Lightweight, inexpensive 308 bolt gun ?

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Need some advice gents.
In the market for a lightweight to use that will have to be carried quite a ways along w a climbing stand. Already know it's going to be a 308 as I have tons of brass and bullets on hand.
Strictly a woods rifle, shots no further than 200 yards, most considerably shorter.
It'll end up w a 2-7 scope of some variety on it.
Have three rifles in mind.
Marlin X7
Ruger American
Tikka T3 super light .

I own a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 and it's amazingly accurate but not what I consider a deer rifle.
The Tikka is also twice the $$$ I see the Marlin and Ruger for on Gunbroker.

So, of these three , which would you choose?
Leaning toward a Marlin as I'm not a fan of detachable mags in a hunting rifle, but have no experience w them.

The other option is a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington that is tucked in the safe already. Just not sure how capable it is of making a 200 yard shot?

With Hornady FTX bullets and LeveRevolution powder to mimic the factory loads (or usually beat them) you can use that 35 Rem to 200 yards. I would sight it in at 150 and go shooting.

If you need (!) a new rifle I'd find a used Vanguard, but that should surprise no one here that I say that. Else this seller always has Howa rifles at the lowest price:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =460965904

I've got a Vanguard 243 but w a 24 inch barrel it's not exactly light.
Considered rebarreling it into a 308 but for what that would cost I can buy the Ruger or the Marlin.

May have to look harder at the 35 Rem

HTDUCK":2gdevo9v said:
I've got a Vanguard 243 but w a 24 inch barrel it's not exactly light.

May have to look harder at the 35 Rem
They make them in a carbine length (20 inch barrel) as well, but that's likely only ounces off.

I enjoy my 35 Rem rifles, and they're fun to reload. This winter I'll start working on my next load for them.

I've helped a couple of folks put together Ruger Americans- an '06 and a youth model .243.... they both would shoot MOA with several brands of ammunition.

That youth model carbine in .308 would be the bee's knee's for what you describe- light and compact.

Based on your criteria, I think it would be tough to beat the Ruger American.
Other possibilities could be Remington M7 and Winchester M70 Featherweight but they will cost more.

JD338

I have a Ruger M77 in 243 that is short and light. Not sure if they make it anymore though.

I have a S&W 1500 (Howa) in 243 with a wood stock. They are quite heavy.

hodgeman":3okg4j4b said:
I've helped a couple of folks put together Ruger Americans- an '06 and a youth model .243.... they both would shoot MOA with several brands of ammunition.

That youth model carbine in .308 would be the bee's knee's for what you describe- light and compact.

Got my little brother a LH Ruger American in 270 for Christmas. Just pulled some "most accurate" loads for the 140 AB and RL22 from the book. After zeroing at 25 yards it out three groups under 1.5" at 200 yards over an old folding table for me. I was very impressed for a rifle that cost 342 bucks.

I'd give another a try for that sorta stuff. They aren't pretty but they are light and durable.

hodgeman":1suv1vtf said:

My co-worker has short arms and wanted a light weight, short, bolt action rifle that he didn't mind banging around and dangling from a rope going up and down tree stands. He bought a .308 youth model and loves it. He shoots MOA with two different brands of ammo.

I have always been a Tikka fan. Have several of the older models but just acquired my first Tikka T3 and it is a superlite in .308win. All I can say is it is a fine rifle, out of the box its 5.8 lbs. I have it scoped with, low Talley light mounts and a vx3-2.5-8x36. It weighs in a tad over 6 1/2 lbs scoped. I don't know what your price range is but since you have a Tikka you know the quality and accuracy.Lee (y)

The T3 is a bargain--one of the finest rifles for the price that you can acquire. Ruger makes a fine rifle, but it is clearly outclassed by the Tikka. The Marlins I have shot were very nice, though the T3 is the more classy rifle.

Well gents this dilemma is over.
Wandered into the local mom and pop gunshop just for a look see.
Right place, right time. :mrgreen:

Used but unfired Ruger American in 308 w a camo stock.
Already had Burris low tactical rings on it and an extra mag included.
Out the door for $270.00

Trigger sold me.

Granted it isn't a Tikka but it's a 308.
I'll bet next weeks pay it'll shoot.

If cost isn't a big issue then the tikka t3 super lite hands down. If cost is an issue go with the ruger American. Chances are either will shoot well.

One thing the ruger has going for it is you don't have to get replacement metal parts to replace the plastic on the tikka

HTDUCK":2r3lfc5m said:
Well gents this dilemma is over.
Wandered into the local mom and pop gunshop just for a look see.
Right place, right time. :mrgreen:

Used but unfired Ruger American in 308 w a camo stock.
Already had Burris low tactical rings on it and an extra mag included.
Out the door for $270.00

Trigger sold me.

Granted it isn't a Tikka but it's a 308.
I'll bet next weeks pay it'll shoot.
Good deal. My 308 that fits the type of use you mention has a VX3 2.5-8 on it. A 3-9x40 might be a Better buy and Gather a bit more light.

Thebear_78":1uq088qg said:
If cost isn't a big issue then the tikka t3 super lite hands down. If cost is an issue go with the ruger American. Chances are either will shoot well.

One thing the ruger has going for it is you don't have to get replacement metal parts to replace the plastic on the tikka
I concur.
Seeing as how you bought the Ruger I think you made an excellent choice. I'm interested in how it shoots for you.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Found a Savage Axis with in 243 with a FX 4 on it for $320 on the used rack at cabelas today. already have a 243 or that one might have come home just for the scope! Not your 308 but easy enough to swap a barrel on one of those. Occasionally you can find a youth model 308 pretty cheap. Better recoil pad for some length and you might have just what you want. Short, light, handy. CL

Nice find Howard. Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

Back