leica rfb binoculars

usmc 89

Handloader
Jun 10, 2011
am looking to buy a set of leica rangefinding binoculars here in the near future was wondering if anyone has owned them and if there was anything you didnt like about them. i had a pair of duovids in the past and liked them just sick of carrying a rangefinder and bino while coyote hunting. main reason i want these is so i dont have to take my eye off them from the spotting with the binos to the ranging process. i guess my concern is do the leicas range reliably and quickly?

I carried a 10X42 Geovid this past season. It has become my primary glass in the field. I've ranged moose as far as 900 yards and tree lines to 1500 yards. It has replaced my Zeiss binos as my field glasses. I've tested them for distance throughout the season last year, and they were exceptionally accurate. They picked up and ranged moose and deer and elk to over 600 yards at first light and at last light. I wouldn't be without them.

great thats what i was looking to hear, was intersted in the swarovskis also but if i can shave off 500 bucks i am game. i know my duovids were on par with the slc in the glass department and that is good enough for this guy. thanks dr. mike appreciate the input that is what i will get.

I have no doubt the Swarovskis are excellent, as are the newer Zeiss, but these are excellent glass and state-of-the-art electronics.

I have a friend who use one. It's reliable up to 1500 yards. I have heard good things about the new Bushnell also at half the price.

The Zeiss Victory RF 10x42's are flat out awesome. I know have another piece of hunting gear to save up for!

i did look at the zeiss and they are awesome but i didnt find them 600 dollars better than the leicas. would love to get my hands on a set of the swaros before i totally commited also.

usmc 89":2ek68im7 said:
i did look at the zeiss and they are awesome but i didnt find them 600 dollars better than the leicas. would love to get my hands on a set of the swaros before i totally commited also.

Trust me, I didn't plunk my own money down on the Zeiss's I use. If I was/am going to buy my own, the Leica's are a huge frontrunner in the purchase..

my buddy talked to the swaro rep at the archery center yesterday and he said that the new rangefinding binos are the el glass and not the swarovision. apparently they did this to keep the weight down. not saying the el are slouches in anyway, there fantastic. i did however take a pair of zeiss and leicas out today to compare the two. the glass on both were excellent, i am leaning more towards the zeiss now for a few reasons 1 i found the ranging button was on the right side of the bino which i like the leicas and the swaros are on the left. 2 i found the zeiss steadier for it ranged the target upon release of the button and not having to hold the button down eliminates the canting of the bino. 3 i was able to get readings from the zeiss on sparse targets such as bare trees where the leica didnt want to do it. this is what i want to see when coyote hunting instant readings in sparse cover. as far as the ballistic calculator on the zeiss that is useless to me it gives its readings in inches which means you will be doing math anyway to convert to moa or mils at distance. the swaros do have an angle display which i like but i do have a nightforce cosign indicators on my nightforce scopes anyway. i think i am going to try the zeiss this year i will keep you posted.

Good points on the button location; that is a point that can be bothersome. I haven't had a problem ranging on a tree with my Leicas. There is no question, however, that the Zeiss are very well designed.

usmc89, I am thinking about selling my Leica 10x42 Geovids. I saw the new Swarovski ones at the SCI show and immediately fell in lust for them. Mine are in Great condition with no scratches or marks or anything on the exterior or lenses. They work fantasically well, i've measured animals as far away as 1200+ in the field and rocks at more than 1300 yards. If you might be interested i could send you some pictures. i think i would want around $1450 for them including insured shipping. just let me know. you can email me @tomh@h2sigma.com. Thanks, tom

shphtr59":116vy2ot said:
usmc89, I am thinking about selling my Leica 10x42 Geovids. I saw the new Swarovski ones at the SCI show and immediately fell in lust for them. Mine are in Great condition with no scratches or marks or anything on the exterior or lenses. They work fantasically well, i've measured animals as far away as 1200+ in the field and rocks at more than 1300 yards. If you might be interested i could send you some pictures. i think i would want around $1450 for them including insured shipping. just let me know. you can email me @tomh@h2sigma.com. Thanks, tom
am interested sent you a private message

As an aside, in part because of questions concerning light transmission during darker periods, using my Geovid, I watched deer and moose grazing out to 550 yards this past fall a full hour before sunrise. I could range them at that distance before sunup. The more I use the Geovids, the more impressed I am with them. They are excellent glass.

thanks for the info dr mike i am heading in that direction talked to shphtr59 today.

If you get them, you will like them. They are well built and comfortable to use. The only feature I haven't enjoyed about them is that the controls are for the left hand.

DrMike":3haxwxj3 said:
If you get them, you will like them. They are well built and comfortable to use. The only feature I haven't enjoyed about them is that the controls are for the left hand.
I got a great deal on a pair of geovids, thanks for the info dr mike looking forward to using them.

Finally something left handed friendly now you know how us south paws have felt for years :mrgreen:
You know I am kidding I believe they might be my next have to have :lol:

Blessings,
Dan

usmc 89":28cyfs0o said:
DrMike":28cyfs0o said:
I got a great deal on a pair of geovids, thanks for the info dr mike looking forward to using them.

I'd say that the price range offered by shphtr59 for a used pair of Geovids was a really great deal. I remember looking at the pricing for a new 10x42 and at just over $2,400 I had to pass - too rich for my blood for now considering I've got $3k going in a new rifle & scope shortly, and I pay for these new toys cash as much as a I can (as my significant other as the sole Veto vote of the household it seems!!), i sure wish I could have picked them up!

Great buy Usmc89

Back