Leupold 2-7.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Been looking at and for one of these to put on my Rem 760. This probably belongs in the optic forum, but I thought I'd get more feedback here. I passed on this scope............something looked off about it. Like it was re-painted. I don't remember them being quite this shiny, and the paint has a somewhat wrinkled or thick look to it at the bell end. Also the typical gold ring on the front bell looks white.

If it is A+ original I probably should've bought it as that is a decent price for one of these in this kind of shape. I got time yet and decided I better pass. What do you think? Look at picture number 3.

I think I have learned that old scopes are...old scopes.

David Petzal noted a few years ago that he's swapped out all of the scopes on his rifles since the year 2000, some of them twice.
When I compare the few older optics I have with newer ones, the newer ones win every time.
They really have progressed.

Suspect.... I think the "wear" on the locking ring looks out of place.... And like I was saying, If the guy actually sold it for the "buy now price" somebody paid almost new price for a used scope. $300 - nope, like my old scopes but theres better stuff out there for that price, they are just ugly. CL

Suspect.... I think the "wear" on the locking ring looks out of place.... And like I was saying, If the guy actually sold it for the "buy now price" somebody paid almost new price for a used scope. $300 - nope, like my old scopes but theres better stuff out there for that price, they are just ugly. CL

It sold for $195 plus $20 shipping. About what they bring, but that one appeared to maybe have been doctored to me, but maybe not. I'd buy a new one but far as I know they only make them in matte, not gloss. Would like to have a 2-7 gloss scope to fit the era of that rifle.

The only way to know for sure is to verify the s/n with Leupold.
There have been a bunch of knock offs labelled as Leupold's making the rounds the past few years, so buyer beware!

BTW Shade Tree - I finally got around to shooting a nice old 30-06 760 that belongs to a friend of mine. What a great rifle!

I can see why some folks are so loyal to them.

Regards, Guy

Not to knock on old scopes , my dad still uses a Redfield from the early ‘70s. Ever year he has me check the zero on it for him. The best way to describe it is to look through the dirtiest cloudy fish bowl you can find. He says he’s too old for a new scope , but somehow he gets a deer once in awhile.

Last edited:
Not to knock on old scopes , my dad still uses a Redfield from the early ‘70s. Ever year he has me check the zero on it for him. The best way to describe it is to look through the dirtiest cloudy fish bowl you can find. He says he’s too old for a new scope , but somehow he gets a deer once in awhile.
Old habits from older gents are hard to break. My Dad is 86, I deal with it every day in one form or another, so I feel your pain. :ROFLMAO:

Dad, why don't you send those running boards back if they don't fit? My Dad....."no I'll just make my own brackets. Next time I go out I asked him if he got his running boards on....Yep! He says all proud. I look and he has 3 pieces on each side welded from the running boards to the frame on his Durango. A mish- mashed mixture. Some of the pieces are angle iron, some tube steel, some round steel. Some rusted, some shiny. Whatever he could find out back of his shed and cut to length. I laughed walking home until the tears ran. He's a card and set in his ways of doing things and he's too old to change now.

To update on this, I ended up buying a VX Freedom 2-7. Brand new at a local shop it was $210. Cheapest I see them online is $299. I wanted an older gloss scope, but the good shaped ones were going for too much money, and the $200 ones were often scuffed up pretty good. I got a new set of Warne rings coming for it also to replace the cheap rings that were on it. Next week if the weather cools down I'm gonna try out my new set up.

BTW Shade Tree - I finally got around to shooting a nice old 30-06 760 that belongs to a friend of mine. What a great rifle!

I can see why some folks are so loyal to them.

Regards, Guy

Yep. Remington got it right with them on the first try. Fast handling, fast shooting if needed, and able to handle a variety of high pressure cartridges. Plenty accurate enough, with some being very accurate.

Took Browning about another 40 yrs when they came out with their aluminum receiver BLR's to I guess figure out that design does indeed work. Lock that bolt up deep into the barrel instead of in the receiver, and the receiver at that point just becomes a box that's only necessary to hold parts.

I haven't had a new BLR apart to compare, but the 760 is much like a 700 in safety theory. Deep recess in the bolt face to encompass the rear of the case. Nose of the bolt is surrounded by the barrel extension. Got the chamber, the bolt, and the steel of the barrel surrounding the front of the bolt all protecting that case. A 760 is a strong and safe action design........especially for a pump.

Read long ago of an Army rifle team(1960's) had some 760s built for them to compete with. Inter service, I guess. Don't think it would have been Camp Perry, lol. 760 in 30-06 was my first deer rifle. Hard to beat. Dan.

If you told me you were going to take either one of the K-4's off my Dads rifles I'd say you were nuts. If you tried to do it, I'd break your arms. They look a little better than a "fish bowl" but not by much. Some things just work. Dont mess with 'em! ;) CL

To update on this, I ended up buying a VX Freedom 2-7. Brand new at a local shop it was $210. Cheapest I see them online is $299. I wanted an older gloss scope, but the good shaped ones were going for too much money, and the $200 ones were often scuffed up pretty good. I got a new set of Warne rings coming for it also to replace the cheap rings that were on it. Next week if the weather cools down I'm gonna try out my new set up.
Well, There's always "rattle can lacquer" :). Its just a matter of hiding those big ugly caps/ turrets. Seriously though, that should be a great scope for the 760. I see where "Vintage rifle scopes" of Montana now has the option of installing "new glass " in older scopes. They go for even more of a premium price. You did well. I would buy one for that price. Let us know how it works out. CL

Yep. Remington got it right with them on the first try. Fast handling, fast shooting if needed, and able to handle a variety of high pressure cartridges. Plenty accurate enough, with some being very accurate.

Took Browning about another 40 yrs when they came out with their aluminum receiver BLR's to I guess figure out that design does indeed work. Lock that bolt up deep into the barrel instead of in the receiver, and the receiver at that point just becomes a box that's only necessary to hold parts.

I haven't had a new BLR apart to compare, but the 760 is much like a 700 in safety theory. Deep recess in the bolt face to encompass the rear of the case. Nose of the bolt is surrounded by the barrel extension. Got the chamber, the bolt, and the steel of the barrel surrounding the front of the bolt all protecting that case. A 760 is a strong and safe action design........especially for a pump.
Remington used to market the 700 action as having three rings of steel to encompass the case.
The 760 does the same.

JD338

Back