Just picked up a medium / long range rifle.

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
It is the Savage 12 VLP DBM in 300WSM.
I'll probably put a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 on it unless I change my mind before I buy the scope.

I sold my Sendero 300 RUM to a friends son (17 yrs old). He has been wanting one so bad for 2 years and he has worked all summer to buy something. He has a couple of friends who have "long range" rigs and been having fun shooting paper. Well I sold him everything (gun, scope and 80+ reloads and supplies) and practiced with it down to his last 20 rounds.

Short story: Lasered 2 bulls at 498yds. One shot right through lungs and shoulder. 5 pt bull down after 60 yds of stumbling.

So now I'm here with out a longer range weapon. I'm going to try this Savage for what I'm going to do. Less then 1000yds and most in the 600 - 700 range for fun. You know the new AB LRs look interesting for this, maybe the 190gn 30 cal.

My grandson did that same thing. He worked all summer picking rasberries until he could buy my .280 Rem A-Bolt for $450. This included dies, 100 cases, (5) boxs of ammo and 60 handloaded cartridges. It also included a Bushnell 3000 Elite scope, mount and rings. He has killed one deer (a spike) and several large hogs in Texas with it.

The 300 WSM will surprise you with its ability.

I know guys with 7mm wsm that kill well over 1000 yards....

The 300WSM should qualify for the medium/long range rifle you are seeking. It is a great all-around rifle for North America.

Yes, I agree with the guys that you are going to more than happy with your choice. The 300 WSM is a great cartridge.
Does that Savage have a 26" tube?
I am looking forward to your work-up on the new rifle.

Blessings,
Dan

Teknys

Good stuff. Congratulations to the young man on his elk.
The 300 WSM should serve you well for your needs.

JD338

Just wait until the LRA's come out. I am truly hoping they will change the overall game.

That 190 or 210 ALR should be really be something in the 300WSM, if you have the space to seat them out a little. I am looking forward to working with my 300WSM when they come out. Matter of fact, I have held off scoping the rifle till I have some bullets, to keep the temptation down.

I've seen very good results from the 210 Berger VLD at 2800+ fps from my .300 WSM. Very accurate!

Guy

I bought the scope today:

You wouldn't believe how many sites / places I've been or called to find a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 2nd focal plane (cheaper one). I can get the FFP but for $200 more. I finally found one at CameraLand in NY of all places. I phoned and they had one left still "shrink wrapped" and he repeated the Vortex part number to me. It's on a Fedex truck already. I was beginning to think I would have to wait or get something different than what I wanted. I would have waited or paid the extra $$ for the FFP. I'm glad I didn't have to.

Doug at Cameraland is a good guy to deal with.

The FFP is very popular these days, for some decent reasons, but I don't have any problem at all with a 2nd focal plane scope for hunting. Not at all. I think you'll be happy with it.

Regards, Guy

I have both FFP and SFP scopes and do not have any issue with them either way. That .300 Mag Model 12 should be a hammer!

Teknys":27dzsc9u said:
I bought the scope today:

You wouldn't believe how many sites / places I've been or called to find a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 2nd focal plane (cheaper one). I can get the FFP but for $200 more. I finally found one at CameraLand in NY of all places. I phoned and they had one left still "shrink wrapped" and he repeated the Vortex part number to me. It's on a Fedex truck already. I was beginning to think I would have to wait or get something different than what I wanted. I would have waited or paid the extra $$ for the FFP. I'm glad I didn't have to.

That's where I bought both of my PSTs, and the regular Viper 6.5-20x... and probably where I'll buy a Viper HS LR when I get around to it...

Back