Leupold Spotting Scope

RiverRider

Handloader
Dec 9, 2008
For a couple of years I had a Burris 25-75x spotter, the one with the Cassegrain mirror. I used it at the range and it was better than nothing, but seeing bullet holes at 200 to 300 yards was probably about as good as it was going to get. The image was hazy and the thing was difficult to focus. So, I decided to upgrade and sold the Burris and gave the buyer a very decent price.

I had been reading and was shopping around. I was thinking of one of the Leupold Green Ring spotters, 20-60x I think. I was also looking at some Minox spotters that had very good reviews. I was going to spend up to $400, maybe a little more. I found a couple of decent deals here and there but kept shopping around, and decided to see what I could find on Gunbroker one evening. Lo and behold, there was a Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x in excellent condition (the things rubber armored for cryin' out loud) for $525 Buy it Now. That was a little more than I had planned on spending, but that's a screamin' deal on a $1000 spotter with a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty. I had always gazed upon these as something I'd love to have but figured there would never be one in the cards for me. I thought about it for about 30 seconds and pulled the trigger on it. I had it in my hands about ten days later.

When I took the thing outside and set it up on a tripod, I was flabbergasted. I had no freekin' idea optics could be that good. I know you can spend more money and get even better glass, but I don't believe it can really get a whole lot better! I do believe I could see bullet holes at 600 yards or further without so much as a squint.

I have always loved Leupold rifle scopes and they are the only scopes I own, except for a cheap Simmons 4-12x that came to me on a rifle I bought last fall and that I am using for load development in my AR-15. Now I have seen what it is like to have a nice spotting scope and I don't know how I put up with cheap ones as long as I did. That was the best $525 I ever spent.

RiverRider

Congratulations on your Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60mm spotting scope.
I have the same one so I know what you have, welcome to the club. :grin:

JD338

It is a great spotting scope. Congratulations on upgrading to a quality scope.

River Rider - that's a good one!

Far, far better than the spotting scopes they import and sell at low prices.

Guy

Really nice scope and Leupold surely backs them up. I have a 25x-50mm fixed that I love, but they have a new compact 15-30x-50mm that I have been eyeballing pretty hard and might have to think about selling my old one. Great choice you made on a fine scope.

Great spotting scope. Great eye relief with eyeglasses. I have had mine about 10 years. I purchased a swarovski recently. I probably should sell the leupold.

Great grab River Rider. Have always loved that spotter & come close many times.. Just wish a had a angled eyepiece.

Heck of a price.. Congrats..

Rod

Man, for 525.00 you got a screaming good deal. Those are the same scopes we used to have in our team kit, and man, I wished I could just find one that fell off a truck! Excellent piece of glass. Scotty

Back