Leupold let me down today ? But not Today 2

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
What would you do took my 300 H&H out to sight in before hunting season Scope Leupold 3.5x40 40mm CDS with a CDS dial for windage also groups were ok but was shooting 3 inches right elevation was perfect. I turned windage left and left some more with no change in POI. Could not get it to move POI to the left, Took it home plan B sight in .264 Win Mag Leupold 4.5x14 40mm, Same thing could not get the adjustment to move correctly . Just about to leave and turned the windage both direction about 8 MOA both directions a few times the set it back on Zero. Shot another group Perfect for center. Now the bad news shot all my 130GR NOSLER AB but 2 so load more .264 Win Mag 130gr AB or go back to 300 H&H Mag and experiment its windage adjustment ? And see what happens ? One month to Elk Season
1. Three choices Load more .264 Win Mag 130gr AB ?
2. See if spinning dials on windage on 300 H&H Mag see what happen’s if it starts to work correctly ?
3. Get old faithful out 6mm Rem and load up some Nosler 95gr BT.
One month to Elk hunting Season over the counter Colorado Bull only.

use a plumb line and check windage. i guess the optic has been use by you and now went haywire? as for ammo, reload for all just in case? moving optics isn't something i do unless i have a new build and no optic for it yet. i'm sure you're an experienced shooter with the h/h, so no flinching to throw thing off?

I primarily use VX-5HD's or Mark 5's or older Mark 4's
Sorry to hear about your problems replace scopes (Send them in) or use a different gun that is proven

Sadly leupold has fallen way behind in. Scopes with dialing turrets. Older set it and forget it leupolds are generally still trustworthy but I’ve been very let down with leupolds sporting turrets. Even the vx5 that I tried was inconsistent and would trend right as I raised elevation. I’ve switched to vortex razor, nightforce, and trijicon .

Well loaded 20 cartridges for 300 H&H Mag will give it another try in the am and if I can not get it sighted in on to the .264 Win Mag. Both guns were shooting good groups just not where I wanted the groups to be. The last group with the .264 Win Mag was on POI on the last group but I only have 2 shells left of Nosler 130gr AB. I do have 1/2 a pound left of Retumbo and about 60 Nosler 130gr AB left to reload.

If the 300 H&H Mag does not work tommorow, on to the .264 Win Mag tumbling Brass now ! Just Glad I am not a one rifle Man ! :)
Glad the Season is over a month away.

Leupold.
They should come with a postage paid return label.
And it’s been going on for a several decades. Around 1990 I can recall dad returning VX3’s and no questions asked, getting new scopes from the factory.

It was surprising to me, the first time I adjusted a scope and didn’t have tap on it or fire another round for the impact change to occur.
I’m Nightforce and SB now. No regrets.

One of the best bang for buck scopes avaliable right now is the GPO scopes .
Zeiss Conquest quality glass. For about 1/2 price. Company owned by former President of Zeiss USA. German tubes; HD quality Japanise glass.

never ceases to amaze me that folks leave a scope set on a rifle for years, with steel on steel adjustments. Then are surprised cause the adjustments are sticky, I always move them alot more than needed, then move them back. The more you spin them knobs the better they track!

I have one that failed too . getting ready for my moose hunt I was shooting two rifles . my 7 rem mag was shooting about 1/2" right . the groups seemed bigger than normal too . I thought that might be me today , I'll be shooting again before I go away . next trip to the range , the rifle is still shooting about the same place , the groups still seemed big . I made the 2 click windage adjustment to the left . fired 3 rounds didn't see any holes . walked out to check the target , I had three holes strung up the very edge of the target . the scope moved right about 6 inches . I swapped the scope with another and all is well . when I started to doubt the scope , I noticed the magnification didn't seem as good as the other scope . 14 power on the faulty scope seemed to be about like 8 or 9 power on the other rifle I was shooting . a scope going bad can drive a guy nuts .

Not to hijack this thread but I’ve had good luck with the various set and forget Leupold scopes that I own.

What are some brands that compare with say a VX-3i with similar quality of glass, eye relief, reticle choices, classic lines and weight, and $300-$500 price point?

I like the Burris Fullfield scopes for the money. I don’t feel like they are on par with my VX-3i’s however.

Join the broken Leupold club

Pretty much. I refuse to buy a new Leupold. I have not see one track or return to zero yet.....and I work up loads for many, many rifles. My leupolds are 2x7 or 3x9 of the vari-x variety usually on lever guns..

Now I do SWFA, NF, Trijicon, Maven, vortex razor, some Arken and Athlons.

Last edited:
Ridge_Runner was correct ran the dials up and down a few times as well as windage knob.
Well First group of the Day 100 yds.
All is well again i thought about what Ridge_Runner said and Thanks
Not a bad group for a Rifle made before WWII

Attachments

• IMG_4235.jpeg
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    763.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4236.jpeg
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    975 KB · Views: 16
I've had three Leupold scope fail. One was on IIRC a 30-06 and two on my .35 Whelen. The 30-06 and one Whelen were at the range so no harm done other than it's being a PITA going back home and putting on a different scope. The third was on an elk hunt and is probably the luckiest shot I ever made. The elk was out in the open looking at me trying to figure out just what I might be. I had a comfortable rest and the guide said 350 yards, I held for a fairly high chest shot and the elk slowly sank by the stern and laid down. I'd cranked another round into the chamber which was not needed and when I looked through the scope the thought was, "What? Where in the hell is the reticle?" Clean scope picture but no crosshair. No matter as the elk was down and out but when we got to it the location of the bullet strike was in the neck at the base of the skull, not in the chest. HUH?
I sent that scope back to Leupold and they repaired it along with a note saying they didn't know what I was shooting but the internals for reticle adjustment were literally disintegrated.
I also have another Leupold, one of the earlier long tube M4s in 4X that is weird. The picture it the scope looks as if it reduces te sight picture and seems to be a 1.5X or something. It almost looks as if I'm looking through the scope from the front. I don't think Leupold is fixing those any more so I haven't sent it back.
Paul B.

I sent an M8 6x back to Leupold last week. I sent a Vari X II back last year with an adjustment ring that wouldn't turn. Got it back a few weeks later, put it on my 7mm rem mag and zeroed it in with my favorite 160 AccuBond load with no trouble. The work order showed they replaced ocular lens, reticle, and fixed the power ring. Came back good as new. On the other hand, a friend has a vx iii 4.5-14 that had parallax issues as well as unreliable reticle adjustments. He sent it back to Leupold, they fixed the scope but never elaborated on what they did. That M8 6x was one of my favorite scopes. I hope it comes back A-1.

Back