Leupold VX1

DaveA37

Beginner
Jan 2, 2010
A friend has a Leupold 4-12, 40mm, VX1 that he wishes to sell and I am getting very "tempted". The scope was a gift but he claims he wants something "nicer". (By that he means "pricy" as his tastes often exceed his ability to spend).

I am seriously thinking of buying that scope (it's still "new in the box") as the price is less than retail.

What is your take and opinion of the VX1?

They are a good scope for the money. You still get the lifetime warranty for which Leupold is justly famous. I seem to recall that these are the old VariX 2 scopes renamed.

I have a few Vari X I's and I think they are great scopes. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Might not be the most light gathering scope, but all of mine are strong, hold zeros' and have plenty of light for the majority of my shooting. Scotty

I posed the same question directly to Leupold and here's what their rep Sean Hunter had to say..........

"The current VX-I is the same quality as the older Vari-X II scopes used to be. The current VX-II scopes are what the older Vari-X III scopes used to be. The difference is in light/color transmission and adjustments. The VX-I uses coin friction adjustments and the VX-II uses coin clicking adjustments. The VX-II scopes will transfer more light/color then the VX-I scope line."

Looks like Dr. Mike was on target as well.....

Looks like a new scope will be forthcoming to my collection. :grin:

Well, the VX1 scope is now mine and mounted on a Rem Model 700 in .308 cal. Haven't had a chance to burn up any power just yet but have a few rounds ready to give it a look see.

The scope looks pretty spiffy on that shooter and hopefully will do well for me.

DaveA37

Congratulations on the Leupy scope. Sounds like you got a good deal.

JD338

Back