Leupy rant

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
Why does Leupold seem to not make combinations of features that I want? I'm thinking about putting together a rifle for my son... a 700 Compact in .243 (never mind that he's only 19 months old). With the matte (OK, gravel-blast) finish on the 700, a matte scope is a natural. I figure for a young'un, simple is better, and what could be more simple than a fixed 4x? With a standard Duplex? Well, Leupold seems to think that that is not a desirable combination. I can get a standard Duplex in gloss, or a wide duplex in matte. I hate the wide Duplex. Same thing with the 6x42, no matte with the standard Duplex.

If I had any pull at Leupold, here's what I would add:
6x42 FX3, matte, standard Duplex, with and without M1 elevation knob.
4x33 upgrade to FX3 coatings and such, matte Duplex
3.5-10x40 matte duplex with M1
4.5-14x40 matte duplex with M1

Despite my dalliances lately with euro-glass, I really do like Leupold. I just am loath to buy a scope and then immediately send it to the custom shop to get it set up in what should be a standard offering (I realize the M1 turret thing is a little out there).

BK

I am actually surprised that Leupold doesn't offer a standard duplex reticle in a matt finish.
Call Leupold Customer Service and bend their ear a little bit. If they know what we want, maybe they will start offering it. You might beable to get the custom shop to work with you and change the reticle for a "nominal" fee. :wink:

JD338

I know, JD, I just hate having to take the extra step. Grrr. Because, you know, Beaverton is so far from Wilsonville (that was irony).

BK,

If you are close, go there and do a face to face with the customer service folks. I am thinking that maybe they will be able to do something for you. I agree, you shouldn't have to do this and wouldn't have to if it was a standard offering.

JD338

This is what happens when a company becomes over assorted. They have too many sku's with too many variables to efficiently operate a production run. This will start to play out as consumers really tell Leupold what they want by purchasing something else. If they see an increase in customer feedback regarding the matte fixed power std duplex combo, they will listen and respond if they are smart. Leupold right now is trying to figure out what will be their standard in the long range game. Too many dabblers right now. Their B&C reticle didn't exactly set fire to the hunting world, although quite useable. Every scope in their line should start with the standard duplex.

You can you still go on leupy's website and build your scope? fixed 4x matt, fine duplex, 354.99
RR

I understand that they are going to offer still more iterations shortly. VX6? VX3 with 30mm tube? The user will be the beneficiary. I have no doubt that they are prepared to accommodate any request, and at a reasonable cost.

Doc, Leupy has been offering VX III/VX3 models with 30mm tubes for a while... I know the 4.5-14, 6.5-20 and 8-25 are available with the fat tube in the Long Range model (maybe 3.5-10, too). With both 40 and 50 mm objectives.

Back