Lapua tarnished brass

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I just opened a Lapua blue box of .308 brass that I had on the shelf for a while, even the foam covering was in place and it was sealed, the brass are heavily discolorated with bluish / greyish hints on more than half of the case body / head. Some pieces are fine, but 80% of them are tarnished. I found 101 pieces instead of 100 pieces in the box with one wooden splinter longer / wider than a matchstick inside one of the cases.
For the amount of money, I would like that batch returned to Lapua and have them ship me a shipping label for its return in place of a new box of brass. Has anyone had any great customer service with Lapua?

Never mind, the situation is taken care of.

I was able to email the main headquarters and send them the issue with pictures and after I submitted, there was a notice to contact a distributor in your country, so I did that, then called the number. Explained the situation and they said they will notify me by this afternoon. Just 15 mins ago, the man called and said they will give me a full replacement plus I can keep the brass as well. Talk about great customer service and he was very helpful. They mentioned that the reason was its a old batch.

Very good!
Maybe you can get the others back to shooting condition.
Wet tumbling with citric acid might do the trick.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Just tarnish will not hurt the cases. If they have a built up green canker on them that is another story. The tarnish on the neck down to just below the shoulder is normal for Lapua. That is from the annealing process and they do not polish their cases after that process. I would just put those cases in a tumbler either dry with polishing compound (I use corn cob media with some "New Finish" car polish or you can use Flitz metal polish) or wet like mention above or just go to the auto parts place and get some "Never Dull" made by Eagle One and use to clean each case.

1Shot":1by90pd4 said:
Just tarnish will not hurt the cases. If they have a built up green canker on them that is another story. The tarnish on the neck down to just below the shoulder is normal for Lapua. That is from the annealing process and they do not polish their cases after that process. I would just put those cases in a tumbler either dry with polishing compound (I use corn cob media with some "New Finish" car polish or you can use Flitz metal polish) or wet like mention above or just go to the auto parts place and get some "Never Dull" made by Eagle One and use to clean each case.

I understand, I have a tumbler as well, but the insides of those necks were real rough and on the outsides of the tarnished cases, imagine a different bullet release between affected brass and those which aren't affected. I did not want to waste my time and bullets with these IMO, just lucky to have a new lot sent my way so I won't have to worry about anything. (y)

I know what annealing results looks like, this is way different. I anneal myself after each firing. :grin:
Thanks for the heads up.

Never, ever use tarnished brass. In fact, don't keep it near your non-tarnished brass, especially Lapua. You are in a dangerous situation and you should immediately send all your Lapua brass to me to alleviate your risk!

rodell":kqua46ro said:
Never, ever use tarnished brass. In fact, don't keep it near your non-tarnished brass, especially Lapua. You are in a dangerous situation and you should immediately send all your Lapua brass to me to alleviate your risk!

:lol:

My experience with my only Lapua purchase, after a single firing I noticed what I would describe as lamination on 3 cases. Contacted representative and sent pics, he requested I return all 200 pcs for replacement. Which involved demilling and soaking unfired primers. The payoff? 200 pcs of new brass, when I mentioned my cost, time and shipping he "generously " threw in ball cap! So as far as Lapua quality and customer service, call me unimpressed.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Mark,

Glad you were able to get the issue resolved favorably.

JD338

Hmm, I had the same issue with 7mm08 brass from Lapua. The guy I talked to said that they wouldn't replace them and that they were fine to use. He did recommend that I tumble them first, though!

Back