Load data for 168 E-tip in 30-06?

boldaddy

Beginner
Nov 14, 2008
Does anyone know of a place to get load data for this bullet? The data on nosler.com doesn't list the E-Tip in its bullet lineup for the 165, and offers no 168 option.

I thought I'd just use the 165 data from the Nosler manual. My accuracy was terrible. I've got a rifle that is loving the 180 GR partitions, but is opening up terribly with the 168 E-Tips.

I learned on one of the threads that they need more 'jump' and less powder than normal, but I'd sure like to find some actual published data.

Thanks,

Glen

Glen, the word from Nosler is that the mid-level data for their lead core bullets is the max with the E-Tip, so gauge accordingly. I've tried these in several rifles, with great results in one, mediocre initial testing in one, and a clear indication to try something different in the third. You're on the right track in giving them more jump, but also look for the slowest powders that are appropriate for the cartridge and bullet weight. In this case, since I've had excellent success with 168gr Ballistic Tips and H4350, I'll go ahead and suggest you try that combo, starting at something like 54-55gr and working up to maybe 57gr or so, depending on the pressure signs. Try starting about .050-.100" shorter than what you're seeing as accurate with lead-core bullets.

I've also found the E-Tips are sensitive to seating depth, and the sweet spot is relatively narrow. Good luck with it.

Thanks fellas. I'll give some 4350 a try when I get back from Elk hunting.

Glen

Glen,

As mentioned, mid range loads are max loads with the E-Tips. Start at .100" off the lands.

JD338

Back