Leupold VX-6 2x12 lack of AO???

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I am really looking at getting one of these for one of my rifles. My question is the following.
Why no parallax adjustment on this super nice scope?

Also is parallax adjustment that big a deal? I am just confused.

A lot of optical experts claim that there is really no need for AO under 12X. I have a 5-15x44 Zeiss Diavari scope with no parallax correction knob on it. There is very little parallax in this scope at any normal range until 15x.

Fotis,

I've always considered AO necessary only for greater than twelve power. This particular scope is at the lower limit of need.

To me it looks like a Ferrari but with NO Air Conditioner.

I do not get it.

Oldtrader nailed it...Parallax adjustment is not generally need until at least 12x...provided the scope is properly designed. That is to say that some budget scopes have a major parallax problem, even at fixed 4x. LOL.

Take Vortex's 2.5-10x44mm Viper HS...also, no parallax adjustment.

At 12x you'd probably be OK without it for a hunting scope...precision targets are another matter though.

I also have a Swarovski 4-12x50 that has no parallax adjustment and it has no parallax that I can find.

I haven't had any issues like the others with Parallax under 12X. Had a few of them and they were all fine. Now, that danged 4.5x14 VX3 I got from you was WORTHLESS over 12X on all but a perfect day, and that is why it went down the road.

I do not know I think for the money this one is very very hard to beat. I have one on my 30-378

bushnell_652164B.jpg

The Elite 6500 Series contains the world's most versatile riflescope, featuring a 6.5x magnification range, the widest in the industry. This scope is ideal for hunters who want a scope they can use in the brush as well as on the wide-open prairie, from Georgia pine forests to the high peaks of the Rockies. Push/pull turrets with resettable zero make sighting-in easier than ever. This model have a one-piecee 30 mm tube to deliver plenty of light for those perfect shots right before legal shooting ends, and up to five inches of eye relief. This new 6500 model is flagship scope of Bushnell's Elite line, with the highest resolution and widest field of view, as well as fully multicoated optics with RainGuard® HD, ensuring a consistently sharp, clear view even in the worst conditions.

Features:

* RainGuard® HD
* Fully multi-coated optics
* Magnum recoil-proof construction
* 30mm tube
* 3" sunshade
* Side Focus - 10 yds to Inf
* 100% waterproof/fogproof/shockproof construction
* Dry-nitrogen filled
* 1/4 M.O.A. or finer fingertip, audible/resettable windage and elevation adjustment
* Elite® Bullet-Proof Warranty

Specifications:

* Power / Obj Lens: 2.5-16x 42mm
* Finish: Matte
* Length (in / mm): 13.5 / 343
* Reticle: DOA 600
* Field of View (ft@100 ft. / m@100 m): 41/13.7@2.5x 6.55/2.2@16x
* Adj Range in@100yds/ mm@100m: 78 / 1.9
* Weight (oz. / g): 17.3 / 491
* Exit Pupil (mm): 16.8 / 2.6
* Eye Relief (in / mm): 3.9 / 100
* Mounting Length (in / mm): 5 / 127
* Click Value in@100 yds / mm@100m: .25 / 7
* Model: 652164B

That is a very nice optic Fotis. Never owned one, but I'm not against one either.

you can find them for around 600 NIB

Fotis, you and I rate the pro deal from Pro Motive. You for being retired and me for being active duty. Check them out, Leupold Tactical, Bushnell, Zeiss and about 200 other great vendors. You will not beat the Zeiss or Leupold tactical deals. At least not that I have found. I will have to check the Bushnell price.

SJB358":39qp0gfn said:
I haven't had any issues like the others with Parallax under 12X. Had a few of them and they were all fine. Now, that danged 4.5x14 VX3 I got from you was WORTHLESS over 12X on all but a perfect day, and that is why it went down the road.

Oh sure, now you tell me! :)

BK":3jy5gts8 said:
SJB358":3jy5gts8 said:

My issue wasn't hunting with it Kurt, it was trying to shoot paper at 300 yards in Va Summer's when the heat is pushing a 100*. It drove me batty. I back it down to 12X and it was Good To Go.

BK":tdjho5mz said:
SJB358":tdjho5mz said:

Ha! What friend! We do catch heck shooting in the summertime around here.

I have a couple of scopes that do not have AO on them that go above 10X. Both of them are expensive scopes and manage the optics to 12X or a little more with no discernable parallax. These scopes are a 4-12x50 Swarovski and a 5-15x42 Zeiss Diavari. I use both of them to 12x with no issues.

Back