Leupold new VX-2 with a German #4

It is getting cheaper to buy a scope. Consider that when I bought my first Leupold scope in 1964 or whatever, I was making about $120/week (without overtime) and the scope was $160. That was just a little less than my rifle cost. So, I guess that the ratio of scope to rifle has stayed more the same then pay has.

Thanks for the report Earle...I had pretty much written Leupold off for new scope purchases. Like you, most of my hunting rifles have #4 reticles for the same reason as you. I get on target with moving game much faster with this reticle than any others I have tried. I do use other reticles on my varmint rigs, but that doesn't usually involve fast moving targets through brush :lol: .

Would you say the reticle has the same thickness as the 1 inch Swarovski scopes?

I cant comment on the Swarvoski but the inside crosshairs of this VX-2 with the #4 reticule is slightly thicker than on my Zeiss Conquests. Probably 10% so not a big deal but it is thicker. The outside heavy part is almost identical . Just the opposite with the Sightron Scopes the #4 is thinner on the center wires and much thinner on the outter part????? Not sure why they did that ???? Anyway dont write old Leo off yet as this little VX-2 most certainly has a place in the American Market and sort fills that gap between a $150 scope and a Zeiss Conquest or Minox so its got a spot for alot of hunters that will not be spending the dough on German glass . IMHO
Update!
3/22; I just had a chance to compare this scope to a friends new VX-3 that is a 1.5/5 power and the first thing I noticed is the reticule is DIFFERENT in the 3 series than in the 2 series the center wires are thinner and about identical to the Zeiss in heavyness and porportions. There was very little difference overall in our first impressions but I did note that with both scopes set at 3 power the VX-3 does have a slight advantage in FOV. Edge to Edge clarity was identical at midday and I did NOT get a chance to try them until darkness overtook them. All and all the VX3 is nice and I liked it alot and was surprised it had a slightly different #4 Reticule!

Back