Left Behind Items.....

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
Well the clock is about to strike. No matter how much planning and how far out you start getting things ready, something always seems to get left behind. What is it ??

I'm headed to the Mountains Thursday evening to go hunt BigHorns #1, Bear and Deer as well, but obviously the BigHorns are first on the list.

I've been planning for months, started getting everything out and ready to go, but there is always that feeling of "what the heck did I forget " ?

Bow, Arrows, Release & Tags are all in the same pile so I'm covered.
Safety items NEVER leave my pack & I've checked that they are there.
Knives, Flashlight etc "check" Gear / Clothing for ANY weather "check"
Sleeping Bag, Tent, Food, Water "check"

What am I forgetting? What is the most common item left behind? short of our wives and kids ? :grin:

Bino's and rangefinder, a flask to hold your favorite whiskey to toast the ram after you skewer him :)

No Checklist??? oooohhhhh.. :shock:

Overlooked items: First Aid stuff.... & nail clipper, chapstick, moleskin, scentfree bengay, vet tape or ace bandage.. Exam gloves for field dressing and such.. (BBP awareness......)

Safety Plan: Telling someone where your at, for how long, when to expect you out???

Lots more could be added as your question is kinda general..

Rod

Make use of the off-season and make a list....keep adding to it. Usually your notepad in your cell phone is a good place to keep it. Always access to it and you can add to it anytime.

Pillow usually, camera, knife one time (had to use a sharp rock, NEVER AGAIN), and left my pack on a ridge once for a quick little hunt...ten hours later I crawled back to it, last time I'll ever do that. Carry that thing with me everywhere no matter how quick I think it will be.

socks, hunters safety cert., mountain money (toilet paper)

Frankly,
I put my pack together the same way every year. All of the items mentioned make are there. Every year, I add a hunting license (you would be surprised how many people that i guide forget theirs), , extra money, matches...
this could be a very long list, but basically, it does not change from year to year.
Hardpan

I usually packed everything I need a few weeks before the hunt but somehow something get left-out no matter how meticulous you are. That's just the nature of things. I have a buddy that hiked five miles before he realized he left his rifle in the camp. :eek:

Thanks Guys !

All packed and ready to get out of town tomorrow after work. I'll post when I get back what was forgotten :lol:

Yes there is a check list, several actually. Depends on if were able to come back and camp next to the trucks every night, archery hunting or rifle hunting and of course how long we'll be out.
Safety items are always in the pack and never leave. I actually have three packs and all three have the "safety pouch"
Biggest issue on this one will be the extended periods at altitude and I'd like to keep it to bare minimums. This is the first year for the Eberlestock pack and it starts out extremely heavy.

Hope to have some great pics and stories.. , none the less it will be a great time no mater the results.

Thanks again

I wish you all the success, and trust you haven't forgotten anything this time! :lol:

I always seem to work up a great load and then procrastinate enough to be loading the night before season at midnight, LOL. Sooner or later that is going to bite me hard as I don't have normal rifles that can use walmart shells if needed.

257 wby
264 win
280 rem
7 stw
375 ICL Kodiak

OK I do have a 7mm Rem, but I just got it and it hasn't got optics yet and the budget is closed for the year unless I can find a "stimulus" to the fund :lol: :wink:

JT.

Spreadsheets are a wonderful thing. The tabs on my hunting list are:

Food
General Camping-Hunting
Personal Items-Clothing
Day Pack-Survival Kit
Holster-Fanny Pack
Car

Rope. Try shooting an Elk on the side of a canyon wall (my hunting buddy) and getting it up in one piece without a rope.

This years hunt was a little different as we hunted farmland. The morning we got my Elk we were a little late leaving the cabin and I forgot me hunting boots :roll: I shot the biggest bull of my life in a pair of of flip flops.

hardpan":1xk7odps said:
socks, hunters safety cert., mountain money (toilet paper)

Frankly,
I put my pack together the same way every year. All of the items mentioned make are there. Every year, I add a hunting license (you would be surprised how many people that i guide forget theirs), , extra money, matches...
this could be a very long list, but basically, it does not change from year to year.
Hardpan

Hardpan,

Since you used to guide hunters, would you be willing to put together a list of must have items for a pack. We could post it as a "sticky" for all of us novice to veteran hunters to review as "The Hunters Check List".

Thanks for your help.

JD338

JD....

That is a great idea !

I actually didn't end up leaving anything behind.... I usually have the opposite case when it comes right down to it and need a FreighLiner to get everything to the hills.

I will confess that on one of the evening hunts that we were going to a different area, I left my quiver full of arrows back at camp. :oops:
It did lead to some great pics however as that's when I saw the sheep next to the road......

Back