First time annealing Lapua brass

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Played with my new Benchsource this morning in my man cave seriously for the first time. Annealed Lapua .308 brass that was fired 5 times, polished and cleaned first then put Tempilaq 650 degree paint on inside of necks on three pieces plus a swipe of 400 degree halfway down the body. Set the timer for 3 seconds and seemed that dwell was a little short, so redid on three more pieces and set timer for 3 1/2 seconds and looks like it did perfect.

One more piece to confirm. 650 degree paint cleared up in 3 1/2 seconds and indexed right after during the video.
https://youtu.be/4lcfZhWwGGA
Annealed the rest of the small batch with same dwell time.
https://youtu.be/eJ6HPG1VwJY
First 3 pieces on left after annealing with burned off paint inside necks. The right two cases laying down was a fun test and checking 400 degree Tempilaq burn along length of case to determine how much heat traveled down the case with 3 1/2 second dwell.
fBKJH6j.jpg

Final result
xQz1bff.jpg

Does the color on brass, dwell time and flame adjustment look like its correct? Please correct me if I am doing anything wrong.

Looks like you have nailed the process.. It will
Be interesting to see how this affects case life and
performance. It all should be good.

looks great . brass is annealed before it has the burned look . I can see faint discolor slightly down past the shoulder . your 400* tempilaq shows very little heat travel . I'd say you're about perfect .

Most of the articles and stories on the internet says to use 750 degree Tempilaq but Benchsource recommended 650 degrees on the inside of the necks and index once you burn that color off. Some annealers do not use Tempilaq but look for glow and back off or index once they see glow. Some indexes when the flame above the case neck turns orange, etc. Everyone has a preference. It's critical that we get the correct temperature on the case necks, better to under anneal than to over anneal.

What is the temp of Tempilaq do some of you guys use?

750 in the neck . I don't use it any more . I kinda got the feel for it now . I set up and run through a few junk cases and see what I have .

TackDriver284":39288r0o said:
Some indexes when the flame above the case neck turns orange, etc.
This is definitely an incorrect method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back