Ladies and Gentlemen, I need help

mtwarych

Beginner
Sep 2, 2013
I usually keep my reloading supplies stocked well enough that I have everything I need to keep my family in ammunition for a year. I am not a hoarder and I do not own an ammunition fort.

My problem is I ran out of W231 for the 5 45ACPs we have in the family.

Would the forum please suggest a gunpowder that is fairly clean and can be used for full power loads for target and self defense please. My family shoots 230grn jacketed slugs only.

I appreciate all help.
Thank you
John Warych
Semper Fi

I use W231 for my 45 ACP needs as it gives good speed, accuracy and is fairly clean.
Take a look at WST.

JD338

Very good, thank you.
I will start a list and then go around the valley to see what I can find.

...don't ignore the "shotgun" powders, Longshot (one of the better loads), Titegroup, or Clays (for a reduced load), RamShot ZIP, Silhoulette, or True Blue all very clean burning. AA 5&7 or Alliant Power Pistol are possibilities, but I haven't used them in the .45 ACP...

I WISH I had some 231 for my .45!

Am low on most pistol powders except for this mountain of really old, really dirty Unique. That I've got in copious amounts. It's ugly but I'm making it work for everything: .38, .357, .44, .45 etc... Do have to give the guns a good cleaning afterwards as I think it's primarily charcoal...

Ramshot Silhouette. Seems like Ramshot powders are in-stock more than the Hogdon stable of powders especially for the guys out West.
Last year I couldn't find pistol primers for a long time and this year their on sale but pistol powder supply is now thin.

I use solo1000 in mine . I've also used bullseye . Guy I have some of the old dirty unique . I've read that the newer stuff is not as dirty as the old . the unique I have is in the old round cardboard can .

I have added all powder suggestion and I will go shopping this weekend to see if I can find any pistol type powder.
While talking to a powder supplier last Saturday he told me it may be as long as two years before any of us will be able to find 231.

Good luck on the hunt for powder.
JW
Semper Fi

Thank you for the help.
Tomorrow I will be going to all the powder dealers in the Bitterroot valley.
JW

I found 2 pounds of universal clays, loaded a handful of 230gn ball and shot them this morning.
Max load with a good crimp shoots well and is pretty darn clean.
Thank you all for the help, time to work the press.

If that does not work, TiteGroup is essentially the same powder with a Hodgdon label as W231. TiteGroup will load the same loads for your .45 ACP and W231.

Longshot. I have switched all my loads for 9mm ,40s&w, and 45acp. 40 s&w cab near 10mm speeds with it if you are careful working up. 45acp can do some amazing things with long shot.

Thank you everybody.
It seems to me that there are a lot of good people on this site.
It is a pleasant surprise for me.

Back