Kimber 8400?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Just put my paws on a couple of these Kimber 8400 rifles an hour or so ago. Have to say that I was fairly impressed, but I'd like some input from somebody who's not trying to sell me one. Anyone here with knowledge/experience about these Kimber rifles?

I looked over two .300 WSM's; one was blued with a very nice walnut stock. I noticed that the forearm is already contacting the barrel on one side though.

The other was the "Montana" version with the extremely lightweight synthetic stock. The thing barely weighs 6 pounds, even in .300 WSM...

Trigger pull was crisp. Very crisp. Controlled round feed. Three position safety. Very nicely finished rifles. Handling seemed very good. Although light, there is a substantial recoil pad, and the stock appears well designed. I imagine it would be more of a hunting rifle than a range rifle, based on the horsepower to weight ratio...

Anybody here shooting one or have info about their performance? Seems like it might be a decent rifle to haul into the high country on a backpack hunt. Although I loved the looks of the wood stocked rifle, I found myself more seriously considering the synthetic/stainless rifle - for weather resistance if nothing else.

Regards, Guy

I have been shooting a Kimber 8400 Montana in 270 WSM for a couple of years. Its one of my favorite rifles and must have about 800 shots through it now.

Mine is one of the first ones and has the abrubt feed ramp but it still feeds ok.

The stock could have a little more grip to the finish as with 140s and a full case it jumps a little in my hands.

I shot it again today looking for a load for the 110 VMax in order to cut a coyote in half. It was pretty cold and the stock could be a little shorter for me.

You know they weigh a lot less than the old Featherweights and with that soft pad don't kick bad at all.

Truth is however that I could shoot a 84M Montana just as well or better and have a lot less noise, weight or kick. Thing is that I just like magnums.

I remember fondling one at our local gunshop. I believed it was their stainless varmint model with laminated stock chambered for 308. Very good balance but ugly looking. But then again I don't like stainless finish rifle anyway. I love the original Kimber though. I have one chambered for 223 Remington. The petite action with it's CRF Mauser like bolt is just plain gorgeous. The fit and finish is unbelievable for a factory rifle. You guys can see it for your self.

IMGP2356.jpg

IMGP2121.jpg

I don't have one myself but definatly plan to have one in the future. I have read some reviews that put them up against euro rifles in the safe price range. As expected the kimber lost but the loss by margin was extremely small. I think gun critics are probably just unable to say something American is better than a German or Austrian made rifle. If you can get it for less than a grand it is definatly worth in my opinion.

Guy I love my 8400 Classic in .300 WSM. The rifle balences extremely well and the VX-III 2.5-8 power seems just perfect on it. So far every thing I have shot out of it shoots well. Some loads even better than others. Knowing what you already have in your safe, you might consider the Montana for those high mountain, nasty weather hunts.

Back