Leupold VX 3 - CDS vs. M1 turret...

jagermeister

Beginner
Jun 1, 2012
Hi Folks, I will probably be on the market to purchase a new scope and was thinking Leupy Vx 3 4,5-14x50 with Fine duplex illuminated reticle.
At first, I was going to retrofit it with M1 type external turrets but I see there is also the CDS option.
What is the difference between the two and which one would you Guys recommend for long range hunting and why ?
Thanks a bunch !
J

M1 dials are perfect over the CDS. More robust and not specific to a certain load. With M1 you can also get windage.

JD338

...and, if I got it right, CDS turret do one turn only...

So, depending on caliber/load, we are talking something about 6 MOA max.....

Can you confirm ?

:wink:

A few years back I had M1 elevation & windage knobs put on my older 1" tube 4.5-14x Leupold. Couldn't be happier with that setup.

CDS though is not a bad system. I just haven't used it much.

Most Leupolds are 60 clicks or 15 MOA per revolution. The CDS dials turn more than one revolution as do the M1 dials.

The m1s are nice. I chose to stick with CDS moa dial because of it's lower profile. I have (2) 4.5x14 VX 3s that I had Leupold change out the reticles to the TS-32x1. Staying with the MOA CDS keeps the scopes ability to shoot different loads/rifles. The CDS and M1s will make multiple revolutions but neither have zero stops.

Between the reticle and less than 1 turn on the dial I can go way further than I can shoot. I only want to dial enough to fine tune the reticle. I.E. if the solution is 15.5MOA - I'd hold 14 and dial 1.5. I'll hold for windage. Without a zero stop I'd like to avoid more than 1 revolution. Nothing like getting "lost" on the dial.
Scott

Yeah, if I'm shooting more than 15 MOA, I'm probably shooting too far for me anyway.

It's +15 MOA from my 100 yard zero to my 600 yard dope, with my .308 Win & 168 gr HPBT match bullets. That's enough distance to keep me happy most of the time...

Guy

Guy Miner":rfitt2si said:
Yeah, if I'm shooting more than 15 MOA, I'm probably shooting too far for me anyway.

It's +15 MOA from my 100 yard zero to my 600 yard dope, with my .308 Win & 168 gr HPBT match bullets. That's enough distance to keep me happy most of the time...

Guy

Guy is spot on...I have 11.5 MOA at 600 yards with my 6BRX from my 100 yard zero. The come-ups at 300 yards is only 3.2 moa. The average hunting bullet will require more windage and elevation adjustments at those ranges, but how many of us are shooting that far for most shots.

I have 3 of the 3.5-10x40 VX3's with CDS. They are very versatile IMO:
You can get a custom yardage dial, load specific, or you can get a CDS dial made up in MOA. This will allow you to use the MOA dial with any load. Also, you can get the dials with or without a zero stop. All of mine are set up with a 200 yard zero with zero stop. That makes it pretty much foolproof. Mine have proven to be very reliable so far.

Back