Lee safety powder scale??

MaineGuide35

Beginner
Mar 19, 2011
I purchased the Lee 50th anniversary kit. I'm happy with the product, but how accurate is this scale? Is there any way to calibrate or check calibration without buying weights. I heard you can check your scale with coins? Is this true? I reload for the convenience and for fun it, so investing $100-200 bucks on a digital scale seems over kill for me. The scale is the Lee safety scale, and I'm sure they wouldn't add it to the kit if it was faulty. Just want to make sure the powder load weighed is close. Thanks, MG35

The only way to tell is to level it properly and hope it was made well. A set of check weights can be purchased for 20-30 bucks and is money well spent for the piece of mind. I have an RCBS 10-10 and still check it periodically. Scotty

beretzs":323pbciv said:
The only way to tell is to level it properly and hope it was made well. A set of check weights can be purchased for 20-30 bucks and is money well spent for the piece of mind. I have an RCBS 10-10 and still check it periodically. Scotty
Thanks Scotty, I was just wondering if there was anything around the house to check it.

Not that I know of. I could check a quarter or nickel for you and report back after I check my scale out, if that would help? I imagine all nickels should be the same? Don't know, not a coin collector. Scotty

beretzs":3dm4yhxr said:
Not that I know of. I could check a quarter or nickel for you and report back after I check my scale out, if that would help? I imagine all nickels should be the same? Don't know, not a coin collector. Scotty
Ya that sounds good, It could just give me something to go by. Thanks Scotty
P.S. A nickle weighs what a nickle weighs, right?

Here is what I just weighed with my scale. I zeroed it with the 50gr Lyman check weight before I started.

Quarter - 88.3
Nickel - 77.3
Penny - 38.6
Dime - 35.3

That should help you to see if you are in the ballpark. Chances are if you are within 1/10-2/10's of a grain you should be good to go. Scotty

MaineGuide35":30u8x16c said:
beretzs":30u8x16c said:
As far as I know. I will go and check right now. Scotty
Mabey an average of like three diferant nickles, what do you think?

I didn't think of that and could only find one measly nickel. I will redo it that way if you like. Scotty

beretzs":1lwboewm said:
MaineGuide35":1lwboewm said:
beretzs":1lwboewm said:
As far as I know. I will go and check right now. Scotty
Mabey an average of like three diferant nickles, what do you think?

I didn't think of that and could only find one measly nickel. I will redo it that way if you like. Scotty
No thats ok, I got 77.4, 76.7, 77.5 on the nickles. I'm good to go thanks for the help. MG35

Antelope_Sniper":3kiqdtjc said:
I just put a 150gr NBT on the scale. If it's not within 1/2 a grain, I know the scale is off.
I thought about that, but the lee scale only goes up to 110grs. and I don't have anything that lite on hand.

Back