Latest safari

russ808

Handloader
Feb 2, 2008
Been off the forum for a while. Finally retired for good and back. Went to S.A. with Andri Fox Safaris. Bought a Buffalo/sable/mountain zebra hunt. Well it didn't end with those 3. When I got there, a huge Gembok walks by and bang. Gemsbok along with a red lechwe, black impala, klipspringer, blue duiker gets added. Started in Kimberly and ended in the Cape. Went to 8 different ranches over 13 days. Had some great food and drank way too much. When you shoot your animal, you get 2 shots and everyone else in the party get one.

Attachments

• IMG-20220415-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220415-WA0005.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 17
Sounds like a great hunt. Can you share your rifles and loads along with details of the animals taken.

JD338

Looks like you had an awesome adventure!
We were in the Eastern Cape a few of weeks ago (see 2024 Hunting thread) for 8 days. We hunted 7 different concessions on our trip for 7 animals, taking two on one property (bushbuck and kudu), and two on another (impala and nyala). Definitely a target rich environment!

I am hoping to go to Zambia on the next trip, for all 3 lechwe subspecies and sitatunga. The kafue lechwe is a very handsome animal!

Looks like you had an awesome adventure!
We were in the Eastern Cape a few of weeks ago (see 2024 Hunting thread) for 8 days. We hunted 7 different concessions on our trip for 7 animals, taking two on one property (bushbuck and kudu), and two on another (impala and nyala). Definitely a target rich environment!

I am hoping to go to Zambia on the next trip, for all 3 lechwe subspecies and sitatunga. The kafue lechwe is a very handsome animal!
The cape is beautiful country. That's were we ended up as our last concession. The PH's home and land is there. That's were I shot the black impala. It's was an interesting time. We had the plague and they ate every inch of grass. We just missed the rain storms that flooded many areas that we were in prior. Very interesting.

Looks like a great hunt. The Sable are a true ly magnificent trophy. I may have to go shoot one some day. I looked at several on my hunt but I was starting to feel i had had enough fun.

JD, I decided to use the PH's rifles. He had 300wsm, 308, 375 ouch and ouch. He reloads his own and didn't share the recipies. But then, I didn't ask. Was having way too much fun. I decided not to bring my rifles as I had a issue last time I went.
Congratulations on an awesome Safari! I believe if I ever go, that's what I will do too, use the Guide's rifles. Less hassle and no chance for my favorite rifles to be lost or otherwise abused by the airlines.

Congratulations on an awesome Safari! I believe if I ever go, that's what I will do too, use the Guide's rifles. Less hassle and no chance for my favorite rifles to be lost or otherwise abused by the airlines.
I saw them put my rifle on the plane, and I was the only hunter on that plane. I get to Joberg, they can't find my rifle. Bribe paid and they find it just behind the door. Humm.

Congrats on a great hunt!

I appreciate the photos you posted for us.

Using the guide's rifles and ammo certainly reduces the problems in traveling with guns and ammo. A good call I'd say.

Guy

I saw them put my rifle on the plane, and I was the only hunter on that plane. I get to Joberg, they can't find my rifle. Bribe paid and they find it just behind the door. Humm.
Glad you were aware of the situation.
I flew to WY to hunt Antelope with Fotis back in 2012. As I sat on the plane, I watched my pelican hard rifle case get tossed several feet up the baggage loader. I wish I would have been video recording that.

JD338

Back