Load data for the 270?????

dustygriley

Beginner
Oct 10, 2004
I am relatively new to reloading and am looking for a good load to use in my 270. I shoot a Remington model 700 outifitted with a Leupold 3x9x40. A friend loaded some 150 gr. ballistic tips for me that shoot excellent, but when it comes to taken down a deer, well I question them. I have shot a few deer with these loads but it always takes more than 1 shot and the bullets seem to just fall apart on impact without doing much damage. So I have purchased some nosler 150 grain partitions and am wondering if anybody has any suggestions as far as amount of powder ect. I previously have loaded the ballistic tips with 56.2 grains of H4831 and can put a group of 3 all touching each other at 150 yards. This load is extremely accurate in this gun, but what should I expect if I switch bullets??? Will it make that much difference in my accuracy or should I mess around with my loads? I have all the ballistic data in books that I can get but am just wondering if anybody has some personal experience with these loads. Any help will be greatly appreciated.....

I would back off my previous load by 3 grains and work up to your current load to see if you encounter any pressure signs. Chances are good that your ballistic tip load will work fine with the Partition. I would be surprised if the Partition matches the excellent accuracy you have achieved with the ballistic tips. If you crave the BT accuracy and sleeker profile of the plastic tip, try some of the 140 gr Accubonds. I hear that they are outstanding, and I am hoping to field test them this weekend in my 270 short mag.

I have been usung the 140 AccuBond in my 270WSM. Accuracy has been as good as BTs. I used the AccuBond on a pronghorn with excellent results. At the shot the Buck was down and dead with a heart - lung shot. I think you would be happy with the AccuBond.

Thanks for your oppinions, The more research I do, the more I tend to want to try these new accubonds. Are they made in a 150 grain for the 270???

I've been shooting a rem 700 chambered in 270 win for about 15 years now, most of the factory ammo that I bought was fereral premium 140 gr ballistic tip and had no trouble with it. Last year I started reloading and stuck with the 140 gr bt, loading 58 grains of h4831sc powder, and using cci 250 mag. primers, I haven't had any problems killing deer anywhere from 25 yards to 250 yards. At he range I'm maintaining a five shot clover leaf that is an inch and a half high at 100 yards. I'm fixing to load some accubonds just to see if I like them as good as the bt, I'll probably post my opinion later this week or next. I hope what I've said can be of some help.

The classic load is a 130 gr bullet and 60 grains of H4831. Many folks say the new H4831sc is a bit hotter than the older stuff, my sons gun loves 130 flatbased bullets and 59 gr of H4831sc (havent tried Partition) , the CCA magnum primer helps, but it won't shoot boattails. The larger 150 gr bullets are unneccesary for Whitetail, even big Alberta bucks. I haven't tried btips either, just normal lead cup works great on deer. One of these days I will try partitions but when I do it will be 130 gr CCI 250 magnum primer and 59 gr of H4831sc..

dustygriley":3qghsij8 said:
Thanks for your oppinions, The more research I do, the more I tend to want to try these new accubonds. Are they made in a 150 grain for the 270???

at this time, the accubonds in .270 caliber are limited to the 140 grain weight. They have been very accurate in my .270WSM and I would not hesitate to use them on deer or elk. But to be on the safe side, I do have some Partitions in 150 gr weight, just in case....

Dustygriley,

I have shot lots and lots of Ballistic Tips and Partitions in lots and lots of Rem 700's in a half dozen 270W's. And Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 270/280/06's have universally been the most accurate, and the fastest through my chronographs. All three holes touching at 150 yds is very, very good. I have found if your rifle/barrel/load loves Ballistic Tips, it will mostly likely shoot Partitions very well also (and vica versa). We can get into bearing surface, jacket thickness, jacket hardness, core hardness, effect of the partion, and resulting pressure and friction differences of Ballistic Tip vs Partion--but my experience has shown the same rifle, with same cartridge components (except for substituting a Partition for a Ballistic Tip or vica versa) generally will shoot both bullets well. Velocity will most likely differ some, as will the point of impact. But remember, check the bullet seating depth for each bullet style--it's the most important for accuracy, especially when all other things are equal. Oh, and I have burned pounds and pounds of H4831 through those same 270's. I have found H4831 to be somewhat "forgiving" when working up hot elk loads. Although I am messin' with some of the newer powders for my Barnes X/TSX bullets. (Please don't shoot me Nosler!!).

Casey

I won't give too much trouble. That is the beauty of reloading. You get to find what bullets work best for your particular rifle.

Back