Let's talk about the Whelen....

f00eb9e0ebf4837516373c092db7935d.jpg

I had this whelen built for my dad on a Winchester 70 with 1-12 twist barrel. It has a refinished XTR stock. Leupold 2-7 euro 30mm scope. Hard to go wrong with something like that.

Nitride the metal and epoxy finish and fully bed the barrel channel. That will give you the classic look and still be very weather resistant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":19c0d7ex said:

I had this whelen built for my dad on a Winchester 70 with 1-12 twist barrel. It has a refinished XTR stock. Leupold 2-7 euro 30mm scope. Hard to go wrong with something like that.

Nitride the metal and epoxy finish and fully bed the barrel channel. That will give you the classic look and still be very weather resistant

That's a beauty.

Hodgeman if I wanted a new 35 Whelen I would just buy a Nosler Patriot since they have everything you want. A fast twist to stabilize 250gr bullets and up plus a synthetic stock or spend more money and get wood with a different model. I don't think you could go wrong with the Nosler.

truck driver":1mmlphw3 said:
Hodgeman if I wanted a new 35 Whelen I would just buy a Nosler Patriot since they have everything you want. A fast twist to stabilize 250gr bullets and up plus a synthetic stock or spend more money and get wood with a different model. I don't think you could go wrong with the Nosler.

I've been nothing but well pleased with my current Nosler in .300WSM...picking up a Nosler is certainly on the short list of options. I'd probably opt for the "Outfitter" and get the open sights.

hodgeman":1atp960h said:
truck driver":1atp960h said:

I've been nothing but well pleased with my current Nosler in .300WSM...picking up a Nosler is certainly on the short list of options. I'd probably opt for the "Outfitter" and get the open sights.
The M700 Classic does come with open sights installed if that is another option for you. If I were to hunt Brown or Griz where the shots would be close under 100yds I would opt for a fixed low power scope where I could shoot with both eyes open with a 4 min red dot.
I have a 1.5-5 VXIII on my 30-06 for this reason since most of my hunting was in thick areas and would jump deer out of thickets like you would jump rabbits. The scope set on 1.5 made for fast sight acquisition and usually a dead deer. I also used this same set up for crop damage work.
A 1.5-6X42mm with a fire dot reticule is my idea of the perfect hunting scope.

That rifle I built my dad with its 2-7 luepold 30mm euro has the German #4 reticle. It's really the best of all worlds for that rifle.

2x is low enough to use both eyes open and the heavier post sections of the reticle are quick to pick up and guide the eye to the center of the crosshairs. 7x is plenty for any reasonable 35 whelen range and the thing portion of the crosshairs are fine enough for longer range work. It's really tailor made for this type of rifle.

8a549783a94c065f08ad635f5be62c8f.jpg

I've got a 1.5x5 on my Whelen right now. Seems to work fine. Even the old M8 4X's were plenty fast for me on quick shooting.

TBear, your Dads Whelen looks perfect. Great set up.

Thebear_78":2vxzmjcz said:

Got to say that is a very nice looking gun.

Hodgeman, mine is a LH 700, Benchmark 1 in 12 twist, M8 6x36 Leupold in Burris Zee rings and Mcmillan Edge stock. Weighs 7 lbs 4 oz and shoots great, I might of opted for a 1 in 10 twist just because had it been available at the time but the 1 in 12 stabilises any bullet available that I am aware of.

JES bored out a Tikka T-3 for me. With a B&C stock it is a great package. Light and shoots like a Tikka. It really likes 225 gr accubonds.

It was a post like this that started me on my 35 Whelen quest. I then spoke with a certain Doctor about the virtues of the Whelen, I then called a shop he has been known to frequent and made the order.
My custom is a RMR in the lefty model, it started with a Defiance action, then put it together with a 24"- 1-14" twist PacNor SS match barrel it has a Timney trigger and a H-S clip system all Aluminum bedded into a McMillan hunter stock (y).
It shoots like a dream.
PS. I also was fortunate enough to pry a Zeiss Darvari 3-9X36mm from the good Doctor to place on top of it.

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 732
That Whelen does work well for you, Dan. However, someone has to pull the trigger. Don't ignore the rifleman. Fine target.

sask boy":3j0hioba said:
It was a post like this that started me on my 35 Whelen quest. I then spoke with a certain Doctor about the virtues of the Whelen, I then called a shop he has been known to frequent and made the order.
My custom is a RMR in the lefty model, it started with a Defiance action, then put it together with a 24"- 1-14" twist PacNor SS match barrel it has a Timney trigger and a H-S clip system all Aluminum bedded into a McMillan hunter stock (y).
It shoots like a dream.
PS. I also was fortunate enough to pry a Zeiss Darvari 3-9X36mm from the good Doctor to place on top of it.

Blessings,
Dan
Yep reading post like this is contagious and will cause you to spend money but it is well spent and worth every nickle.
Good shooting Dan.

Scotty's right again once you own the Whelen you will ditch the .338......... just more weight and recoil and not worth it for 100 fps..... owned a .338 for almost 30 years, wonderful rifle, saved my life numerous times on bears, but the Whelen does the same thing in alot "handier" gun.

Back