Least expensive rifle cartridge to handload

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I was thinking about this today. I was wondering about the 17 Hornet since it burns so little powder (8-12 gr on average) but I'm thinking 223 Remington might be actually cheaper even though it burns about 22-29 gr of powder on average for 50-55 gr bullets. The brass for 223's can be had pretty cheaply and on average .224 bullets are less expensive than .17's.

What do you guys and gals think?

While we are on the subject what would the handgun round be that gives the best bang for the buck?

9mm for handgun, probably followed by 38 Spl. For rifle, it's hard to beat the 223. Brass is easily found for cheap and 1k bullets for under $100. Sadly you could get bulk for $60 per 1k not long ago.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A buddy was looking at buying a 17 HMR once and made a comment about how it'd be better than a .22 for gophers and such. I asked him "why not use your .223 and have a really versatile predator gun too". He said it was cheaper to shoot the 17 HMR.

I started doing the math and buying the 50 grain BT seconds I could load 50 for the .223 cheaper than he could buy a box of 17 HMR. Taking into account I didn't have to buy the brass, which I didn't. I'm sure there are other 22 cal bullets that may be had even cheaper, so I'd almost have to think the .223 would be the cheapest.

Just did some quick math and looked at some components that we can get here fairly easily and it was no contest.

17 Hornet - $1.42 per round. With brass already it would be $0.92

223 Rem - $0.61 per round. With brass it would be $0.31

We can buy once fired brass for 30 cents each and bulk Canadian made Campro bullets for 12cents each for the 223. I thought the 17 Hornet would be more competitive but as of now it isn't even close.

I'd think 9mm and 223 also.
For brass, unless it's for precision, just go to a range after the AR city guys have been there and you can get more brass than you'll probably use.
I monkeyed around with taking different headstamped brass and loading 5 of each w the same load (not a near max load) and at 100 and 200 yds the accuracy difference from my bolt 223 was minimal.

Dwh7271":16akkj67 said:
I'd think 9mm and 223 also.
For brass, unless it's for precision, just go to a range after the AR city guys have been there and you can get more brass than you'll probably use.
I monkeyed around with taking different headstamped brass and loading 5 of each w the same load (not a near max load) and at 100 and 200 yds the accuracy difference from my bolt 223 was minimal.

What Dewey said.

JD338

I think my cheapest load is in .223 Rem with Blue Dot powder. It is my calling load for night hunting load. It about like a .22 Hornet or .22 RF Mag. It is a little over 10gr. Of Blue Dot. and a 40gr Nosler BT.

223Rem by a mile and down here at least, the 308Win isn't all that far behind. I can get once fired 308 brass almost free and there's always specials going on .308 calibre projectiles.

Gotta love NATO!

MINE would be the .223 cartridge.

I also load the .204 which consumes small amounts of gunpowder and tiny bullets, but it is more expensive to load than the .223 for sure!

Guy

Back