Late November Cow - Accubonds Once Again

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
It's been a day or two since I've posted anything on here - have been lurking here and there thinking I really need to pull a rifle out of the safe and go shoot. Majority of my time is now spent at the archery shop with the family and throwing a couple hundred sticks a week.

Long and short, My Dad had anohter late season cow tag & I really wasn't sure what I had in the safe ready to go. I took last Wednesday off just to go make sure things were still sighted in.
The .300RUM, .257Bee, & .260 found their way to the truck and I was off. All three shot 3/4 in or slightly better, so for not pulling the trigger on one for quite sometime I was satisfied.

Friday morning Dad had his opportunity and turned a 130gr AccuBond loose to make the 350yd journey. As I'm watching through my 10X42 swaro's - nothing, she slowly turns and takes a couple of steps in to the cover. WHAT !? An elk just walked away from the .260 with a good rest........As I continued to watch, I did catch one more glimpse of her which appeared as if there was a slight limp going on.

We decided go give it a bit of time before I tredged through the foot of snow to where I had last seen her. As I'm walking up the hill, I'm fully expecting to find her not much furhter than where I had last seen her walk into the cover. Nope - second surprise of the day, she's no where to be found, short of her trail through the snow and a slight trace of blood here and there.

About an hour later we were able to cut her track again across the top of the mountian going off into another canyon. As we sat there glassing the oak brush covered hill-side, she appeared directly across from us on the fence line with a continued slight limp.

Now the issue - Wow that's a long way over there - my range finder is only good to 600 and the bottom of the canyon isn't registering. Atop the .300RUM sits a Zeiss 6.5x20 w/ varmint reticle - the 600yd hash is on at about 640 with continued marks going down. Long story short and four more marks down he was able to walk the 3rd shot into her which anchored her on the spot.

The AccuBond continues to amaze me "when put where needed" - the freezer will be full, as I'm confident this cow will go within the top five of the book :lol:
Nosler in general ROCKS ! I miss being on here frequently....View attachment LDRNOV25.JPG

Congratulations to your Dad. Did you work out what happened with the .260? Bad hit? Poor performance? Consequently, slinging sticks can be fun, especially when you are sharing with your family. Good to hear from you, Mark.

It was one of those quick trips for me - my Dad was going back down to the packing plant once she's skinned out to see what took place. Yes, poor placement in the uppler leg / lower shoulder.
It didn't get out the other side into the chest, and didn't appear to have broken the shoulder. Justed needed to be up 10 inches higher.

Dead is dead and a freezer full of great eatin' to boot :grin: .

Good shootin' fellows.

Mark,

Nice big cow for sure, congratulations to Team Powerstroke!

JD338

Mark, first off, we missed ya buddy! Hope your back around a little more.

Second, that is a tank of a cow! Wow what an animal! Glad you were able to put it down and I'm sure a big freezer full of elk doesn't hurt anything! Congrats to you and your dad! Scotty

Congrats on a fine hunt and story book finish to boot. She's a huge cow for sure and will fill the freezer. Just for grins, do you think the 300 RUM with that same hit would have made a big difference?
Thanks
Greg

Thanks Fellers -

Greg - Have had that discussion a lot the last couple of days. Although I've never been a big caliber fan, I could all but guarantee the game would have been over much quicker if the first shot would have come from the .300........

Good job, there will be some fine table fare there :grin:
Thank you for the report and photos:)

Blessings,
Dan

Corey -
I use 180's out of mine. I know the 200's are the preferred out of this round, however have never been able to get them to shoot.

Back