Lightweight Wolf/Antelope/Deer - 22-250?

Feb 18, 2011
Looking for thoughts on this idea...
..Want a lightweight mountain gun to chase wolves and coyotes in the winter, but also something that my wife (5'2" 120 pounds) could use for antelope and deer..

I think I have set my self on a Tikka T3 Stainless, fluted 22-250 with the idea of shooting 50-60 grain bullets, specifically the 60 grain Partition if it will stabilize and shoot well. Probably glass it with a Swaro 3-9x36 and have a nice handy package under 7 pounds.

I think your package sounds good, i would look at the .243 instead of the 22-250. Identical platform, just more options and energy involved with the .243 in the event of a shot past 300 yards "antelope and deer".

If she shoots and does not kill and harvest a deer, she may never hunt again. Using too small a caliber is taking a big risk for this reason!

Let me clarify a bit....This will be 90% dedicated LW wolf/coyote gun...My wife very rarely hunts so the odds of her actually using it is low.

I hunt wolves in 7000-9000 ft Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness that is as wild as the wolves themselves...I need lightweight and handy.

Well it sounds like you are liking the tikka and last I checked they only make one length action so even if you do opt for a long action cartridge like the 25-06 it should handle the same as the 22-250. May buck a little more but it is very manageable

Well then I would do the 243 55 gr bullets if you want light but up to 100 gr is nice. Never hunted wolf but I would rather hit them with something a little bigger than a 22 just me though

I want to turn my 22-250 into a 250 savage or a 25souper for a dual purpose coyote and deer rifle and if you are saving fur a good hollow point helps with that

22-250 is a nice round. Maybe not ideal for deer but I've seen a few deer and a couple caribou flattened with one.

Nothing wrong with it if not abused at long range or used with varmint bullets on big game.

nitis":n7h3ma9s said:
At minimum 243 for certain. I would actually do the 25-06 myself

I agree.

I don't know about Idaho but I do believe the 22-250 and .223 are considered too small for antelope and deer in WY. That may, or may not, be a concern for you.

The 25-06 is a good round for deer, antelope, coyotes, mountain lions, and wolves in my opinion. Since you already have a .270 why not have her shoot that? The .243 would be the minimum as far as I'm concerned if just looking for one rifle for your wife.

Good luck to the both of you and I hope you can get those wolves thinned out some.

the 22-250 is fine for deer and antelope, I used a 22x47 lapua last year to take both. However i was also using an 80 grain vld going 3400 fps to do that, a bit of a difference in regards to terminal performance. I am not saying the 22-250 will not work in that arena because employed correctly it will, I am saying the .243 will be a bit more forgiving in the event of a less than desirable shot.

Idahotrophyhunter":28zs5dfy said:
Let me clarify a bit....This will be 90% dedicated LW wolf/coyote gun...My wife very rarely hunts so the odds of her actually using it is low.

I hunt wolves in 7000-9000 ft Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness that is as wild as the wolves themselves...I need lightweight and handy.

I would look for a used Rem 700 mountain in 260 rem or go with the Tikka in 260 rem more than light enough more power and range than the 22-250 or the 243 and better choices bullet wise too. The 260 is a gem of a cartridge if you are a hand loader and will run neck and neck with the 25-06 with 100-120 bullets and step up one notch with 140 class bullets. That would cover anything you wanted to do on your list and your wife would be able to shoot it too with out any recoil issues.

Have no Idea how big your wolves are down your way but up here in western Kanuckikstan they get pretty big and wounding and having to find a pack animal would not be high on my list priorities while out in the bush.

I use a .257 Roberts with 85 grain Ballistic Tips at 3395 fps. This or a .25-06 would serve you better on Wolves.

My choice would be the .243 with 55's for the smaller varmints, 70's for wolves, and 100's for deer.
But with a broadside or frontal shot, I wouldn't hesitate the 55's on wolves either.

A Savage weather Warrior in 250-3000 Savage. I'm Baaaack.... :) CL Seriously you wont find a better cal.and they might chamber it in the Lady Hunter. If not the custom shop will do it for you. CL

Howcome nobody mention the .240Weatherby?. What have that caliber done to any of you all?...:LOL

:mrgreen:

Rigbymauser":65o14ul4 said:
Howcome nobody mention the .240Weatherby?. What have that caliber done to any of you all?...:LOL

:mrgreen:

He wants his wife to use the rifle during deer season. Too much recoil. Almost twice as much recoil as the 25-06 or the 243. I have three females in my home that hunt ( wife, daughter, and mother ) and recoil is something that needs to be considered. Also the cost of and availability of ammo if one does not reload.

OP, I know this is not what you want to hear, but you might want to consider two different rifles, as has been mentioned, if she doesnt have enough gun for a clean kill she may not want to hunt again.

The .22-250 doesn't bother me at all for pronghorn or deer, it will work fine. However, I don't like the Tikka or any other rifle that only offers a 1:14 twist for the .22-250. I'd rather have a 1:9 or faster twist .223 any day over the .22-250 with a 14 twist. I don't know if the Partition or new Bonded Core to stabilize in it but you'd probably be better off running a 45 up to possibly a 55 grain mono-metal bullet for deer and pronghorn.

My 10 year old would argue that the .22 cals are big enough for deer, as she took this nice doe at 140 yards with a .223 Rem 55 grain TSX Barnes Vortex ammo last fall when she was nine.

1353633185.jpg

Here is another good post that my buddy did after he took his son hunting in TX at eight with a .223 Rem and he was handicapped by a 1:14 twist in his son's rifle. 45 grain TSX bullets were the only hunting bullet he could get to shoot out of the .223 but of course with the extra speed of a .22-250 you'll have more options.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 1091083361

Idahotrophyhunter":3rcsm8lq said:
Looking for thoughts on this idea...
..Want a lightweight mountain gun to chase wolves and coyotes in the winter, but also something that my wife (5'2" 120 pounds) could use for antelope and deer..

I think I have set my self on a Tikka T3 Stainless, fluted 22-250 with the idea of shooting 50-60 grain bullets, specifically the 60 grain Partition if it will stabilize and shoot well. Probably glass it with a Swaro 3-9x36 and have a nice handy package under 7 pounds.

...I'd be doing some serious thinking about a .22-250 before I plopped down the money. Most of "da woofs" around here are larger/ heavier than your avg. whitetail & the times I coulda got shots inside 400yds have been very rare. Even pushing a 60gr. @ 3400fps MV, you're looking @ 2' of wind drift @ 400yds, a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor would have about the same "felt recoil" as a .22-250 & deliver twice as much bullet, 3x the energy, w/ about the same "drop" & half as much windage. A 7-08 would do about the same. You could load 'em back a little for your wife, & still have twice as much "deer rifle" in a comparable package. The Tikka T3 Lite or something like this Browning...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =355533959

...would probably suit your needs better, just my opinion...

Back