Leupold and the 378 Bee Part Duex~

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Well Jeff (Leupold CS Manager) called me today and he told me that the 378 Bee destroyed the Mark 4 4.5x14x40 in 15 shots! :shock:
Erector was shot and a few other issues! It will survive a 50 BMG but not a sporter weight 378. WOW~

Of course they will make it right but everyone at leupold is scratching their heads!

Good thing the Zeiss is holding up. I have almost all Leupolds but you have to go with what works. I cant wait to check out my first Zeiss when it gets here next week. I'll test the target turrets extensively I'm sure.

Wow, that is really interesting. I would have thought Leupold Mark 4 would have survived that test.

JD338

Wow, that makes me nervous about my 378. I've got a VX3 on it now... I guess I'm gonna have to save my pennies for a Zeiss.

JD338":bwbjpjar said:
Wow, that is really interesting. I would have thought Leupold Mark 4 would have survived that test.

JD338

They said the VX-6 is way tougher these days.

As far as the zeiss goes.... so far so good but we will see....

FOTIS":38hwt21x said:
JD338":38hwt21x said:

JD338

They said the VX-6 is way tougher these days.

As far as the zeiss goes.... so far so good but we will see....

Fotis,

I think you are ahead of the curve with the Zeiss!

JD338

I still find it interesting that my VX-3 has survived shooting 260 & 300ABs out of my non-braked 375RUM and Fotis' braked 378 destroyed several leupys.

The brake makes the difference. That reverse impulse generated by the brake (like a spring action air gun) destroys the innards.

I have a brake on my .375RUM with a Leupold 4.5x14 and I haven't noticed a problem but I also don't shoot it much either.

FOTIS":1jh5xr72 said:
The brake makes the difference. That reverse impulse generated by the brake (like a spring action air gun) destroys the innards.

Well, that must be why I haven't had problems. Mine has no brake. Thanks for that tidbit Pop!

--md

What kinda mount are you using on the 378 FOTIS ?
I have a Mark 4 6.5-20x50 LR/T on my 338-378 and it has been rock steady but i am using Warne steel bases with Warne steel tactical mounts on it! I was talking to Leupold about the erector system and they mentioned that at near full travel they had had some issues with quality? I think you can feel safe that Leupold CS will be arpound to fix anything ya send back,but an un-braked 378 has some serious recoil? Put a NEAR A mount on it , one of the new ones with the 2 rings up front and the 1 in the rear! 378 recoil is amazing and without a accubrake i probably would not be interested :)

HOGWILD338-378":do14ie6g said:
What kinda mount are you using on the 378 FOTIS ?
I have a Mark 4 6.5-20x50 LR/T on my 338-378 and it has been rock steady but i am using Warne steel bases with Warne steel tactical mounts on it! I was talking to Leupold about the erector system and they mentioned that at near full travel they had had some issues with quality? I think you can feel safe that Leupold CS will be arpound to fix anything ya send back,but an un-braked 378 has some serious recoil? Put a NEAR A mount on it , one of the new ones with the 2 rings up front and the 1 in the rear! 378 recoil is amazing and without a accubrake i probably would not be interested :)

That is an interesting concept HOG. Maybe a 3 ring or even a 4 ring mounting system would eliminate the scope tube flexing under the extream recoil of the braked 378 Wby.
JD Jones offers the TSOB bounts for the hand cannons.

JD338

That is just incredible recoil or abuse on the scope. Glad the Zeiss is holding ground though. Be pretty interesting to see if it gives up or keeps on trucking.

JD

If he used a 3 ring A Mount i can promise you it would support the tube way better than most any other single ring applications! 378 has some wicked recoil but surprised to hear that it is having problems with a accu-braked rifle? I have looked at the felt recoil on the 378 and it's more than i would wanta deal with! One of these days i will take the brake off my 338-378 and see if my 100 yd zero changes and how my shoulder does :)

My 338 Lapua Ackley ripped-apart 2 IOR riflescope. Scott at IOR kept sending me new one and they would last no more than 70 firings and it's toast. I feel so bad for IOR that I mounted the 3rd replacement scope on my 308 instead and ordered a MK4 for the 338. I've had a few hundred rounds on it already and never had any issue.

You know me Jim,

Once I start disliking something I cut the cord. :evil:

Back