.jpg

This was the first outing with H1000 and 140 AMAX at 100 yards. It tricked me...I've never been able to duplicate the accuracy with this load since. I've tried tweaking charge weight, different primer, and OALs that go from .010" in the lands to .100" off and I cant seem to get any consistent 3 shot groupings, always getting a big flyer. The bottom load is the 95g vmax/H1000 combo from above, shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 yards pretty consistently.

154bqqh.jpg

Great shooting buddy. Seems like H1000 is a good one with the 264WM also. I just got a box of Nosler CC 140's to mess with if I have time. So far the 130gr AB and RL22 seem to have something decent going on. I am thinking 3300 with those is pretty easy and MOA or better should happen. Can't wait to stretch it out a little. Scotty

If you see my biography post I spent 3 hours working on in the reloading section on my 264, you'll see what its doing a bit more with those 140s...Not to impressive, LOL!!

I think I'm done with 140g target/match type bullets in this rifle. I just dont think it'll shoot em great/consistently. I've done quite a bit to get the 140 amax to shoot and it wont, so I give up.

I almost bought some 130g VLDs, I had them in my hands, .552 BC at 3200 doesn't sound to bad, but Ive had my experiences with Berger VLDs in 7mm and thought about it, then put them back on the shelf and walked out with some 120g NBTs with a .458 BC instead. If I can get 3300-3350fps with 1/2 MOA consistently out to 300, and 1-1.5 MOA out to 1K, I'll be a happy man once again with the ol 264.

QL, predicts the following with 120g NBT, 24" bbl, with few powders I have on hand. These are MAX loads according to QL as well, so I'll start about 5g lower and work up.

Retumbo- 76.8g 3385fps
RL25- 71.3g 3340fps
H1000- 73.4g 3335fps
RL22- 68.7g 3326fps
H4831sc- 67.9g 3276fps

I used some RL22 for my first bout with the 264 and so far, it seems pretty accurate and relatively fast. I loaded from 64-68gr (RL22) with the 130gr AB, using Nosler cases and CCI250's. I only made it to 67gr's in my rifle. I was getting 3375 out of that load, but the third round gave slightly stiff bolt lift. The next round of shooting is going to be 66.5gr's with the exact same OAL and such. I am thinking I should be in the 3300FPS realm pretty easily and I really think it will go under MOA pretty easily.

I do have some Retumbo, but since I shoot so much RL22, I would like to stick with it. RL25 would probably be just right also. I imagine those 120gr BT's would be pretty awesome at longer ranges. Not sure how they would make out in a close up shot though! Scotty

I've been out of the 6.5mm's for a month, since I traded off my savage 264 on something else. However, after 10 months waiting for a stock and having the barrel sitting on the bench looking oh so lonely, I go pick up my 6.5 RUM today. I think I scerwed up on the twist, but we'll have to see. It's a 1-12" 30" barrel that may not like anything heavier than 120's, but with that much powder it's hard to guess what it will do. If it handles 130 AB's I will be very happy for 3-400 rounds.

JT.

JT- all I can say is WOW! Talk about a firebreathing monster! That should just about set the grass on fire. I can't wait to hear about your range time with that rifle. It will be interesting with such a slow twist. Lots of powder may compensate for alot though? Scotty

jtoews80":eclg5sb9 said:
I've been out of the 6.5mm's for a month, since I traded off my savage 264 on something else. However, after 10 months waiting for a stock and having the barrel sitting on the bench looking oh so lonely, I go pick up my 6.5 RUM today. I think I scerwed up on the twist, but we'll have to see. It's a 1-12" 30" barrel that may not like anything heavier than 120's, but with that much powder it's hard to guess what it will do. If it handles 130 AB's I will be very happy for 3-400 rounds.

JT.
man if ya gotta stick with 120's it'll be a throat burner,I always go faster than I need, it helps terminal performance.
RR

Awesome on the 6.5 RUM, to bad ya got the 12" twist though, that is really bass ackwards with that cartridge ya know :) Be interesting to see what it will do with bullets heavier then 120s. Talk about a lazer though whoa, who needs rangefiner BDC or target knobs??

I am tinkering the idea of sending my 264 off to pacnor and getting a 28" stainless super match chambered in something else so then it should shoot the 140 AMAX, I really want to shoot this bullet haha. Id want something with a 28" tube that will shoot 140s at 3300. Was thinking the standard 264 WM w/28" bbl might get me close, 6.5 WSM, 6.5 Dakota, 6.5 STW, 6.5-300 Win, and lastly the 6.5 RUM, all would get an 8" twist to make sure and stabilize the 140g target bullets.

I had a 31" pacnor 264 with a turn neck and 8.5 polygonal rifling, it seemed to hit pressure at 3100fPS with 140's. I found out later that the poly rifling takes along time to break in, so perhaps that was why it hit pressure all the time. Even loads I used in my old M70 264 showed a lot of pressure. Anyway, that is why I went with the slower twist. I have a 8 twist 6.5mm HV 30" blank I can fix the problem with, but we'll try this first. I should know if the caliber is worth the fuss after this at least. The barrel is a prefit too and wasn't fitted for a blueprinted action, so I ended up using a stock 300 rum sendero instead of my intended donor.

That 6.5 RUM will shoot as flat as road kill. I hope the 1:12 twist will work out.

JD338

Back