Leupold or Bushnell

MX Racer

Beginner
Jan 17, 2007
I have a Nosler M48 on the way and the two scopes I'm considering are the:

#1 Leupold VX-III 4.5-14X40LR B&C $679.99

or

#2 Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X42 MD $$719.99

I have Leupold's on everyone of my rifles except my T/C muzzleloader which has the Nikon Omega. I really like the 2.5-16 variable but have never owned a Bushnell before. Just curious on anyone's opinion.

I had a VX-III 4.5-14X40LR and sold it to be replaced by the 6500 you mentioned. So far I'm very pleased with the scope. Really like the pop up turrets, the side focus is very percise and so far the scope adjustments are right on and don't need the addtional tap on the adjustment knobs to get them to settle. They can be found much cheaper than 719.00, I paid 600.00 for mine new in box.

And the 6500 has a 1 yr refund policy which means you could use it for a yr to try it out. If not happy, return it for something else. Thats unheard of!

JD338

Thanks for the input guys. I really like my Leupolds but have wanted to try the new Bushnell. I've heard that Bushnell wasn't so great in the past when it came to rifle scopes but that things have changed and that they are putting out a great product now.
I'm sure I can find it cheaper, those prices came from Cabelas and I was just using it to show that both scopes are similiar in price. Thanks again!

well I just went from a bushnell to a Leupold, but then I'm takin a Bushnell "trophy" off not a comparable Bushnell. I never had a complaint with the Bushnell cept parralax problem and it wouldnt hold a zero. Still clear and minute of deer accurate. CL

MX Racer":3h3c5zs0 said:
Thanks for the input guys. I really like my Leupolds but have wanted to try the new Bushnell. I've heard that Bushnell wasn't so great in the past when it came to rifle scopes but that things have changed and that they are putting out a great product now.
I'm sure I can find it cheaper, those prices came from Cabelas and I was just using it to show that both scopes are similiar in price. Thanks again!

I never ran a Bushnell prior to the 6500 so I have no input of years past Bushnell scopes. My 6500 is currently mounted on a 338 Lapua and all is good with the world.

MX Racer,

After spending on that Nosler rifle I would put a nice scope on it. If you don't have one to switch look at the Zeiss Conquests. In my experience, and I have ten Leu's and now seven Zeiss, that the Conquests have superior resolution and far better glare control than the old design Leu's.

The best deals on Zeiss are from Cameralands demo list.

I can't speak for the 6500, but I can attest to the quality of it's little brother, the 3200 series. I have two of them, and find them to be excellent quality, clear as a bell, and perfect in their tracking. I've shot through Zeiss Conquests, and they're very nice, but I think I'd take a look at the 6500 just because they are supposed to be the best thing going. Also, that 1yr money back thing is on any of the Elites - 3200, 4200, and 6500. Beyond that, they also have a lifetime warranty, as well.

MX Racer":3khfr8tl said:
I have a Nosler M48 on the way and the two scopes I'm considering are the:

#1 Leupold VX-III 4.5-14X40LR B&C $679.99

or

#2 Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X42 MD $$719.99

I have Leupold's on everyone of my rifles except my T/C muzzleloader which has the Nikon Omega. I really like the 2.5-16 variable but have never owned a Bushnell before. Just curious on anyone's opinion.
.....................What cartridge is your new Nosler 48? I have a reason for asking............

Same as my NCR, 300wsm. I really like this caliber and wanted to get it in an extreme conditions weather platform.

Why do you ask?

I'm also considering the VX-7 3.5-14X50 LR, but man those are expensive and I'm not to sure about size and the 50mm objective. Wish they had this same scope in a VX-L style.

Antelope_Sniper":1vssh579 said:
I was kind of hoping you would get the 6500, put it on a .50BMG and give us a 5000 round product report!! :lol:

Would love too but unfortunately the 50BMG isn't legal in the screwed up state of California, anymore. :roll:

MX Racer":292kvviu said:
Same as my NCR, 300wsm. I really like this caliber and wanted to get it in an extreme conditions weather platform.

Why do you ask?

I'm also considering the VX-7 3.5-14X50 LR, but man those are expensive and I'm not to sure about size and the 50mm objective. Wish they had this same scope in a VX-L style.
.................The Nosler 48 is a lighter, good handling and a very desirable rifle for mountaneous and rough terrain should you encounter those conditions.

Although a good scope with great optics as my former 3x9 4200, a 2x16 30mm tubed Elite 6500 @ 17 to 21 oz. (depending on your objective size), defeats the purpose of owning a lighter rifle in the first place.

Unless your hunting varmits, hunting from a stand (not much hiking) and paper punching at the longer ranges, a 2x16 6500 is not only over scoping for a 300 WSM, but it is adding additional and un-needed weight to that rifle. Even a max of 14x is too much imo.

Be careful here! Don`t make the same mistake my friend made, who emotionally bought a Remy Sendero (LOOKS GREAT), then added a big, heavy scope to take on a 1st time very difficult goat hunt!............He`s still re-coop`n!!..... :lol:

Match as best as possible, the scope to the rifle, to the conditions, to the ranges and for the game of your hunts. IMO, a 6500 is not the best choice for a 300 WSM Nosler 48.

Also, I`m not a big fan of 50mm and greater objectives. They cost more, weigh more and add a higher profile to the rifle. Added light gathering, offers only a minimal advantage with a 50mm.

For your 48, excellent choices are the 2.5-8x36 VX3, a 3x9 VX3, a 3x9 4200, a 2.5x10 4200, the Monarch, the 3x9 Zeiss Conquest; something along those lines.

With the exception of smaller varmit hunting and paper punching, for general over all hunting, for just about any game and condition, a lighter lower profiled 10x max, is all that would be necessary for your 300 WSM.

My 300 WSM quick handler, sports a 10.9 oz. 2.5-8x28 Monarch EER scout scope, suitable for any deer sized game and larger game out to 400-500 yards and is very quick in closer cover too.

Putting a big 6500 on your 48 is just a little big and top heavy.

With all due respect, I disagree with the idea that you have to have an ultralightweight scope on your Nosler 48. For comparison, the 6500 is listed on Bushnell's website at 17.3oz for the 2.5-16x42 listed in the original post. this scope isn't going to sit markedly higher than a 3-9x40 on the rifle, and the weight range of the scopes listed in the preceeding post runs from 11.5oz for the 2.5-8x36 up to 16oz for th 2.5-10x40 4200. I dare say that roughly 6oz is not going to make that rifle a burden to carry, though it does bear investigating whether or not the balance of the rifle is good with your scope choice. I like special purpose gear as much as anyone, but I also like options in the field, and having the ability to carry an all purpose rifle like the 48 for a variety of hunting purposes seems fitting to me. Your mileage may vary.

dubyam":1kegyg2n said:
With all due respect, I disagree with the idea that you have to have an ultralightweight scope on your Nosler 48. For comparison, the 6500 is listed on Bushnell's website at 17.3oz for the 2.5-16x42 listed in the original post. this scope isn't going to sit markedly higher than a 3-9x40 on the rifle, and the weight range of the scopes listed in the preceeding post runs from 11.5oz for the 2.5-8x36 up to 16oz for th 2.5-10x40 4200. I dare say that roughly 6oz is not going to make that rifle a burden to carry, though it does bear investigating whether or not the balance of the rifle is good with your scope choice. I like special purpose gear as much as anyone, but I also like options in the field, and having the ability to carry an all purpose rifle like the 48 for a variety of hunting purposes seems fitting to me. Your mileage may vary.
.................There was no mention by me that one "had to have" an ultra light weight scope on a Nosler 48.

While the 6500 can be used, it would not be my first choice.

6 oz. may not seem like alot of weight and it certainly isn`t. But on the flip side, every ounce can and does make a difference depending on the degree of difficulty of terrain and longevity on a particular hunt.

The 6500`s are no doubt good scopes with great variable versatility, assuming one were to throw in longer range varmit hunting and paper punching....But, used for strictly deer and larger game, it is overkill imo.

I would go for the Leupold before the Bushnell any day but.....
I would go with a Zeiss before the Leupold VXIII. The clarity of the conquest and the repeatability of the adjustments are better.
You won't be sorry. :wink:

Sorry, between these two choices, the Leopold wins. I have to much pride in my guns to mount a Bushnell on anything. :wink:

There are way more than only two choices.

The Zeiss Conquests are superior optically to the Leupold by a wide margin.

The reticules in Leu. scopes fade to pink when trying to look towards light! Leupold has discontinued the VX series as its design is obsolete and their cheaper scopes are similar designs.

Have never owned a 6500 so can't comment on them.

I have owned Leupolds for years.Last year I ordered a conquest to try out after hearing so many glowing reports about them.The conquest is a good scope nothing wrong with it.

The conquest has a little better optics but not much,the Leupold is smaller, lighter and the eye box is much better.The new VX-3 will be even better than the VX-III,so I won't be buying anymore conquests.

And Leupold has THE BEST customer service in the indusrty.

Back