Leupold VX1 vs VX2

tim629

Handloader
Apr 15, 2013
anyone here have a VX1?

when I held them up side by side in a store I didn't see much/any difference, wife saw my cabelas shopping cart and said "you arnt buying that are you?" when she saw the Leupold VX2 2-7 in the cart (oops)

but then I did get to thinking, could I save $100 and never know the difference?

I currently have a tasco on the 22 and a nicer bushnell on the 243 and the leupolds seemed comparable to the bushnell....

I bought a Leupold VX1 in a weak moment when they were 20% off. So, I got a 3-9x40 XV1 for $150. I have owned Leupold whatever (VXII, VXIII and VX3) since 1964, so no bias going into this transaction. I put the scope on a Savage Model 93 .22 WMR which shots 3/4 MOA groups at 100 yards.

After about 3 months on the Savage, I tested the scope against a VXII 2-7x28 and a Vari-XIII 4.5-14x40AO. The tests were done at 7x a half hour after sunset on a rainy winter day. Firs-t complaint was that you could not do a 20 click box and end up in the same place.

My second complaint was clarity against my VXII which had just been gone over and repaired by Leupold. They were not equal in clarity or contrast. The VXI also had pincushion on the edges at lower power, an indication of a cheaply made scope. I ended up selling the VXI (LNIB) on EBay and buying a Minox ZA5 for the Savage .22 WMR.

I bought a Leupold VX1 in a weak moment when they were 20% off. So, I got a 3-9x40 XV1 for $150. I have owned Leupold whatever (VXII, VXIII and VX3) since 1964, so no bias going into this transaction. I put the scope on a Savage Model 93 .22 WMR which shoots 3/4 MOA groups at 100 yards.

After about 3 months on the Savage, I tested the scope against a VXII 2-7x28 and a Vari-XIII 4.5-14x40AO. The tests were done at 7x a half hour after sunset on a rainy winter day. First complaint was that you could not do a 20 click box and end up in the same place.

My second complaint was clarity against my VXII which had just been gone over and repaired by Leupold. They were not equal in clarity or contrast. The VXI also had pincushion on the edges at lower power, an indication of a cheaply made scope. I ended up selling the VXI (LNIB) on EBay and buying a Minox ZA5 for the Savage .22 WMR.

No bias against Leupold, I just bought a VX3 about 3 month ago and like the scope very much.

I believe Leupold has upgraded the recent version of the VX-2 to remain competitive at its price point. I havent compared this newer version but have experience with their original configuration and was underwhelmed to say the least. The newer version has good reviews but I don't trust the word of paid reviewers much.

I have a 2006 VX-II and one that is much older. Both of them a superior in optical quality and function than my 3yr old VX-I to my eye anyway. I wont buy another VX-I. Its fine, no real complaints, I just think there are better or as good scopes for equal or less $. IMHO CL

went with the VX2 2-7 LR duplex

8:45 northern NY so not dark but the sun is well below the horizon looked into the field across from the house and could see the calves in it quite clearly. Couldn't make out the extra reticle dots in this low of light but the main crosshairs were still very clear/sharp.

can't wait to get the guns home, scope mounted, and set up my reloading space so I can test it out on a rifle

Back