Lightening struck me twice in the past 2 days!!!

CraigP

Beginner
May 4, 2005
I got struck by lightening twice in the past 2 days. The moose gods were smiling on me. Last night I drew a bull tag in Maine and today I drew a cow tag in New Hampshire. Now to figure out the logistics.

Craig

Thats great! Go buy a lottery ticket ASAP!
I have 2 freezers so I can keep meat here in you need freezer space. :lol:

What gun and load are you going to use?

JD338

LOL, JD338. I already bought 2 Cash 5's for tonight and 2 Powerballs for tomorrow night. I'm not sure yet what gun I am going to use. I have it narrowed down to 3. My pre-64 Model 70 in the grand old 30-06. This one is my sentimental favorite. My post-64 Model 70 in 300 Weatherby Mag, and my new/used Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 338 Federal. 2 of these rifles will be going with me as I always have a spare along, just in case. The only load I am set on is if I take the 30-06. It just loves the old Federal Premium load with a 180gr. Nosler Partition. The 300 Weatherby and the 338 Federal need some more range time with different loads, both factory and handloads.

Craig

Congratulations. This should be an exciting year for you. I certainly wish you success in either of the hunts.

Outstanding! Congratulations on the tags, and am looking forward to reading about your hunts & seeing some cool photos!

Agree w/JD - you're going to need a lot of freezer space! :grin:

CraigP

30-06 180 gr PT is a classic load, good choice for sure.
The 338 Federal might be fun. Take a look at the 210 gr PT. It penetrates very deeply and would be just about the perfect bullet for moose in your 338 Federal.

JD338

JD338":3mt5f2ak said:
CraigP

30-06 180 gr PT is a classic load, good choice for sure.
The 338 Federal might be fun. Take a look at the 210 gr PT. It penetrates very deeply and would be just about the perfect bullet for moose in your 338 Federal.

JD338

Or even the new 200ET for the 338 Federal. High weight retention, ballistics close to that of the 225AB (about .025" shorter (200ET - 1.425")(225AB - 1.450")) and, I imagine, a little flatter shooting due to the increase in velocity.

I'd take the bull with the old .30-06, and use the .338 Fed on the cow hunt. I like to take a trophy animal with an old friend and it seems whenever I hunt for a trophy animal I grab the old tried and true rifles in my safe. When I hung just for meat I grab the rifles that I have the least hunts with.

Back