Least favorite step or task in reloading

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
Reloading is a very rewarding, gratifying activity, hobby what have you...

But I'm sure everyone has a step they don't enjotly

For me...
I utterly despise or loathe removing military crimps

Hate it. HATE IT.🤬🤬🤬

Even though it's one and done it still sucks

Adds so much time as usually when I'm doing that I've a ton of military stuff I'm working with.

Trimming..........not necessarily the act of trimming itself, but the whole process of trimming and properly preparing the case for bullet seating after trimming.

Part of it I'm sure is that I'm too cheap to buy a good trimming station and end up doing some hand work. I use a lathe trimmer to start, but I will say I've learned some tricks along the way to both reduce time and to greatly increase the amount of consistent and accurate ammo I can produce.

NYDAN, everybody has their methods........I use Hornady case lube on a lube pad.......learned early on less is more and better. An honest estimate is that I've sized around 5 thousand cases with that small 2 oz bottle and still have half of it left. I wipe off cases with a piece of folded over paper towel and rubbing alcohol. There's not much on the case and it doesn't take long.

Cleaning the necks of the cases and cleaning lubricant off the cases after resizing.
I'll take back my statement on my last post, cleaning necks and brass after resizing is the least thing I like to do, and trimming brass as my 2nd. It was past midnight and it affected my judgement. 🤣

I'll take back my statement on my last post, cleaning necks and brass after resizing is the least thing I like to do, and trimming brass as my 2nd. It was past midnight and it affected my judgement. 🤣

I made my own powder funnel early on that fits down inside the case neck, not over. I don't bother cleaning the inside of the necks after sizing as there is no powder sticking to, or touching any oil residue inside the neck when I dump it in the case.........guess I never thought about that step as I've been doing it the same way for years.

Brass prep in general for me. I used to despise annealing, until I got my induction annealer. I guess trimming and primer pocket cleaning take the cake now

Trimming ..............hate it. Although my Frankford Arsenal case prep makes it easier and idiot proof.

I made my own powder funnel early on that fits down inside the case neck, not over. I don't bother cleaning the inside of the necks after sizing as there is no powder sticking to, or touching any oil residue inside the neck when I dump it in the case.........guess I never thought about that step as I've been doing it the same way for years.
On the RCBS prep station, I just run one stroke with a copper brush or a nylon brush through the case necks after cleaning primer pockets and de burring. A little carbon inside the necks is your friend and no need to scrub them out. It beats doing them individually which increases the boredom.

Reloading is a very rewarding, gratifying activity, hobby what have you...

But I'm sure everyone has a step they don't enjotly

For me...
I utterly despise or loathe removing military crimps

Hate it. HATE IT.🤬🤬🤬

Even though it's one and done it still sucks

Adds so much time as usually when I'm doing that I've a ton of military stuff I'm working with.
Get one of these and chuck it up in a drill. Easiest way I found to remove the crimp.

The one thing in my process that I don’t enjoy is finding water capacity of brass. Every time I start a new lot of brass I measure the H2O and record it.

Tumbling brass for sure. Takes forever fishing every piece out, dumping the media out and picking it out of the flash hole. I know there are ways to speed this up possibly but eh.....
I rarely have to mess with case lube because I almost exclusively use Lee collet neck dies. Very fast and I also pretty much don't have to trim either because it limits case stretching.

you guys complaining about case prep , consider a case prep machine . I keep a primer pocket brush , VLD inside neck chamfer tool , outside neck deburr tool , bronze cleaning brush , primer pocket uniforming tool set up in mine . it really takes the work out of brass prep .

PA190221.JPG

you guys complaining about case prep , consider a case prep machine . I keep a primer pocket brush , VLD inside neck chamfer tool , outside neck deburr tool , bronze cleaning brush , primer pocket uniforming tool set up in mine . it really takes the work out of brass prep .

View attachment 18487
You mean like this?
16710879724872687032346821326090.jpg

Still sucks removing the military crimp. Chamfer tool, actual military crimp removal tool on the prep machine as you see it.

That said apparently RCBS has a new military crimp removal attachment ...I just noticed this tonight.
RC_90386_MilitaryCrimpRemover_small_single_C.jpg

This new style is certainly different than the one I have on the prep center 16710881718433080006143409850306.jpg

The prep center itself is a dream for cleaning pockets and duburring post trimming.

I never ever brush the necks. I feel brushing is needless as I've found any carbon is my friend.

We all do weird stuff with our brass so we can feel all gitty about it and honestly how much really matters🤷‍♂️

I know people that don't clean the pockets after each shooting...nope...like they never clean them. Never tumble, wipe, any of that. Shoot, re-size, load, shoot,
Trim? Only if needed.
Rinse and repeat and some of those guys shoot pretty ridiculously good to where nobody could argue that their non prepping way hurts performance.

Back to point...
Even with the prep center I hate removing crimps. Chamfer tool, the crimp removal tool...no matter. Just a step I despise!!!

Seating bullets! Hands down my least favorite part. I make dummy rounds (no primer or powder) of all bullets per cartridge per gun. L to R: 264wm (25 different bullets), 270win (9), 300wm (17) and 45-70 (4). I still have a few more to go in 264wm.20221215_025011.jpg

I' d have to say most of the case prep work. I know that with the exception of trimming most only has to be done once but still.
Having said that you would think I would steer clear of wildcat cartridges but NO not me.

Back