Listen to Nosler's Advice on Loading the E-Tips!

Bob in TX

Handloader
Dec 3, 2004
Hey Y'all,

I have to tell on myself. :oops:

I decided to give the 150 gr. E-Tips a try in my 7mm-08 this week. Nosler recommends using the mid-range loads as max with the E-Tips. I knew better, but decided to take a short cut and load the mid-range to start. I loaded 40.0 grs. of RL-15 using Rem brass, and BR-2 primers to 2.800" COL.

I ended up with a blown primer and a broken ejector...........

If you are loading the new E-Tips, start at the minimum and work up to the middle. Do as I say, not what I did!

I will be following that sage advice using them this week to work up a load for my 7MM STW. That is what I got the 150's for in the first place.

Bob

Bob in TX

I am glad to hear that you are OK, could have been much worse!

Pressures can climb quickly, even on what seems like mild loads.
A lot of times what I do is start on the low end, 1 round and 1 gr increments to quickly get where I want to be.

The 150 gr E-Tip should be a dandy in your 7mm STW. Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

Yep, definately lucky! I usually work up in .5 gr. increments. I was lured into a moment of relaxed vigilance by the "mid-range" information........should have listened. My mistake.

It would be nice to have some actual load data to work with when a new bullet is released. I don't see why this seems to be hard to do?

Bob

Due to the lack of load data from Nosler and this article from Shooting Times (http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition ... index.html), I developed my 30-06 150 grain E-tip load by dropping two grains from the IMR4350 max of 59 grains. The Shooting Tmes article states that the same load for the Accubonds works for the E-tips. With much Nosler load development I have seen that once a recipe is derived the BTs, partitions and accubonds are interchangeable in the same recipe. When I developed a 150 grain Ballistic Tip load the best group was acheived at 59 grains of IMR 4350. The Nosler manual states that 59 grains is the best load tested for 150 grain pellets.

I started shooting my loads with first 57 grains and started going up in 1/2 grain increment. I was carefully looking at my brass to insure there were no signs of overpressure ( I always look for overpressure signs when load developing). The most accurate load ended up at 59 grains just like the article stated and absolutely no sign of over pressure on the brass. I did have to seat the bullet 10 thousandths deeper than I seat my 165 grain loads but that doesn't seem to be a big deal.

The chronographed muzzle velocity was 2994FPS from a 10 shot average. My 30-06 loads are 165 grain bullets, with Nosler BTs at 2829 fps and 2880 with Hornady SSTs. The 2994 for the 150 grain E-tip seemed a bit higher than I expected but I believe it has a higher BC. I was expecting about 2900fps.

Am I overpressure? I did note a anomaly with my Winchester Model 70 that came up. After about 40 E-tip bullets ( had previously tried RL19 powder and the IMR 4350 yielded tighter more consistent groups) I had a problem loading the chamber when insering the round directly into the chamber. I visited my gunsmith with a dummy load (no powder and no primer, with a bullet seated at the depth that my rifle liked). He told me that what I'm seeing is not uncommon on Modsel 70s. He said when you load directly into the chamber sometimes model 70 extractors don't properly seat on the rim. He said I need to load from the magazine and he showed me how it loads well from the magazine. Just to be sure I loaded up some more and went back to the range and everything worked well when I loaded from the magazine. Again, no signs of pressure.

I talked to two different gunsmiths and they both feel that this 59 grain load shoudn't be a problem in my Model 70.

Comment please.

Bob in TX":2uagfe6z said:
I decided to give the 150 gr. E-Tips a try in my 7mm-08 this week. Nosler recommends using the mid-range loads as max with the E-Tips. I knew better, but decided to take a short cut and load the mid-range to start. I loaded 40.0 grs. of RL-15 using Rem brass, and BR-2 primers to 2.800" COL.

I ended up with a blown primer and a broken ejector...........
Bob

Seems I have heard this story before .... Barnes X, Barnes XLC, ... etc.

:idea:

Hmm... Interesting. Glad you're okay!

Barnes published guidelines for the TSX when it first came out - recommending handloaders work up to a grain or two OVER their published loads from the older X bullets. I did so, and came out a happy camper with the .25-06 and the 100 gr TSX, but felt like a bit of an explorer without a published load to follow exactly. It has turned out to be a fine load by the way.

So the TSX works well with higher powder charges than normal, and the new Nosler works better with lower powder charges? Or is that too broad of a generalization? One thing's for sure, these new "monolithic" bullets are teaching us old handloaders some new tricks.

Regards, Guy

honkeetonkin":cpzeddrb said:
Sorry about your misfortune Bob, but a broken ejecter is better than a glass eye or worse. :cry:

no doubt!

The E-Tip will not be as forgiving as a classical design or even a pure copper design. I would start at minimum load data and work up because of the difference in chamber and bore tolerances from rifle to rifle.

Ok folks heres a question for you, have any of you shot the E tips in 400 yd plus ranges. I tried on several occasions to load Barnes copper bullets in my 7 mag and 30-06 but had horrible results with grouping past 275 yds. I have been using the Nosler 140 gr BT for the past 6 years now in my 7mag and have excellent results out to 600 yds. Before I go out and try the Etip I would like to get some input from anyone who has tried them. And if anyone has had any issues with tumble or finding keyholes on their target. Barnes left a bad taste in my mouth for solid copper rounds.

In 30 cal was able to load 75gr's of H 4350 in my 300 win.No pressure and scary accurate..76 grains had pressure signs.Also found they shot better for me when backed off the lands opossed to hanging them out.

I've loaded and shot 180gr's in a 300Wby, and 130gr's in my 270Wby, and neither time did I get anything like great results. I got very low velocities compared to other bullets of equal weight, and my accuracy was closer to minute-of-barn-door than minute of angle. I'm sure it's just my lack of experience with them, and the relative few loads I tried, but so far, the E-Tips are not doing it for me. Of course, neither are the TTSX's, so it's nothing against Nosler. I have had excellent results from some other bullets in the 270Wby, but the 300 is not mine, and I've only shot it with my handloads on one range trip, so no real indications there. I've got 100 of each (minus what I've shot up already) so I'll keep at it. I hope I can find an accurate load with them. I'm sure experimentation will allow me to achieve my goals.

Back