Loading 7mm MAG

CoyoteWright

Beginner
Apr 20, 2007
Im looking for a loading info for CT ballistic silvertips with IMR powder.It will be shot out of a 26 inch Remington, any new info would help.

Let me be the first to welcome you. This is a great place and the knowledge is simply phenomenal.

Can you be more specific as to the bullet weight you want to use and which powder?

4350 or 4831 will work for you. If you want to try something different, Reloder 22 is excellent in the 7 mag.

I agree with smoker. Unless you're dead set on IMR, RL22 is more forgiving on pressure. Also, I don't know what type of powder thrower you use, but my RCBS throws 22 alot better than the big extruded powders like 4831. It tends to cut the grains of powder. At any rate, a 150 PT with 64 grns of 4831 shoots extremely well in my ruger. As well as a 140 AB with 65.5 RL22. Both are tack drivers, but I've gotten more velocity, and more consistent powder throwing with the 22.

Welcome to the Forum!

Not sure what you are using your 7mm RM for. A good all around load would be the 160 gr AB and RL22. You can cover anything from Mice to Moose. :wink:

JD338

Wow... Some excellent advice above! The 7mm Rem mag is likely my favorite hunting cartridge. Am partial to the 160 - 175 gr bullets over Reloader 22, although H4831 deserves consideration as well. Both powders produce good velocity and excellent accuracy.

Regards, Guy

The bullet is 150 gr. combined technology ballistic silvertip and I was thinking of IMR 4350 or IMR 4895. Mainly for deer 300 yds and under.

Definately go with 4350 over 4895. If you have 4831, thats a little bit slower burning, might be good with the 150g.

Definately nothing wrong with IMR-4350 for 150g bullets. My dad uses around 62-63g out of his 7 RM w/ 150g NBT's. Very accurate at 2950fps.

I use a combo of 150 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with a Remington Case ( But use whatever cases you have around ) Federal #215 Primer and 61.0 Grains of IMR 4831. Very accurate. And this is an ass kicker load! But this load is pretty fast for anything under a couple hundred yards ( Even though it's on the light side according to the book ) At anything close it blows the Bullet to pieces on anything other than Rib shots! Which is fine, ( It takes em all down! ) But it ruins the shoulder on the side that you shoot.

I believe moly coating will decrease the drag the bullet has as it goes through the bore, thus creating less pressure. So no i don't see how it would be harmful in any way. Start at 61.0 Grains and work your way up. Or just load them to 61.0 Grains, and you should be safe. Keep in mind that max. book load is 65.0 Grains with IMR 4831 and the 150 Grain Bullet. for the 7mm Rem. Mag. And book O.A.L is 3.290". I seat mine .030" from the lands ( Rifling ) so they're quite a bit longer than that. But if you don't know how to do all that stick to the book length!

Hope this helps you out a little. I love the 7mm Caliber. Very flat shooter. And a very high Ballistic Coefficient ( very accurate ). Of course i have others, but am very fond of it!

I'm using 63.8grians of RL-19 behind 140gn AccuBonds. Federal 215's.
This is a early 1970's M700 BDL that shoots under half inch groups at 100yrds.

Back