lead bullet ban on the way ?

This would be a real crock if it does get through. Not good. That said I don't see it affecting me in real ways, but I could be wrong. Federal grounds, not state or private. New sales of ammo, etc.

If they were to somehow strong hand the issue and make it a federal ban on all ground, then yes. I don't see that happening, but if the dem's somehow gain more control then they have now, I don't put anything past them. Banning lead in bullets would be the least of our concerns, as is evident more and more every day.

Well, my luck with monometal bullets has been good once and total failure so far twice. The good was the 225 gr. TSX in my .35 Whelen. The bad is the 100 and 120 gr. .257" bullets suck in my ,257 Robt. and the 120 and 140 gr. .284 suck in three 7x57s and a .280 Rem. Barely get patterns in all four rifles. Guess I'd best to try to find some .30 caliber monos for the .308 and 06.
Paul B.

I've got a few boxes of Barnes TSX & TTSX bullets on hand. In general they've treated me fairly well. One buck I shot though.. Never really was sure if the bullet expanded, but he died quickly anyway. Also had a bad copper fouling problem with them when my 25-06 was new. I'd tried the 100 gr TSX at 3340 fps from my 25-06, which had a pretty rough bore when it was new. Other experiences with Barnes bullets have been favorable re accuracy, expansion, penetration, and not much fouling either.

Nosler E-Tips - I've got some in .25 & .30 calibers but haven't shot many. The E-Tip is a gilding metal bullet, same as bullet jacket material. Harder than pure copper.

Have some 248 grain Hammer bullets for my 375 H&H as well. Haven't tried them yet. They sure look interesting.

Hornady CX - I've been doing some loading & testing with them for Ultimate Reloader. They did well enough that I've loaded the 150 grain CX bullets for my 7mm Rem Mag to hunt with this year. I like the idea of booting those hard/tough bullets fast and they hit 3200 fps from my rifle. They're a tough copper-zinc alloy. I've also worked up a decent 30-06 load with the 165 grain CX, at about 2800 fps.

Link to the 7mm, 150 grain Hornady CX bullet test. Yes, impact speeds were high at 2800 fps and 3200 fps. Bullet did NOT fly apart, that's for sure. Good expansion and good penetration. Link takes you to both the written article and the video. We haven't tested them at longer ranges or slower velocities yet. Hornady states that they need 2,000 fps to reliably expand, so choose your cartridge, bullet weight and maximum hunting range accordingly:

2022-04-27 12.52.54.jpg

This would be a real crock if it does get through. Not good. That said I don't see it affecting me in real ways, but I could be wrong. Federal grounds, not state or private. New sales of ammo, etc.

If they were to somehow strong hand the issue and make it a federal ban on all ground, then yes. I don't see that happening, but if the dem's somehow gain more control then they have now, I don't put anything past them. Banning lead in bullets would be the least of our concerns, as is evident more and more every day.
Unfortunately yes, there are a lot of issues potentially bigger than lead bullets. But with the potential that we are seeing the end of fair elections, the only thing that will keep us citizens and not subjects of our phony monarchs are our ability to use guns. I think we are approaching times when drastic measures may be needed, but we may lack the numbers to act on the need for freedom unfortunately.

I feel like I'm getting in too deep, but all I can say is that I am glad that I trust my God. Even if I despise those who believe they are the rulers of my country, they will be accountable to God one day, and that is far scarier than anything they can do to me while I'm here.

Guy:

My issue with the GMX is I can NEVER get them to shoot in anything!!!! I do not know how different the CX is.

Well, this is a real aggravation for me. Do I shoot up all my lead core bullets, so I don't get stuck with them, wasting my precious powder and primers? Or wait and see what happens just shooting as I have been doing? My minimal use of lead-free bullets hasn't done much to impress me, but I admit my use of them is very limited. I will use them if it comes down to it but I'm not going to like it. If I had enough hair left, I should sell all my guns and buy a Harley:D Dan.

Guy:

My issue with the GMX is I can NEVER get them to shoot in anything!!!! I do not know how different the CX is.
I think they're pretty much an evolution of the GMX. Not sure they'd do any different for you. Besides, you're shooting those Barnes bullets into itty-bitty groups anyway! :)

Guy

I am a food chemist by profession and since some predators of bird of prey have different physiology, they might suffer if you leave the innards with 10-50 % of the lead in them for them to feed on.
Like it or not.
Same with water fowl if they pick it up while feedind.

I use lead free for about ten years now.
With our distances it works fine.
Your 600+? Probably not.

I am far from green, but I have seen some results.
And - as mentioned - aI shoot lead free
The issues w/ birds of pray are undoubtedly true. However, I would also pose the following question for consideration. From my strictly subjective observations over the last 40 years, there are certainly more birds of prey. Yes, sometimes a piece of lead gets left in a gut pile, but lets not assume that every gut pile out there contains a slug or part of one. We know this isnt the case. We regularly talk about pass throughs. Not every piece of lead becomes a snack for some one. Additionally american waterfowl hunters have been saddled with the burden of non toxic shot since the late 70's. Minnesota is just getting around to SUGGESTING, not mandationg mind you, that its time for fishermen to go lead free. If you an I are forced go lead free then IMHO there are other forces at work here. BTW Fotis is right, there are much more important things to worry about. Noslerpartition, thank you for sharing your insight and knowlege. Not trying to be argumentative at all. I have used Federal Copper Solid slugs for Deer in Mn because they are the most accurate slugs from my shotgun. CL

Well, this is a real aggravation for me. Do I shoot up all my lead core bullets, so I don't get stuck with them, wasting my precious powder and primers? Or wait and see what happens just shooting as I have been doing? My minimal use of lead-free bullets hasn't done much to impress me, but I admit my use of them is very limited. I will use them if it comes down to it but I'm not going to like it. If I had enough hair left, I should sell all my guns and buy a Harley:D Dan.

I'm not worried about it one way or the other Dan, put it that way. I can only lay down and get back up so many times.

I don't see it coming nationwide anytime soon, but in todays world, an edict of such a nature would have to get in a real long line in the order of importance of things that would bother or concern me. Just the way it is. When I've used up what is mine, I'll acquire what is available then.

It's been done. There have been tungsten core dangerous game bullets. Seems to me that Speer may have made them at one time.

Guy
The problem with Tungsten-cores is: it is very hard. Actually tanks use Tungsten ammo to penetrate Armor. So it would be fmj, not d forming. Which is good for the purpose Guy mentioned, but for normal hunting less than ideal. Maybe with a frangible mix with plastics.

I think at least one bullet maker is using compressed tungsten powder as core, but I doubt solid tungsten core would be legal for civilian use.

I'm not worried about it one way or the other Dan, put it that way. I can only lay down and get back up so many times.

I don't see it coming nationwide anytime soon, but in todays world, an edict of such a nature would have to get in a real long line in the order of importance of things that would bother or concern me. Just the way it is. When I've used up what is mine, I'll acquire what is available then.
I agree Jeff. Not going to let it cause me to lose sleep or pull-out what hair I have left. My bad at trying to be funny about buying a Harley;) Dan.

I agree Jeff. Not going to let it cause me to lose sleep or pull-out what hair I have left. My bad at trying to be funny about buying a Harley;) Dan.

Ha. Maybe you should get a Harley. There's days that would be a good idea to me. I was just commenting on the bullet part, guess to me it's like the mask mandate. I wont comply. When I'm out then I'd have to look at what's available.

There would be plenty of states with plenty of Governor's that would stand up hard against such a mandate that was simply issued by a bureaucrat agency I would think. Now passing congress and getting signed by a president would be a different matter.

Well, I guess it's time to start buying up a few more boxes of my favorite bullets to add to my stash.

The only non-leaded bullets Ive tried were the TTSX. While they killed what I shot at, and I guess that's the end result, however, I do not like "non-leaded" bullets tho.

Ha. Maybe you should get a Harley. There's days that would be a good idea to me. I was just commenting on the bullet part, guess to me it's like the mask mandate. I wont comply. When I'm out then I'd have to look at what's available.

There would be plenty of states with plenty of Governor's that would stand up hard against such a mandate that was simply issued by a bureaucrat agency I would think. Now passing congress and getting signed by a president would be a different matter.
The way things are going, that Harley is going to have to be electric. No po-ta-to po-tat-to sound anymore. Just the winding of an electric motor

I haven't been able to keep up with this but the last thing I read until today said the lead ban was to for the WMAs while the rest of the federal lands would be left open. (Yeah, until they aren't.)
While the only non-lead bullet that has worked for me is the Barnes 225 gr. .358 TSX, none of the smaller calibers have shot worth poop in any of my rifles.
Paul B.

Back