Light weigth rifles

c.smith,

The Winchester Featherweight went 6.75 lbs and it came out about 40 years ago!

Today the true Lightweights are the Kimbers.

The tikka t3 lite is about the only affordable lightweight rifle for the average guy.

For some reason, lightweight rifles are way more expensive and I dont see why exactly. Sure there lighter, but 9 of 10 times they dont shoot as well as a heavier rifle, especially over 300+ yards. To me, I cant justify spending more on a rifle just because its lighter, and probly wont shoot as well as a rifle thats a couple pounds more.

Nothing wrong with the Tikka lites though. My dad owns one in a 7 RM and it will shoot .5" at 100 yards with 150g NBT's and IMR-4350 pretty regularly. As for it staying a .5 MOA rifle to 500-600 yards, I wouldn't count on it.

I wouldn't mind getting one in a 7mm-08 or something...

Well thank you fellas. I went to Sportsmans tonight and found a T3 Tikka, and I have to say I like it and will go buy it tommorrow morning. I'm looking for a lighter rifle to pack around when I'm hunting. I like to hike hills and my body does not like to much weight ( I had a bad mountain bike wreck three years ago and my neck has never been the same).

Thanks for the imput I'm very excited. Now I have to decide whether to keep my Savage model 114 or not, hmmmm.

Corey

They have a .270 and 3006 both in the stainless. I will probably get the 3006 since I have bullets and brass already. Even though I do have the dies and brass to load for the .270. I stewed about it all night.

Corey

What do you consider affordable? The Rem SPS line is 7 1/4 to 7 5/8 lbs and can be had for around $500 to $550 (WSMs are more). I got my 7RUM for under 500 new (Gun Broker - Bud's Gun Shop)and it's 7 5/8lbs.

Look at the Savage mod 10 or 11 line.

Well I was thinking under $600. I just got back from Sportsmans with the Tikka T3 in 30-06. I have to say I'm very excited. Now I just need to save for one of Leopolds Ultra light scopes.

Corey

Back