Ladder tree Stands

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I haven't been a user of tree stands because heights and I don't get along well. The potential fall doesn't bother me but the sudden stop at the end..........well, not much fun there. :(

I've experimented with those of friends but just wasn't pleased. I've been considering trying one of my own since doing some research and seeing that the body harnesses offer an enhanced degree of protection. In the past my friends did't use such things so I did't either.

I have looked at some in stores and online and especially like the looks of two made by Big Game Stands and Ameristep that are of the "wrap around" style that allow shooting behind the tree. Most stands are designed to face one way and require the hunter to lean out and around to shoot behind the tree.

Does anyone have any pointers or do's/dont's to suggest?

Thanks, Ron

rjm158":za1fcull said:
I haven't been a user of tree stands because heights and I don't get along well. The potential fall doesn't bother me but the sudden stop at the end..........well, not much fun there. :(

I've experimented with those of friends but just wasn't pleased. I've been considering trying one of my own since doing some research and seeing that the body harnesses offer an enhanced degree of protection. In the past my friends did't use such things so I did't either.

I have looked at some in stores and online and especially like the looks of two made by Big Game Stands and Ameristep that are of the "wrap around" style that allow shooting behind the tree. Most stands are designed to face one way and require the hunter to lean out and around to shoot behind the tree.

Does anyone have any pointers or do's/dont's to suggest?

Thanks, Ron

I use and really like a lot of ladder stands. I'm not really picky on brand/model, etc.

Biggest thing with a ladder stand is getting it relatively level and very secure to the tree. From there, you're golden.

Also, Summit (and I'm sure some others) make a line with a prussic knot for your safety harness that's very long....30' maybe? The premise is that you put it around the tree and it hangs clear to the ground. You hook up before leaving the dirt, and you're attached the whole way up.

Also, placement of the brace on the ladder is fairly important. Too high, you'll have a bouncy, bowed ladder below the brace. Too low, same problem above the brace. Trees are never considerate enough to make installing a brace as easy as the directions you'll get make it sound. Just go with the concept of the brace providing support between the stand and the ladder and make that happen and you're golden.

I never ever use the crappy straps that come with the stands, UNLESS they supply ratchet straps. If not, I go to Lowe's or Walmart and get a pack of decent straps and use them. Trust me on that one.

4 things you really need to setup a ladder stand, in my opinion:

-shovel (I like a small entrenching tool that will let you set the blade at 90-deg to make a pick of sorts)
-pruning saw
- 2 long ropes (25' or so will do), and you want them to be relatively strong and snag-free.
-2 ratchet straps in good condition, I like 10-footers to know I'll be able to use them in any situation, but shorter will work if they reach.

Here's how I do it:

-Tie a loop in one end of each of the ropes. Now use that to attach one rope to each side of the platform on either side of where it will contact the tree (loop the rope through the loop you tied and make sure it's around the frame of the stand, then pull it tight).

-Assemble/layout the stand near the base of the tree. Sometimes you need to find a better spot in the brush/branches to bring up the stand so it will not snag on branches as much, then move it once on the tree to the orientation you prefer.

-Stand with one foot on the bottom most rung, stand laying on the ground pointed away from the tree, with maybe 3-4 feet between the end of the ladder and the tree. Take both ropes in your hands and pull the stand up. Stand firmly on the bottom rung till the bottom feet of the ladder grab the dirt.

-If there aren't branches/brush in the way, take each rope round the back of the tree and back to the front. They should cross in the back. Tie each off to the ladder. The rope that attaches to the left side of the platform should tie to the right side of the ladder, and vice versa for the other rope. Tie them TIGHT. This is what keeps the ladder from coming off the tree when you go up it the first time. I did more than a few ladder stands by praying for it not to fall when i went up the first time...this way is MUCH better.

-Attach the brace. If you can reach it, tie some light rope around the brace and the tree to keep it from slipping. I also use a ratchet strap here. Around the tree and to both sides of the ladder to pull the brace in tight. Make sure you adjust the brace to the proper length or the ladder will bow in/out.

-Now go up the ladder and put a ratchet strap on the platform. Be careful not to do so that you can't get the ropes off when done.

You may be thinking "where do the shovel and saw come into play?"

Shovel- when the stand is on a hill side or otherwise just won't sit level, you dig out some dirt under the ladder to level it.

Saw- pruning is obvious, but also to cut a branch that's big enough to be a brace if you need one where the supplied brace doesn't fit. You'd be surprised how many times I've done this.

Before doing the ratchet straps, walk back a few steps from the front and then from the sides and check the platform to see if it's level in both directions. This may mean it is not perpendicular to the tree trunk. If you have it off a bit, you'll feel it when you go up and stand on it, trust me.

This all sounds mighty complicated, but once you've done it a couple times, it's easy. I can do one all by myself in much less than an hour.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. That helps a LOT!

Ron

rjm158":223ibaj6 said:
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. That helps a LOT!

Ron

Sure thing!

They are really quite simple to put up...once you've done it a time or three.

Basic premise--

Get it level, get it braced, get it strapped tight. From there, you're home free.

I have had very limited experience with ladder stands and for good reason. On an archery deer elk hunt in Utah a number of years ago I ended up in the emergency room in Moab with what sure appeared to be a broken ankle. If you do get a ladder stand make sure it has some kind of pins to hold the sections together. Mine didn't and it followed murphy's law to the nth degree.

Bruce Mc":30ayqwf5 said:
I have had very limited experience with ladder stands and for good reason. On an archery deer elk hunt in Utah a number of years ago I ended up in the emergency room in Moab with what sure appeared to be a broken ankle. If you do get a ladder stand make sure it has some kind of pins to hold the sections together. Mine didn't and it followed murphy's law to the nth degree.

I hunt with a few older ones still that don't pin together......but I don't think you can buy them without pins in the sections.

I also plan to start replacing the pins that come with them with bolts and nylock nuts, too. Doesn't prevent theft, but makes it tougher, for sure.

Back