LH Sako 85 Hunter 30-06

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
A couple of weeks ago there was a great 1 day sale on Sako rifles at a store down in Vancouver including a few left handed models so I called them in the morning but could not get through. Just before they closed for the day I called back and got through, they had a 30-06 and a 300 Win Mag still left so had to make a choice. I had been wanting a LH Sako 85 in 270 Win for a long time so decided to buy the 30-06 for $500 off their regular price, those kind of sales on LH rifles rarely happen so had to take advantage of it. I thought about getting the Benchmark 277 barrel sitting in the drawer put on it but decided it would be a shame to take it apart before shooting it (which hasn't happened yet), besides a 30-06 is a very useful round to have. I'll use one of my Rem 700's for the 270 Win project instead.

Just before Christmas the gun showed up and it is a beauty. We were gone to visit family over Christmas and just got back last night so now only now have a chance to show it to you. I got the last one they had and it is a real beauty. It was bought sight unseen but honestly I wouldn't want to change it for a different one, the pictures don't do it justice it is a very nice gun. I love how the stock fits and it points and handles very well. The gun is put together very nicely and I like the refinements they made to the 85 over the previous models. Took the Burris 2-7x35 in Leupold mounts off of the old Sako (which will be sold to help finance this gun) and clamped it in place.

The only box of bullets in town that wasn't grossly overpriced was an old box of 220 gr Partitions so I grabbed them along with a box of Nosler 30-06 brass. While in Calgary we stopped by Bass Pro and bought some 180 gr Accubonds and 180 gr Hornady BTSP bullets for a lot less than they would be here. The gun will be my "long range" elk and moose gun (out to 500 yards max but in reality much closer), Those 220 gr Partitions will be used closer to home in our densely forested area for moose and grizzly. Would like to run one of those Hornady BTSP's into a black bear this spring and see how they handle it, which will be great I'm sure.

Anyway here are some pictures. It is hard to get good pictures of the gun at this time of year but will try to get a few more when it finally gets out to the range.

Dan, That looks like a keeper for sure and very nice wood with nice figure in it. Send it to me and I'll break it in for you. :roll: :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

While Dan would like this gun I'm not sending it to him just yet even though he is a great guy........ :lol:

It is a very nice gun though.......

Congratulations, Gerry. Fine looking rifle. I have no doubt it will deliver the goods for you. And, yes, I concur that while Dan is a fine fellow, he wouldn't share his 280 AI or his 35 Whelen when he had the chance, so there is little need to show such consideration. Besides, living in Saskatchewan, he just wouldn't appreciate such a fine rifle, I'm sure.

Wow - great looking rifle - and if it's like most SAKO rifles, it will shoot very accurately!

Enjoy.

Gerry, congrats on the LH Sako. Beautiful rifle and a very useful cartridge. I'm sure you'll put it through its paces.

I'll be interested in the 180 BTSP from the 06. Bill ran the 162 BTSP from his 7 Rem. Seemed like that sucker came apart pretty easy for such long range (400+ yards).

Either way. Enough with the loony talk. That's a beaut of a rifle and I bet it'll shoot!

Very attractive rifle Gerry, congratulations. And your right the 30-06 is a very useful caliber to have around. I believe everyone should have one, even Scotty.

Very nice Gerry

Adding my Congratulations Gerry... Looks like a real beautiful rifle. Two things that I like about it in addition to the beauty... first is the caliber and second the bolt is on the correct side... (y)
Best of luck with it and i look forward to seeing your posts as you work up loads for it and take it afield.

truck driver":3v96omwv said:
Dan, That looks like a keeper for sure and very nice wood with nice figure in it. Send it to me and I'll break it in for you. :roll: :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:
Boy do I have egg on my face! :oops: why did I think this was Dan's post?
Sorry Gerry, It is a very nice rifle with beautiful wood I think I'll go hide somewhere.

truck driver":1yu3ewze said:
truck driver":1yu3ewze said:
Boy do I have egg on my face! :oops: why did I think this was Dan's post?
Sorry Gerry, It is a very nice rifle with beautiful wood I think I'll go hide somewhere.

That's ok Rodger, glad you like having a bit of fun with it.

DrMike I did notice Dan didn't give us either of his customs, Noah and I would have liked them. I would have even given Noah first choice......... :lol:

Rol_P":aaa7o4l9 said:
Adding my Congratulations Gerry... Looks like a real beautiful rifle. Two things that I like about it in addition to the beauty... first is the caliber and second the bolt is on the correct side... (y)
Best of luck with it and i look forward to seeing your posts as you work up loads for it and take it afield.

Yes there are a few of us who shoot from the proper side that would appreciate such a gun. I hope to get out in the next couple of days to give it a whirl.

Scotty, I know the Hornady isn't a super tough bullet but I would be interested in hearing a bit more about Bill's bullet that came apart. I know you love Winchester's but you may also want to take a good look at he Sako's some day, I think you would like them.

Thanks to all on the good wishes, it will be fun to get it out and see what it can do.

gerry":gjdr8wrm said:
DrMike I did notice Dan didn't give us either of his customs, Noah and I would have liked them. I would have even given Noah first choice......... :lol:

Yeah, Dan did appear to be somewhat partial to his custom rifles. By the way, very generous of you to allow Noah first pick. :mrgreen:

That's a great looking rifle Gerry!

Way to resist the urge to rebarrel such a great rifle/cartridge combo!

Be sure to post when you take your black bear!

Thanks for sharing -

Dale

I've always wanted a Sako Gerry. I passed an older one in 270 and 7mm WBY a few years back and still kick myself some. Someday I may have one sneak in though. My uncle is a Sako nut so I've fondled his a few times.

Yes DrMike, he does like them with good reason, a couple of fine rifles.

Right now I have some H 4350 and IMR 4451 to try with the 180's and some old Hercules RL 22 for the 220's. Going to see how those do first. Hodgdon shows some excellent data with IMR 4955 so when it comes available here I'll give it a try. With speeds of over 2800 fps with 180's it looks like it might be a top 30-06 powder soon.

Dale, it just didn't seem right to tear it apart especially since Sako makes a top notch barrel. I will definitely let you guys know first when it bags a blackie. Only 4 months to go till prime bear hunting.........

Scotty, they are nice rifles. I could especially see you behind a 6.5x55, 7x64 or 9.3x62. Actually a 222 would be very nice, they have never made a LH 222 otherwise I would have bought one long ago but some very nice older RH ones come up for sale quite often on different site's I check.

Gerry,

That's a fine rifle.
You did very well.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I got the opportunity to handle a Sako 85 the other day in 9.3X62 pretty slick rifle but I'll stick to the M70.

Very nice Gerry (y) ..beautiful rifle, I'm betting it's gonna be a shooter too :)

Lou (y)

Gerry, I forgot to add, I like oil finished stocks pal, it's a hunting tool for sure, but the odd ding in the stock could occur but much easier to fix with the oil finish pal :) ..just use a damp cloth and an iron to lift up the grain of the wood, then use some 0000 steel wool and apply some tung oil to the effected area, and walla, brand new again! :) ..much easier than the poly coated stocks for sure.

Lou (y)

Back