Leupold VX-R scopes

Tnhunter

Beginner
Jul 4, 2012
Moderators, if this product has already been reviewed here, feel free to dump this one.

Leupold's new VX-R series seems to be a follow-on to an earlier series they marketed here in the states that was built to European specs, their European 30mm series. I happen to have two of those scopes, one a 1.25-4x20 and the other is a 2-7x33, both with #4 type reticles. My take on both those scopes is that they are simply great hunting scopes and perhaps the best hunting scopes I own, including some fine Zeiss Conquests I own and use.

To qualify that a bit more, I've done low light tests on my many scopes several different times. In all cases, the Zeiss scopes have given the brightest and clearest view in the lowest light levels. However, there's more to a hunting scope than pure brightness. You also need to be able to place your shot using the crosshairs and putting them in proper position on an animal's body to make a clean harvest.

When I add my dark on dark test into the mix during low light comparisons I found that the #4 reticles in my two 30mm Leupolds showed better than the Z-Plex reticles in my three Zeiss Conquests. So, as a hunting scope, the Leupolds edged the Conquests for use in dark on dark aiming (such as a reticle on a black bear or black hog). Now, what does this have to do with a review of the newer VX-R scope line?

Well, it looks to me that the VX-R is simply more of a good thing. I happen to have chosen two different reticles for my two different VX-Rs. I got a Firedot Duplex in my 2-7x33 and a Firedot 4 in my 1.25-4x20. As you may have noticed, my scope selection exactly parallels the two other 30mm Leupolds I already owned and was very happy with. The VX-R simply adds a glowing dot (hence Firedot) available to be lit in the very center of the chosen reticle type.

This dot must be turned on (switch on left side adjacent the two adjustment turrets) and has a multi-level adjustment for brightness making it useful in full daylight (bright) as well as in near darkness (low). This feature works very well as it also has an auto shut-off. What this feature does is automatically switch off battery power to the reticle when the rifle has not been moved for 5 minutes (saving battery juice). Immediately upon sensing motion, the reticle relights and my tests show it will be there & on before the rifle's butt hits your shoulder as you pick up and shoulder your previously stationary rifle.

Both reticles work in a standard manner when the power is switched off, so you always have a 30mm regular scope, even with a dead battery and remember, my opinion is that even without the glowing dot, the 30mm Leupolds with a heavy reticle outperform the fine Zeiss Conquest in a dark on dark scenario. Not exactly chopped liver, even without the revolutionary Firedot system operating.

If your hunting does not put you in position to need the best low light performance available (legally) such as a black bear coming in at 25 mins after SS or a hog standing against a woodline at even 45 mins after SS, then you may not need a scope like this. But if you enjoy getting the most out of each and every day spent afield and being able to shoot at any time during legal hunting hours, or if you routinely hunt black bear or hogs (especially where it's legal 24/7), this scope might be worth taking a hard look at.

My first VX-R in 2-7x33 helped me take a hog this past January at around 20 mins after SS in thick Georgia woods and my newer one, the 1.25-4 with #4 reticle will be used this September on a Maine black bear hunt. Any time I need a new scope for a new rifle, I will look to this scope series first. For me & my hunting, they are that good. No, I'm not going to replace the other scopes I now use on other rifles including Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch & Prostaff, Bushnell Elite 3200 & 4200 series, Leupold VXI, VXII and Vari-XII, Burris FF & FFII, Pentax Whitetails Unlimited and Weaver V Series among them, but I do like the extra abilities they lend for some specific hunting tasks along with their very fine all-around performance.

There are, of course, better quality scopes out there. But at this price break, $400-$500. I feel the Leupold VX-R line to be at or very near the top of the heap.

Attachments

• BLR 325 with VX R.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4,670
  • Verney Carron with Leupold 3800+.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4,670
Great review Ed. I am liking that 1.25x4.. Might have to give it a look..

I have two VX-Rs and I've been very happy with them.

3-9 w/a German #4 on my 35 Whelen
4-12 CDS duplex on a 7mm08.

The glass compares well side by side with the conquest Zeiss. Edge to edge clarity is about the same and in low light, the VX-R pulls ahead. The variable brightness is extremely handy and battery life has proven to be very good.

Aside from the larger tube and added weight from the electronics, it's a fine optic. I'm more than confident they will do their part in the field.

I got a Firedot Duplex in my 3x9. Very nice scope.

Great review! It was pretty helpful while I was researching what to get for my 358 win project gun. I just placed an order for the 1.25-4X20 with a FireDot 4 reticle. Went with Warne PRW for mounts. I also read your update post on the optics page. It's nice to have info like that to look at before buying a scope that you can't find in a store to try out in person.

Thanks again!

After that review, there is little doubt in my mind that I will be selling the ZA-5 and the VX-R will be going on my son's BDL :) .
I believe that it will be the 4-12 X 40mm. Does anyone now if there is options on the reticle as on their site it only shows one?

Blessings,
Dan

I have one of the 1.25x4's coming for my 45-70. Got the #4 illuminated. If its as good as others say it is, I might secure a couple more. For the money, there's not much else in that league.

Scotty, I would have to agree with u on that.
They make a good quality piece of glass.

Blessings,
Dan

SJB358":qnklmg14 said:
I have one of the 1.25x4's coming for my 45-70. Got the #4 illuminated. If its as good as others say it is, I might secure a couple more. For the money, there's not much else in that league.

Great mind think alike! That is what I'll be putting on my 45-70 as well!

jmad_81":2eyr3vxe said:
SJB358":2eyr3vxe said:

Great mind think alike! That is what I'll be putting on my 45-70 as well!

If it is all it's cracked up to be, I would like one more of them to put on my slug gun. I really like the #4 reticle and the FOV seems really good, even compared with the 1.5x5 VX3..

Should have mine pretty shortly as well. Looking forward to load work with the 45-70 to get my bear load worked up.

I have a VX R 1.25-4 Patrol rifle scope on the way to mount on a new AR. Hope it works out. Looks like everyone has good things to say.

I decided to mount my 3x9 on my 338 Rurer #1S.

When the weather turns good I will take it out to sight it in. It seems like a perfect fit.

FOTIS":19oten75 said:
I decided to mount my 3x9 on my 338 Rurer #1S.

When the weather turns good I will take it out to sight it in. It seems like a perfect fit.

CDS on that Fotis? What reticle?

Back